The Arab Spring and "the War on Terror"

legov

The victim narrative peddled out here is starting to wear thin.

I agree.  As somebody said above, there are tens of thousands of murders in the US every year, and not all of them make the news.  The insuation that there are double standards because Muslims haven't commited them is laughable.  How many of those 150,000 murders were commited by Muslims?  I've no idea, and it probably isn't many, but it will be some and they're not all in the news.  Attacks like Paris make the news because they're so out of the ordinary.  Crazies shooting up a few people in the US is far less so, unfortunately.

.. Attacks like Paris make the news because they're so out of the ordinary.  Crazies shooting up a few people in the US is far less so, unfortunately.

No that's completely wrong. Crazies in the US shooting up people makes big news, and leads to similar outpourings and demonstrations and so on.

Haven't you seen the news these past few months? there was loads of coverage of when the crazies shot Michael Brown in Ferguson, Missouri - surely you remember? it really was all over the news internationally.

But you're right it's not just "da Police" that got guns in that there America, it's everyone. Even toddlers in supermarkets carry them.

I may have wandered slightly off topic. Sorry me.

.. Attacks like Paris make the news because they're so out of the ordinary.  Crazies shooting up a few people in the US is far less so, unfortunately.

No that's completely wrong. Crazies in the US shooting up people makes big news, and leads to similar outpourings and demonstrations and so on.

Haven't you seen the news these past few months? there was loads of coverage of when the crazies shot Michael Brown in Ferguson, Missouri - surely you remember? it really was all over the news internationally.

But you're right it's not just "da Police" that got guns in that there America, it's everyone. Even toddlers in supermarkets carry them.

I may have wandered slightly off topic. Sorry me.

Completely wrong, in your opinion maybe.  Depends on how many people they kill was my point.  Yes it makes the news when it's a school full of people, or a shopping mall, but it's rare to read over here about anything else.  Or are you telling me that everyone of these mass shootings made the news:

http://shootingtracker.com/wiki/Mass_Shootings_in_2014

Literally hundreds of mass shootings, and yet probably a handful were reported in any meaningful way over this side of the pond.

...Completely wrong, in your opinion maybe...

It was meant humourously and satirically! I was kind of agreeing - I thought you'd remember Ferguson (no, not him, the riots) - weeks of protests and troubles because the bizzies kept shooting dead various unarmed Black kids and the legal system there just went "yeah whatever".

I forgot they don't have the 21st Century yet on the IoM. I hear the update is due in about 15 years.

• Like 2

Breaking on TV that a free speech meeting in Copenhagen cafe has been shot up by persons unknown, 3 cops wounded, at least one civilian killed.

It was being attended by the French Ambassador and a cartoonist who has previously drawn pictures of Mohammed. Gunmen currently on the lamb.

Well it seems a parking dispute is the reason for the killings of the 3 Muslim students. Could well not be race related at all.

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/chapel-hill-victims-sister-insulting-and-outrageous-to-call-shooting-parking-dispute/

Chapel Hill Victim’s Sister: ‘Insulting and Outrageous’ to Call Shooting ‘Parking Dispute’ by Evan McMurry | 9:06 am, February 13th, 2015 VIDEO 1030

Screen-Shot-2015-02-13-at-8.59.03-AM.pngDr. Suzanne Barakat, sister of one of the Chapel Hill shooting victims, appeared on Morning Joe Friday morning to strongly dispute the early police theory that her brother, his wife, and sister-in-law were shot by Craig Stephens Hicks over a “parking dispute.” That all three victims were Muslim, and that Hicks had loudly proclaimed anti-religious sentiment, has led many to label the triple murder a hate crime.

“I think it’s absolutely insulting, insensitive and outrageous that the first thing they come out and say and issue a statement that this is a parking dispute,” Barakat said. “I’m not sure who they spoke to, because it took me all of five minutes of talking to his former roommate — who they had not reached out to — to give me details, information, text messages, and to give me context.”

Barakat disputed that any of the three had even parked in the disputed spot, arguing, “To call it a parking dispute…is to trivialize their murders.”

“I have been here since the morning after this shooting,” Barakat added, “and police have still not reached out to my family.”

Host Joe Scarborough agreed. “Chapel Hill police need to back off and take a look at the wider causes of this,” he said.

Watch the clip below, via MSNBC:

Plenty of back story in to what happened if you do enough research.  Seems like he had shown anger towards them previously and the parking dispute had been settled 3 months previously.

Also, back to my original point on how the media deal with the incident

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HScvljFVCgQ

Yesterday's Guardian had just over half a page article saying that the killer had a section on his facebook that was specifically anti all religion and that his favourite film which he watched repeatedly was Falling Down.

They were suggesting it clearly was a hate crime from somebody that self declared hated religion.

Guardian yesterday:

Hicks’s Facebook page is filled with quotations attacking religion – all organised religion, not just Islam.

But I have to say, in the grand scale of things, that story is unfortunately minor in comparison with recent Boko Haram massacres. In terms of relevance to the UK, it's minor in comparison with somebody spraying bullets into a cafe holding a discussion on freedom of expression.

Edited by chrisp65

Not sure about this. It may be some sort of demonstration against Assad.

The number of children inside an iron cage; and a bonfire waiting for it to burn the children inside the cage." In this way activists in Douma decided to direct their message is perhaps the world treats thousands of trapped civilians who die every day as burning deal with the Jordanian pilot forbid Kasasbeh which burnt organization (the state).

Clicky

Not sure about this. It may be some sort of demonstration against Assad.

The number of children inside an iron cage; and a bonfire waiting for it to burn the children inside the cage." In this way activists in Douma decided to direct their message is perhaps the world treats thousands of trapped civilians who die every day as burning deal with the Jordanian pilot forbid Kasasbeh which burnt organization (the state).

Clicky

Let's hope so.

Breaking on TV that a free speech meeting in Copenhagen cafe has been shot up by persons unknown, 3 cops wounded, at least one civilian killed.

It was being attended by the French Ambassador and a cartoonist who has previously drawn pictures of Mohammed. Gunmen currently on the lamb.

Sadly he didn't stop there, ofcourse he had to attack a synagouge aswell and kill 1 more, utter scum.

Sadly he didn't stop there, ofcourse he had to attack a synagouge aswell and kill 1 more, utter scum.

The killer was known to danish police with a record of weapon possesion and violence.

They also described him as close to one of the gangs operating in Copenhagen.

Released 2 weeks ago according to danish media.

ISIS are seemingly trying to infuriate as many people as possible. Infuriating Jordan to get a response out of them and then chopping off 20 people's heads in Libya...I guess it was cementing the alliance they have with the groups that took Benghazi. Everyone should just agree that there is only one common enemy here and wipe them out.

Easier said than done of course.

Â