78 members have voted

1. 1. Best decade?

• 50s
    • 60s
    • 70s
    • 80s
    • 90s
    • This current decade (*4 years of)

I would say the 1930s because Son House and Robert Johnson wrote the songs which became the basis for so much ripped off by the white boys in the post-war years.

It is notable and characteristic how White Stripes in the example above produce a lot of the power and guitar pyrotechnics but entirely fail to capture the emotion of the original Son House.

Edited by MakemineVanilla

I've probably already posted in this thread that it was the 80's  and indeed Absolute 80's is still my radio station of choice  .... but lately I'm finding myself on a bit of a 90's journey  .. Indeed my gig list for this year is almost a 90's revival  ... but saying that I thjink I'd go   80's ,90's,60's ,00's ,70's ,10;s

5 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Isn't the rule of thumb that "The best era for music was your seven teenage years"?

For me, that was 1967 through 1973, and absolutely fits the bill.

Interesting you say that, 83 to 89, and although they were formative, 80's nostalgia and the music of the 80's is horrid.

67 to 73..have you borrowed someone else's teenage years :D

I'd never heard that "rule"  before but I think you could be onto something

it would be 83 to 89 for me  ... Big Country  :)  , U2 , Simple Minds , Big Country , The Jam .The Cure , Duran Duran ,The Police , The Housemartins , The Smiths the under rated and often overlooked Tears for Fears

actually the first record I remember really "loving" was Save a Prayer ... I find it a bit irritating now , but over playing and familiarity does that I guess

Edited by tonyh29

23 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Isn't the rule of thumb that "The best era for music was your seven teenage years"?

In my teenage years Britpop was the music of choice, and I very rarely listen to any of it these days. There are a few exceptions, such as Super Furry Animals, Teenage Fanclub, etc, but on the whole it bores the life out of me now. When I think of some of the terrible albums I've got at the back of my CD collection, I shudder. 

Not to dimiss the entire decade though, there was lots of fantastic music made in the 90s. It's just I was too set in my ways at the time, and very easily influanced by what my friends were listening to (you need to fit in when you're a teenager). As the same time, I always had my own peculiar tastes. Although I'd probably have never told my mates I was listening to Tamla Motown, and old Jamaican Ska. What would Liam and Noel think of that?! 

7 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

1974 to 1982 just phoned, they'd like The Jam back, thanks.

D'oh  ....... I could have sworn I was 13 when Town called Malice came out   ... well you know what the say if you can remember the 80's you weren't there  ....

The Jam were my bit of teenage bliss. The only band where at the time, in that moment, it felt like we were in the same gang.

I took it all very seriously back then. Which I guess is fine, when you're young.

(in about '85 / '86 John Weller asked me what I thought about the idea of a Jam reunion. I said it was a bad idea, it was over and it would just look like business, to which he said 'is the right answer!' I'm not claiming any consultancy or guru status there, I think he was vox popping, asking anyone and everyone that would listen.)

22981459966_7715a87222_z.jpg

• Like 3

Im into instrumental music (especially drums ) and my taste ranges from Benny Goodman and Gene Krupa in the 40s to The Shadows and Sandy Nelson in the 60s to Herb Alpert in the 70s etc etc etc.

Check out "Stranger on the shore" Acker Bilk."Bongo Bongo bongo" Preston Epps."Tijuans taxi" Herb Alpert.and "Topsy part2" Cozy Cole. 

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

That rule of thumb gives me 1990 thru '96.  Not a bad rule of thumb, but again I think even objectively they were pretty good years.  Me thinks we got lucky even allowing for the thumb :D

FWIW if I had to pick a decade I'd go 70s, but I'd rather pick a 10 year span starting around '64 or '65.

38 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

The Jam were my bit of teenage bliss. The only band where at the time, in that moment, it felt like we were in the same gang.

I took it all very seriously back then. Which I guess is fine, when you're young.

(in about '85 / '86 John Weller asked me what I thought about the idea of a Jam reunion. I said it was a bad idea, it was over and it would just look like business, to which he said 'is the right answer!' I'm not claiming any consultancy or guru status there, I think he was vox popping, asking anyone and everyone that would listen.)

22981459966_7715a87222_z.jpg

couple of school mates of mine know his family and I think PW turned up at one of the grand parents surprise parties but alas not any of the functions I've been to so alas never met him

I live about 3 miles from Woking and being the observant bloke I am I saw the sign post of " Stanley Road " from the album cover the other week  ... I've only gone past it about 388888888888888 times and always known Weller was from Woking , just never really made the link   ..D'oh again

• Like 1

When I actually think about the music I listened to in my teens, It's actually not as bad as I recall. I was a teenager between 1993 and 2000, so it wasn't all Britpop. During that time, I discoved bands like The Who, The Small Faces, The Jam, The Smiths, Joy Division, The Pistols, The Clash, Dylan, Led Zep, Sabbath, as well as 2Tone, which led to Ska and Reggae, and I revisited my parents records, and got into Soul music in a big way. As well as that, there was Nirvana, who kind of changed everything for me. Plus so many great acts that were putting out records at the time. Dance music and Hip Hop came a bit later in my teens too, when I started going to clubs.

I'd say the noughties are probably the worst. So much of the electronic/glitch music done on laptops in that decade has aged so badly, so too has most of 'backpack rap' that was popular at the time. All those rubbish NME championed bands like Libertines, Razorlight et al, Nu-Metal, Garage. Not much interesting happened in pop music either except for maybe Beyonce and Lady Gaga towards the end of the decade.

Edited by useless

Â