SIGNED: Charles N'Zogbia (Wigan)

billy_loes

I think Whelans thinking behind this - and bear in mind that its a senile old bedwetting persons thinking - is that he sees N'Zogbia and Downing as equal in terms of ability. Downing had 2 years remaining on contract and went for 20m. N'Zog has 1 year remaining and wants 10m for him. Sort of adds up when you look at it like that. Still doesnt make it right though. Hes gone about this whole thing in the wrong manner. He now looks like a penny pinching old fool who has threw his toys out of the pram because we done an exceptional piece of business with Downing. Hes just trying to save face with his own fans.

If you were a Wigan fan you'd be cheering him.

If he gets the extra million out of us then he has done well.

If he relents and agrees to 9m then he hasn't lost anything and the fee will be undisclosed to save face.

If we pull out and no one buys the player then he will have screwed up but he is perfectly within his rights to try and take advantage of our desperation.

It's our fault for getting ourselves in this position in the first place.

True. We should have signed N'Zogbia when we sold Young. Or better still, before we sold Young.

Another lesson our board has learnt the hard way.

At this rate of learning we will have a near perfect transfer strategy...

...in 2065

I think Whelans thinking behind this - and bear in mind that its a senile old bedwetting persons thinking - is that he sees N'Zogbia and Downing as equal in terms of ability. Downing had 2 years remaining on contract and went for 20m. N'Zog has 1 year remaining and wants 10m for him. Sort of adds up when you look at it like that. Still doesnt make it right though. Hes gone about this whole thing in the wrong manner. He now looks like a penny pinching old fool who has threw his toys out of the pram because we done an exceptional piece of business with Downing. Hes just trying to save face with his own fans.

If you were a Wigan fan you'd be cheering him.

If he gets the extra million out of us then he has done well.

If he relents and agrees to 9m then he hasn't lost anything and the fee will be undisclosed to save face.

If we pull out and no one buys the player then he will have screwed up but he is perfectly within his rights to try and take advantage of our desperation.

Agree with this. We've handled this badly and any blame would be at our door if it went tits up.

Still think its on mind.

A lot of tabloids running with the story that N'Zogbia will go on strike to force a move.

Usually think is shows poor character when a player does this but I can sort of sympathise with Zog. He agreed to stay at Wigan last season for 'one last season' and was told if a bid of £9m came in them be could open talks (allegedly). Only for his club to go back on their word.

Think Wigan (or Whelan) are playing silly buggers here.

i'd rather we moved on to other targets tbh

Thats just cutting your nose off to spite your face though. 10m is still a good price for him.

Randy, if youre reading this, stop taking the moral high ground here...its not like youve not played this trick before yourself. Just cough up the extra million and get it done. We need this player.

There isn't much new in this Daily Mail article except the mention of £12m as the new asking price!

Wantaway N'Zogbia threatens strike action in order to seal £9m Villa switch

By Sportsmail Reporter

Last updated at 12:01 PM on 21st July 2011

Wigan winger Charles N'Zogbia is prepared to go on strike in an attempt to force through a move to Aston Villa.

N'Zogbia is understood to be frustrated at a decision by the Lancashire club to turn down a £9million offer for his services from Villa.

The France international claims the club had agreed to sell him if a £9m asking price was match, and he is now furious that Wigan have moved the goalposts.

N'Zogbia is understood to be considering refusing to train with the club in order to force a move, something he pondered doing last summer before agreeing to stay.

Despite orginally telling the player that £9m would be an acceptable fee for his services, Wigan now want at least £12m given that Villa's coffers have been boosted by the sales of Ashley Young and Stewart Downing.

Wigan boss Roberto Martinez insisted that N'Zogbia, who played a huge role in keeping the club up last season, would only be sold at the right price.

'There hasn’t been any change to Charles’ situation; over the last two years he has been a top performer for our club and of course there is interest there for him,' said Martinez, who turned down the Villa job before it was offered to McLeish.

'However, in football you have to match the valuation of these players and only when that agreement is made can the player then make the decision on his personal future.'

Aston Villa manager Alex McLeish, who targeted N'Zogbia while at Birmingham, has responded to the rejected bid with a threat to look elsewhere for Downing’s replacement.

That could boost Sunderland's attempts to sign the former Newcastle man.

Manager Steve Bruce made N’Zogbia his top target for this window, but is restricted by wage budget constrictions.

If Whelan has upped the fee to £12m we should just tell him to sod off and leave Zoggy to do the business from within the club.

If Whelan has upped the fee to £12m we should just tell him to sod off and leave Zoggy to do the business from within the club.

and then we'll all get on nzogbia's back in a few years when he does the same to us, conveniently forgetting that that's the only reason he was our player to begin with

£10m YES. £12m is taking the piss even though he is worth more than that.

My concern is that we miss out N'Zogbia and our one quality signing this summer is someone like Etherington. I can envisage us doing ok with N'Zogbia linking up with a combination of Albrighton, Bent or Agbonlahor next season. Not really Etherington or McGeady or SWP though.

We have to sign this player.

Why not simply meet in the middle? An extra 500k wont make a bit of a difference to a premiership football club!

By doing the deal now and not on the last day of the window Wigan will save 6 weeks wages (£250-£300k?)

Exactly, they seem to be squabbling over peanuts!

As N'Zogbia hasn't put a transfer request in, wouldn't he be in line to recieve the rest of his contract with Wigan paid up, ie 1 years pay?

No, he'd just be due the loyalty bonus and signing on fee (5% of transfer fee), though if he did go on strike I would imagine Wigan would have rather a good case to say he wasn't due at least the loyalty bonus.

Ah right, thank you for clearing that up. That sounds more reasonable.

Can people please make up their mind what they want here !

So 12m - we should walk away - but, I thought you wanted the club to show we wasn't penny pinching and we should go out and buy quality ! - I'm starting to get confused :?

I am not saying go straight in at 12m - Wigan said 10 - then try and get it done at 10. , but.......

Is Nzogbia worth 12m quid ?. Now bearing in mind that is what we valued Gareth Barry, a player in his last year of his contract at. Then a quality player in his last year - seems reasonable.

If you believe NZogbia is a quality player who will make us a better team - then I will be disappointed if we won't pay 12m for him.

Can you remember the Everton / Man U / Rooney deal. Man U wanted Rooney, told Everton "name your price" , Everton said 27 million for a 17 yr old - which was absolutely ridiculous money, remember it was only 6 months before, Luke Moore was seen as the better prospect !.

Did Man U say "sorry, you are taking the pee out of us - goodbye" - no, they saw the bigger picture, saw what Rooney was going to bring then and the future - and totally against the odds said "deal done !".

Now I am not saying be stupid with money , but.....

If Alec McLeish has identified NZogbia as being the player to take Villa forward - then get him. Seriously, would you rather pay 12m for NZogbia, or walk away and buy McGeedy for 10m - just coz DW had mucked us around.

And if you say you would - back off Lerner, because you are therefore hypocritical !.

Can you remember the Everton / Man U / Rooney deal. Man U wanted Rooney, told Everton "name your price" , Everton said 27 million for a 17 yr old - which was absolutely ridiculous money, remember it was only 6 months before, Luke Moore was seen as the better prospect !.

Did Man U say "sorry, you are taking the pee out of us - goodbye" - no, they saw the bigger picture, saw what Rooney was going to bring then and the future - and totally against the odds said "deal done !".

united had no choice, everton had agreed a fee with newcastle

Can people please make up their mind what they want here !

I did. I said "walk away" pages ago when Whelan started playing silly buggers, I'm still saying it now in respect of the alleged "£12m" (which is just that; alleged) just with more feeling.

It seems that Whelan does not feel duty bound to act in the same way as we did when approaching his manager. He also seems to think all of the cash we took in from the sales of our 2 wide boys to Manchester United & Liverpool will be made available to our manager to replace them. We need this deal to happen and we have a quality player who wants to join us. If we have not yet offered £10m then we should and if that is not enough we may need to play hard ball and say to Whelan if you don't sell us your player (at the best offer you have been made for him) we will go and buy the player you are looking to replace him with (SWP) at £4m. But the longer we push this the more likely it is that someone else (such as Everton) will find the money for Zog (from an outgoing transfer they might agree) and make him their player.