Nathan Baker

AVFC-Prideofbrum

My biggest gripe with Baker was his rash tackles. He went to ground often and in bad areas, leading to freekicks/penalties/cards. 

Apart from one desperate sliding block in the first half against Liverpool (it was needed, btw) I never saw him off his feet. That's more like it. :thumb:

• Like 1

Just wanted to be the first to suggest he should be called up for England.

As silly as it sounds, if he can improve then with the lack of any decent English centre backs currently, it could be possible.

I don't think it will happen, mainly due to him not playing enough games let alone if he is good enough, but it's not impossible.

Who knows he may improve and benefit from not being in a team struggling and always under pressure and under pressure from its own fans.  He may also benefit from being in a team with better players

Who knows he may improve and benefit from not being in a team struggling and always under pressure and under pressure from its own fans.  He may also benefit from being in a team with better players

He mentioned it himself, he says he knows he has to fight for his place. Competition makes you give that extra incentive to work harder, concentrate.

Gotta love villa fans

From Sunday league to England in the space of 90 minutes.

And o'Leary had the cheek to call us fickle

Every time I hear that mans name and reference to that word which was just one of an endless list of his excuses a little piece of me dies. ;)

I don't rate him really but it's easy to forget he was pretty good for large parts of Lambert's first season. If Senderos is such a vocal organiser that'll hopefully help him. I feel like Arsenal will be a big test though, Sanchez and Welbeck are good, quick players with excellent movement - which Baker has often struggled against.

I wonder is there another player in or around the age of Baker to have played 70 odd Premier League games at centre back at his age. The only one I can flag up immediately is Phil Jones, but he's played everywhere for United and I'd wager the bulk of those appearances have been at right back.

I wonder is there another player in or around the age of Baker to have played 70 odd Premier League games at centre back at his age. The only one I can flag up immediately is Phil Jones, but he's played everywhere for United and I'd wager the bulk of those appearances have been at right back.

"in the age of Baker"?!

Come on, Townsend. You're better than this.

Have not been impressed with him, heart like a lion, but rash and lacking skill, and my heart sank when I saw he was on in stead of Vlaar, but he was fantastic.

It would be great if he can keep this up, he would become a viable option. Time will tell.

Trouble is, that's his forte- heading away crosses, making last ditch challenges etc.

You set the team up to play football, and Baker concedes possession too regularly, then gets caught for pace etc. (ditto Clark) Vlaar has far better distribution (as apparently does Okore).

Baker is a capable player, though perhaps his overall game is not consistently good enough for this level. It also helps that the centre halves have an improving midfield ahead of them, as well as defensively capable full backs for a change. Let's not forget they've had the likes of Lowton/Bacuna/Luna/Bennett beside them recently. That can't inspire confidence.

Gotta love villa fans

From Sunday league to England in the space of 90 minutes.

And o'Leary had the cheek to call us fickle

Every time I hear that mans name and reference to that word which was just one of an endless list of his excuses a little piece of me dies. ;)

But we're an honest bunch of lads.

Â