SIGNED: Charles N'Zogbia (Wigan)

billy_loes

ASTON VILLA: HOULLIER PLANS £7M N'ZOGBIA SWOOP

ABOVE: Aston Villa plan to swoop in a deal for Wigan's Charles N'Zogbia Aston Villa are plotting a £7m move for Charles N’Zogbia

4th December 2010 By Sami MokbelYour Shout ( 0 )

ASTON VILLA are plotting a £7m move for Charles N’Zogbia.

The winger is desperate to quit Wigan and Gerard Houllier is willing to give his fellow Frenchman an escape route.

N’Zogbia saw a summer move to Birmingham fall through over his £50,000-a-week pay demands.

Despite featuring in 17 of Wigan’s games this season, he is still determined to leave Roberto Martinez’s side in January for a bigger club.

And Houllier wants to get one over on Birmingham by succeeding where Alex McLeish failed, but N’Zogbia is likely to have to lower his pay demands first.

Martinez accepts he faces a fight to hold on to N’Zogbia once the transfer window reopens.

Liverpool and Marseille have also been linked with the 24-year-old.

Villa are also in the market for Robbie Keane after he was given clearance to leave Spurs.

Boss Harry Redknapp said: “I think he would like to move. He wants to play. He is not used to not playing.

“He could sit here and take his wages but that’s not him. He trains hard and has shown a great attitude.”

Its the Mirr.....no the Star

If we buy him then either we'll be selling Ash or policy re wages has changed

I think the wages thing is out of the window at the moment. We need better players all over the pitch, Houllier has not come back just to make up the numbers, and Randy will be righting off quite a few quid if thats the case, and will lose a lot more if this rot continues :winkold:

Then Ashley will go, proberly followed by a few others.

So i thing the wage cap is in the bin. If not, then we are in trouble, and Randy has to much to lose :?

I think we will get N'zogbia in to replace Ashley.

Sad, but true.

I think that's a pretty sensible conclusion. AY does not want to be 'distracted' by contract negotiations. For that read I'm hedging my bets and if I move in the summer with 12 months on my contract I can probably negotiate a sweeter deal for me. I think he will be gone by this summer.

N'Zogbia is a decent shout at the quoted £8m. Allegedly he wants £50k p/w which the Unwashed baulked at. That's less than AY gets now and he's a good out and out winger.

Given AY's preference to play in the middle which does not entirely convince me if he went it opens up options in the middle. In theory, and I stress theory, that is Ireland's role. Alternatively we shift Ireland on and get a different face in.

Oh and N'Zogbia is French which probably helps.

Given AY's preference to play in the middle which does not entirely convince me if he went it opens up options in the middle. In theory, and I stress theory, that is Ireland's role. Alternatively we shift Ireland on and get a different face in.

See I think there's some mass assuming going on here, this idea that AY prefers the role in the centre, even though there's no actual evidence for it. That in itself could be a managerial decision, I'm not sure AY has said anything to confirm his preference nor has anyone else. iirc he started playing it when we were again trying to shoehorn three wide players into midfield and much as we did with Milner last season, the fittest and most capable moved inside, When we've only had two wide options Ash has been moved back.

The other thing that people also seemed to have assumed is that Ireland is a central midfielder, again (and I may be wrong) iirc he had most of his best games at Citeh whilst playing a more freer but wider role than just playing centrally, he was always a bit of an oddity tactics wise but his successes came from him cutting in out wide not through the middle

See I think there's some mass assuming going on here, this idea that AY prefers the role in the centre, even though there's no actual evidence for it.

You even commented on the heat maps from the Blackburn game...Ashley was meant to play on the left wing, but the heat showed he didn't play that much touching the left wing, he drifted more to the centre.

I doubt he was asked to play like that.

Scroll down to the heat maps