78 members have voted

1. 1. Best decade?

• 50s
    • 60s
    • 70s
    • 80s
    • 90s
    • This current decade (*4 years of)

Doesn't bother me whether music is manufactured or not as long as it sounds good to my ears. Likewise if there were some band who I enjoy and it was suddenly revealed that they don't write their own music/songs, and have ghost-writers or whatever, it wouldn't take away from my enjoyment at all.

This. Of course, it's the 'organic' bands that take the lead, so the manufactured bands are always behind the curve (Beatles --> Monkees). But I still like The Monkees.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I still like The Monkees.

"Ew! You like the Monkees? You know they don't write their own songs? They don't even play their own instruments. That's not even Michael Nesmith's real hat."

I still like The Monkees.

"Ew! You like the Monkees? You know they don't write their own songs? They don't even play their own instruments. That's not even Michael Nesmith's real hat."

Nesmith was (is) a major talent.

• Like 2

There's obviously no 'correct' answer to this. Music progresses. Tastes change. Different technologies come into play etc.

If I was going to vote, I'd go for the 90s, but that is only because they gave birth to some of my favourite bands (Massive Attack, Portishead, Saint Etienne, Belle and Sebastian).  But I have a soft spot for the 80s too, as that is when my musical education began in earnest (The Smiths, U2, Duran Duran, The Mighty Lemon Drops, Simple Minds, Furniture, The Woodentops etc). But I can go back and find great music from the 60s and 70s, and also love lots of more 'recent' stuff (Roykksop, Air, Micachu, Rilo Kiley, Jenny Lewis, Feist, Husky Rescue, Caribou etc). 

• Like 2

I really liked the 2000's. There was a time when there was so much decent indie music going about with loads of exciting bands. 

Love the 90's, huge respect for the 60's, I like some of the 80's, 70's holds no interest with me. 

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 3

On 21/1/2016 at 19:22, Xann said:

Sometimes get the feeling you didn't always swim in vats of stout.

You got me.  I used to drink Heineken.  I'm pretty sure that's what you meant.

• Like 1

I was 16 in 1995 and the height of Britpop and Cool Britannia. What a great time to be leaving school and making my way in the world. Has a great deal of affection for that era, however as I listen to bands/artists like Led Zep, the Who, Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, David Bowie, Elton John now then I guess my favourite era is from around that time.

I listened to the top ten in the chart the other day and modern music isn't for me! 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Xela said:

I was 16 in 1995 and the height of Britpop and Cool Britannia. What a great time to be leaving school and making my way in the world. Has a great deal of affection for that era, however as I listen to bands/artists like Led Zep, the Who, Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, David Bowie, Elton John now then I guess my favourite era is from around that time.

I listened to the top ten in the chart the other day and modern music isn't for me! 

Yeah, this is pretty much the case for me, the music of 1994-96 was great, at least it seemed to be at the time. Although I suspect a fair bit of the music from then hasn't aged well. Along with a few of bands you mentioned I'd add The Kinks, The Smiths, Joy Division, Hendrix, Oasis and a few others. Not sure what decade that means I prefer.

With the notable exception of The National, I haven't listened to much new stuff for a few years now, with only the occasional song I find myself enjoying ("Zombie" by Jamie T being the first example to come to mind, which I know is not exactly recent).

• Like 1

As a pragmatist I'd say the 90's.

Arguably the best dance music of all time came from that era. Then we had Brit Pop which was great.....and what were America doing? Nirvana no less.

00's absolutely dire decade all that gangstar rap rubbish and naff R'nB. Horribly bad decade.

10's Haven't been great either. Way too much EDM much of it nodding to the 90's...not one great band.

80's? Great for pop music but no great bands, all that hairspray shit as well.

70's? That glam stuff was rubbish, disco was ok and is getting redone now (which is doing my head in@MarkRonson). Punk was good but only the 3rd best guitar era. (behind 90's and 60's)

60's? Second best....the best bands for sure but need more than that to win overall. 

Edited by supernova26

12 minutes ago, AVFC_Hitz said:

I don't want to sound like a nobber but can you elaborate and provide sauce?

I think I've seen something on this, back catalogue music outselling 'new', I think there was some small print. But I can't remember where I saw it. My guess is on Vinyl Factory....

The Vinyl Factory

it's 'physical' which I guess by default doesn't include download, which makes me think the market is skewed by fat middle aged men trying to wring out the last of their yoof....     :ph34r:

Currentphysical-768x576.jpg

Edited by chrisp65

16 hours ago, useless said:

For the first time old music is outselling new music.

Simple explanation - old people like old music, and they buy it. Young people like new music, but they stream/steal it. 

Complex explanation - something more complex. 

• Like 1

Plus the choice of what 'old' music is constantly increases, so 'back catalogues' are constantly getting better choice.  New music is constant, and arguably deteriorating but also easier to avoid buying aswell.  A double double whammy.

• Like 1

Old musics and old formats seem to be making a comeback, maybe there's a correlation between the two. Report doesn't take into account the second hand market either which I imagine is mostly 'old' music.

6 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Simple explanation - old people like old music, and they buy it. Young people like new music, but they stream/steal it. 

Complex explanation - something more complex. 

Also, there's more old music available, by definition (very little is taken out of circulation) so the ratio of new to old music available to buy continually decreases. So you'd expect, as well as old gimmers buying, that younger folks would maybe go to back catalogue stuff from bands they discover, and so on.

Edit - BOF beat me to it - I replied before I saw his excellent post.

Â