The Arab Spring and "the War on Terror"

legov

Ive just seen a documentary about a "swedish" guy who joined isis and i have to say iam scared that people like him are living in my society.

According to him they all travel down to die in jihad, they dont say RIP when someone dies they say congratulations ?

He also says that according to the quran, if you have prisoners they must eat and sleep as well as you and that takes alot of effort so it's easier to kill them.

And he is 100% sure that virgins are waiting for him when he dies cause he's been such a good muslim, killing infidels etc.

People who belive in this shit must have some kind of brain damage or very low IQ, there can be no other explanation.

I know who this guy is now. A forum have outed him. Feels weird to have this information on a known killer.

I just hope his dream comes true, that he dies in jihad sooner rather than later.

And why are they so upset about the yanks bombing them if they all wanna die in jihad, surley dying in a bomb attack must count as a jihad death..

I read this a few days ago when it was posted and I can't get over this quote:

Choudary took pains to present the laws of war under which the Islamic State operates as policies of mercy rather than of brutality. He told me the state has an obligation to terrorize its enemies—a holy order to scare the shit out of them with beheadings and crucifixions and enslavement of women and children, because doing so hastens victory and avoids prolonged conflict.

In other news, maybe not for this thread, Boko Haram have used a seven-year-old girl as a suicide bomber.

I read this a few days ago when it was posted and I can't get over this...

It's absolutely barking: they want the scrap with the Army of Rome(?) at a particular spot in Syria, they want to nearly lose, because Jesus (Our Jesus! ;)) comes to lead the last 5000 IS* survivors to victory.

Istanbul gets sacked, the apocalypse comes.

So it would appear that placing an army on this particular spot in Syria would bring IS* together to attack it.

Then either they all get wiped out, or Jesus returns.

The World has gone mental.

I read today 60 countries are actively opposing Isis. How is there not the pooled resources to just **** them off? If I had gone around my school playground physically attacking everyone, sooner or later I would've been battered.

I read this a few days ago when it was posted and I can't get over this...

It's absolutely barking: they want the scrap with the Army of Rome(?) at a particular spot in Syria, they want to nearly lose, because Jesus (Our Jesus! ;)) comes to lead the last 5000 IS* survivors to victory.

Istanbul gets sacked, the apocalypse comes.

So it would appear that placing an army on this particular spot in Syria would bring IS* together to attack it.

Then either they all get wiped out, or Jesus returns.

The World has gone mental.

and for those of you that enjoy the occasional bit of late night american evangelical TV, there are plenty of guys over there preaching that we should take them up on the offer and have an 'end of days' showdown

I'm not sure what they're after. I mean, all that religious death cult stuff sounds bonkers enough to fit the profile, and it certainly gains supporters, but there is an experienced top brass in among that lot and I find it hard to believe that they share those beliefs.

That wouldn't be out of the ordinary, of course. Maybe they just want power. My worry is that they'll carve out a chunk of land and be able to keep it because the dealing with them, and the millions under their control, is too difficult - a bit like North Korea.

I'd rather it wasn't allowed to get to that stage.

• Like 1

I'm not sure what they're after. I mean, all that religious death cult stuff sounds bonkers enough to fit the profile, and it certainly gains supporters, but there is an experienced top brass in among that lot and I find it hard to believe that they share those beliefs.

It's very hard to get.

Even the crusades, for the most part, were more seemingly rational. Figures such as Saladin and Richard the Lionhearted had very specific territorial and politcal goals, and they tended towards a kind of stasis and detente. There were plenty of massacres, but there were also clear efforts to avoid massacres because people seemed to accept that they would have to live with each other somehow in the end. And this was 1,000 years ago, so, I figure, well, it was a lot easier to get your head chopped off.

The Intercept's Rebuttal to the Atlantic Piece

Despite what its many critics (including President Obama) will tell you, the Islamic State is indeed Islamic, and actually very Islamic, according to ISIS itself — and also according to The Atlantic, which endorsed the group’s narrative in a widely circulated essay published this week entitled “What ISIS Really Wants.”

In the piece, author Graeme Wood makes the case that the militant group — whose actions have sparked protests and widespread revulsion around the world — represents a highly authentic version of Islam. Far from being an aberrant or deviant offshoot of traditional Islamic beliefs, it is described as being a faithful expression of them — representing “a coherent and even learned expression of Islam.” While the author notes that the overwhelming majority of Muslims do not share the views of Islamic State, and indeed see the group as un-Islamic, he denies that their version of the religion is more genuine.

• Like 1

The Intercept's Rebuttal to the Atlantic Piece

Despite what its many critics (including President Obama) will tell you, the Islamic State is indeed Islamic, and actually very Islamic, according to ISIS itself — and also according to The Atlantic, which endorsed the group’s narrative in a widely circulated essay published this week entitled “What ISIS Really Wants.”

In the piece, author Graeme Wood makes the case that the militant group — whose actions have sparked protests and widespread revulsion around the world — represents a highly authentic version of Islam. Far from being an aberrant or deviant offshoot of traditional Islamic beliefs, it is described as being a faithful expression of them — representing “a coherent and even learned expression of Islam.” While the author notes that the overwhelming majority of Muslims do not share the views of Islamic State, and indeed see the group as un-Islamic, he denies that their version of the religion is more genuine.

Read it a week ago -- but I still didn't feel quite persuaded although I admire the efforts to figure it out. Article was too much on theology, too little on anthropology. I also think a feminist perspective would shed much light. ISIS seems so much about fear and hatred of women.

That wouldn't be out of the ordinary, of course. Maybe they just want power. My worry is that they'll carve out a chunk of land and be able to keep it because the dealing with them, and the millions under their control, is too difficult - a bit like North Korea.

I'd rather it wasn't allowed to get to that stage.

I really dont know who they are, what kind of twisted religion they claim to follow or what they want.

They are certainly not followers of the real Islam.

Im yet to meet a single Muslim in any mosque i pray in that supports ISIS, infact the Imams are now starting to denounce them in their speeches before friday prayers.

3 UK girls thought to be heading to Syria

What on earth attracts them to that type of life?

There have been loads of stories in the press about Muslim girls leaving UK to go across and marry IS fighters. The really weird thing is they must know what their potential future spouses are doing and to some extent at least be motivated by that knowledge - they don't actually know the men themselves so cannot be motivated by love for an individual.

That would suggest that either at school or in the communities these girls come from something is going very badly wrong indeed.

It will be interesting to see if they are treated differently from males who answer the call, should they decide they want to return.

I noticed that the spokesperson for Inspire (feminist advocacy group for Muslim women) was using the word 'groomed' last night which has been successfully used to deny moral agency for girls of this age and establish their blamelessness.

These girls/women certainly went to a lot of trouble to deceive their parents to make the trip and it will be interesting to see if they will be presented as helpless victims should they want to return.

I'm well aware that this comment is going to make me unpopular. 

I think the salient point about these individuals is not their gender, it's their age. They're 15. 

A large majority of politicians in the UK don't believe 16 year olds should be allowed to vote. With 15 year olds, we don't believe they are old enough to make informed decisions about anything, about who to vote, who to have sex with, what job to get, anything at all really. 

'Authorities' will work towards trying to help 15 year olds joining ISIS for precisely the same reason we treat a 15 year old girl who had sex with an 18 year old guy who she genuinely really likes as the victim of statutory rape. Maybe you think it's **** up, but how else can the system work?

He has a computer programming degree.  Why would somebody who practices Wahhabism which would like to the see the world back to it's 7th century state, want a computer programming degree?  Either way, he needs to die.

Known to security services who attempted to recruit him.  Wasn't allowed to move to Kuwait a few years ago when he got a job over there.  Seems like every bloody terrorist was known to the security services yet nothing is done to stop them.

• Like 1

Known to security services who attempted to recruit him. Wasn't allowed to move to Kuwait a few years ago when he got a job over there. Seems like every bloody terrorist was known to the security services yet nothing is done to stop them.

....as night follows day, "it was someone else's fault". If he hasn't done enough in the UK to remove his liberty then whether he is a wrong 'un in the making or not, there is only so much they can do. The alternative is internment and I can imagine the wails of "Islamaphobia!" if the security services were pre-emptively acting against people like this before they started murdering people.

As it stands now I hope the little rat gets caught and skinned alive.

Edited by Awol
  • Like 3

Â