SIGNED: Charles N'Zogbia (Wigan)

billy_loes

Whelan is being a bit of a publicity whore by dealing with this in the press, but NZogbia's stock has risen over the past 12 months, so if he wants to ask for an extra million than that's his perogative.

Irregardless of what has gone on in the past, NZogbia is definitely worth £10m, and if we lose out to him because we're squabbling over £1m, then that'll be another straw over the camel's back.

Bearing in mind that Newcastle have just lost Ben Arfa to injury, Villa could do worse than to pull their finger our of their arse and get this one sorted!

A newspaper would have a set cover price. This is more like selling a house I'd wager. And if the seller suddenly ups the price because he heard from his first cousin twice removed that you had won on a scratchcard last week, you'd be pretty annoyed I'd wager.

Its like a newsagent saying, that paper is normally £1 but its £1:50 to you because you won on a scratchcard last week.

But sadly the purveyor of said newsagents knows that his newspapers may be better than the newspapers in other outlets, and also knows you just sold your best newspaper before entering his shop :winkold:

I think a fairer example is: a football club owner sees a rival club sell two players for nearly £40m, they own a player who they believe to be as good as either of those players so reconsiders his valuation of his player.

It's not particularly greedy or unfair of WAFC in my opinion, just exactly waht we did to Liverpool (how many times did I read 'if they paid £20m for Henderson then Downing must be worth £40M!!") Just pay the sodding £10m, IMO he'd be a steal at the price.

Purchasing him is not without considerable risk to the Villa, he aint problem free, infact its Ireland mk ii in the making (imo), the guys highly strong and has been willing to go on strike in the past.......

We should stick to our guns on this one...its £9m. Just for the bad press Mr Whelan has brought on our great club....lets leave it till Monday and then AMec to say "Its now £8.5m...take it or leave it".

Whelan plays the press, he deserves a slap......AM please move on and let the NZog weave his magic.........

Why not simply meet in the middle? An extra 500k wont make a bit of a difference to a premiership football club!

By doing the deal now and not on the last day of the window Wigan will save 6 weeks wages (£250-£300k?)

Exactly, they seem to be squabbling over peanuts!

As N'Zogbia hasn't put a transfer request in, wouldn't he be in line to recieve the rest of his contract with Wigan paid up, ie 1 years pay?

I can see both sides.

Villa point of view - 10m was accepted from Blues, he now has less on contract , thus 9m is probably about right

Surely, Villa can say to Wigan, sell now - 6 weeks wages saved - probable 200k.

Wigans point of view

He has proved to be a better player than this time last year - price has gone up - fair point, I don't think we'd have got 20mil for Downing this time last year

You've just sold Downing for 20m - NZog is a bargain at 10m and you know it.

Hang on Mr Villa - didn't you tell Liverpool 2 yrs ago - thats the price, pay up or shut up ! - whats the difference.

And he has a point on all of them.

My view

Could be a great signing , will be very happy with it - but I do worry we have another Curcic / Ireland on our hands. It does call into question the vision for the club - GK has always said management , players and staff have to buy into the "club ethos" - buying a guy who went on strike at his last club, and is threatening at this one - doesn't sound much of a club man.

But buy him I say , and worry about that if it happens

I think Whelans thinking behind this - and bear in mind that its a senile old bedwetting persons thinking - is that he sees N'Zogbia and Downing as equal in terms of ability. Downing had 2 years remaining on contract and went for 20m. N'Zog has 1 year remaining and wants 10m for him. Sort of adds up when you look at it like that. Still doesnt make it right though. Hes gone about this whole thing in the wrong manner. He now looks like a penny pinching old fool who has threw his toys out of the pram because we done an exceptional piece of business with Downing. Hes just trying to save face with his own fans.

Why not simply meet in the middle? An extra 500k wont make a bit of a difference to a premiership football club!

By doing the deal now and not on the last day of the window Wigan will save 6 weeks wages (£250-£300k?)

Exactly, they seem to be squabbling over peanuts!

As N'Zogbia hasn't put a transfer request in, wouldn't he be in line to recieve the rest of his contract with Wigan paid up, ie 1 years pay?

No, he'd just be due the loyalty bonus and signing on fee (5% of transfer fee), though if he did go on strike I would imagine Wigan would have rather a good case to say he wasn't due at least the loyalty bonus.