SIGNED: Charles N'Zogbia (Wigan)

billy_loes

Those quotes from Whelan are ridiculous. I understand he's trying to get a better deal.. but he's just spouting and spouting and making himself look silly, imo.

Telling the world that Sunderland and Newcastle HAVEN'T made offers. We have, but they didn't like it. We haven't come back with an improved offer YET (we might, still) and he's making out like we've committed a crime.

If we had more options, I'd love us to wait until next year and try to get him on a free (I know other clubs could be interested, but we're still a good option for him).

As a few others have said. Just whack £500k on top and see if Whelan accepts that.

obligatory 'he'll go to bigger clubs than us' remark.

(in regards to Zarate)

Im sure after spending a year traveling through small heath, the slightest mention of Birmingham would be enough give the boy nightmares.

For that reason only, ill offer up the obligatory "he will go to a cleaner city " remark. :D

Those quotes from Whelan are ridiculous. I understand he's trying to get a better deal.. but he's just spouting and spouting and making himself look silly, imo.

Telling the world that Sunderland and Newcastle HAVEN'T made offers. We have, but they didn't like it. We haven't come back with an improved offer YET (we might, still) and he's making out like we've committed a crime.

If we had more options, I'd love us to wait until next year and try to get him on a free (I know other clubs could be interested, but we're still a good option for him).

As a few others have said. Just whack £500k on top and see if Whelan accepts that.

I'm of the thinking that the fact Dave Whelan is acting like a gobshite, and giving interviews out to anyone who'll listen, that we should walk away now. Call his bluff, and move on to the next target.

The remarks by Whelan are fair enough. N'Zogbia is their player and he has put a price on him which they will accept. We are trying to get him on the cheap while we stood steadfast over the Downing fee.

I'm of the thinking that the fact Dave Whelan is acting like a gobshite, and giving interviews out to anyone who'll listen, that we should walk away now. Call his bluff, and move on to the next target.

I'm of the same mindset but I just think taking the moral highground on this occasion isn't as important as getting a player who would be perfect at filling the void left by Young.

Maybe we can just agree to the fee then after signing him release a statement saying that Whelan is a rocket polisher.

I dont like Dave Whelan

The remarks by Whelan are fair enough. N'Zogbia is their player and he has put a price on him which they will accept. We are trying to get him on the cheap while we stood steadfast over the Downing fee.
They're not really fair enough to N'Zogbia though. He was told "we'll sell for £9m". They accepted £9m in January. We bid £9m and they reject it. Not only does this go back on what they told N'Zogbia but it's more money for a player with 6 months less on his contract now than he had in January, even accounting for his performances over the latter half of the season. So while it is Whelan's prerogative to do whatever the hell he likes, it doesn't change that he's being an utter arsehole about it all.

I'd agree, if he kept these thoughts to himself, or even if he gave an interview after the event. However I'm sick of his rent-a-quote approach to the matter. If he's been so full of praise in the past of how Villa do business (Which includes telling the media nothing about the deal), then why is he so quick to discuss this deal in the press?

They're not really fair enough to N'Zogbia though. He was told "we'll sell for £9m". They accepted £9m in January. We bid £9m and they reject it. Not only does this go back on what they told N'Zogbia but it's more money for a player with 6 months less on his contract now than he had in January, even accounting for his performances over the latter half of the season. So while it is Whelan's prerogative to do whatever the hell he likes, it doesn't change that he's being an utter arsehole about it all.

I disagree Brian. I think he is perfectly with in his rights to do what he likes with his player. The fact he was worth 9 mill 6 months ago is neither here nor there. Whelan has seen what players have gone for during this window, including two players from Aston Villa, and come to the conclusion 9 mill isn't enough.

Perhaps we should have gone in for him before selling the two wingers we had, which by doing so at the time we did, set a bench mark for wingers in this window especially when you consider one of them also only had a year left on his contract.

I think he is perfectly with in his rights to do what he likes with his player.

So while it is Whelan's prerogative to do whatever the hell he likes

So you actually agree then. We just differ on whether he's an arsehole.

Calling someone an 'utter arsehole' for doing exactly what we did over the sales of Barry and Downing is just being hypocritical in my book.

Don't know if this has been posted yet but, Charles just said this on his twitter.

I'm not on strike !! I'm training normally, u don't have to read what the Newspapers saying... Its not true !!

From the man himself! Not on strike.

Let him stew, he is constantly spouting off to the media trying to create a bidding war despite no teams being willing to consider forking out the £10m+ he wants.

Give it another week or so and then when no offers for £10m come in go back in with a final offer of £9m and 5% future sell on fee and tell him that we won't be making any more offers this summer and that if he wants to hold out for £10m good luck to him and we will be back in, in january, with a sub £4m offer.

I always disliked his complete and utter deference to anything Man Utd-related. He verbally-rims Fergie and that club whenever he can. Having said all that, I do think we should pay the £10m simply because Zog is worth the money, we need the player and if Jagielka is about to go to Arsenal then Everton will have a few quid to play with and I can hazard a guess who they'll go in for.

Don't know if this has been posted yet but, Charles just said this on his twitter.

I'm not on strike !! I'm training normally, u don't have to read what the Newspapers saying... Its not true !!

From the man himself! Not on strike.

...however he is French so he probably will be shortly :P

Calling someone an 'utter arsehole' for doing exactly what we did over the sales of Barry and Downing is just being hypocritical in my book.

It would be, but then I'm not. We didn't change the asking price of those players. We set one and stuck to it. Whelan has changed N'Zogbia's from £9m in January including a verbal agreement that he could go for that price to the £10m he wants now. There is a difference and there is no hypocricy. He's entitled to do it, but he's still an arsehole for doing it.

Whelans always been an arsehole. He's one of the main reasons to dislike Wigan. I was surprised more people didn't already dislike him.

Just wondering why people keep referring to Whelan as being an 'arsehole?'

Most of his managers always seem to get on with him. He has given a lot of money to Wigan Football Club and he has continually kept them in the Premiership against the odds.