SIGNED: Charles N'Zogbia (Wigan)

billy_loes

Our so-called principles mean nothing in football. We may have approached Wigan for Martinez in such a commendable way, but what does it mean? **** all - as can be seen from Whelan's attitude to us now.

Can people please make up their mind what they want here !

I did. I said "walk away" pages ago when Whelan started playing silly buggers, I'm still saying it now in respect of the alleged "£12m" (which is just that; alleged) just with more feeling.

Fine - that is your perogative.

But I therefore will point out everytime (if you do of course) you have a go at the board for not being prepared to spend money !. :D

Sorry, Villa have themselves to blame on this, well I say Villa, as the person who overees this, Faulkner. Lets look at it logically.

Liverpool are told Gareth Barry , a player with 2yrs on his contract, will be 18m - pay up or shut up - they shut up.

One year later - Barry now has 12m on his contract so Villa say price is now 12m, Man City pay it

roll on to 2011.

We sell Downing - a player who has two years on his contract for 20m

We then want NZogbia, a player that I think 95% of fans on here think is better than Stewart Downing and would welcome the player (and I have heard people say "it would be a brilliant bit of business) so he now has 12m on his contract - so surely by villa's own history of this type of transfer - NZogbia should be worth about 12-14m ?

Faulkner has brought this on himself - DW has us over a barrel , the deal should have been done before Downing was sold - it wasn't so he now has to (literally) pay the consequences.

But, as I said, the player is worth it - I'll be fuming if we walk away and buy a lesser player.

We dossed around over 500k for Robbie Keane once, 12m later he was sold for over double the price he was bought for - if it happens again, I'll be livid.

Pay what Wigan want (obviously within reason) and move on.

We then want NZogbia, a player that I think 95% of fans on here think is better than Stewart Downing

You might want to qualify that. I don't think he is better than Downing, and he has half the contract term remaining that Downing had.

You don't buy players, you buy out contracts.

Fine - that is your perogative.

Well, it's actually my prerogative but hey-ho. :)

But I therefore will point out everytime (if you do of course) you have a go at the board for not being prepared to spend money !. :D

It's about value though. If we were bidding for a player that I personally rated and we were offering a pittance when a fair sum would do, that would stoke my ire. However, if £9m was enough to buy N'Zogbia mere months ago (and if it was indeed a figure that the player had been promised was one that would be accepted in the event of further interest) then we should not be press-ganged into paying more now, when said player is even closer to the end of his contract.

I have no problem with the board either a) holding out until Wigan cave or B) walking away. If I were to criticise the board at all over the affair, I would remark on the naiveté of selling all our left-sided wingers before we'd secured a replacement. Our bargaining posture was needlessly weakened as a result.

We then want NZogbia, a player that I think 95% of fans on here think is better than Stewart Downing

You might want to qualify that. I don't think he is better than Downing, and he has half the contract term remaining that Downing had.

You don't buy players, you buy out contracts.

Urrrgh I hate it when I have to point out the bleeding obvious !

Gareth Barry - two years - 18m , one year 12m

Downing / Zogbia - two years 20m - one year ???????

But going on how we conducted the Barry deal, if we believe player for player NZogbia is a match for Downing , I believe he is, and I think the majority of people of here do, considering the 149 pages I've read. - the fee should be roughly 12-13m

And DW is only right to point that out !

Got it ?

(totally off topic, but when did footballers names become two or three letters ? - I can never remember saying PMc or PW or GC or DP - but without knowing it RL, MON, AMc, DW , GB happened ! - is this text speak taking over or something :D )

I dont think N'Zogbia wants to come to Villa Park and if I'm totally honest for £10 -£12m I dont think he is worth it???

Surely there is a better more promising younger winger out their for better value. I dont recall N'Zogbia being all that good at Newcastle.

Anything over £12m is pushing it though.

I really can't see Whelan asking for more than the £10m he has stated. He seems to like doing all his business using the press so now he has publicly named his price he's got to stick to that or risk looking a liar.

You live by the sword you die by the sword.

arsenal have made a £10m bid for jagielka at everton. cant see that being accepted, but theres a fair chance they'll be back with a bigger bid and will be lining everton's pockets with the money for nzogbia quite soon

time to get a wriggle on

Instead of paying £10m-£12m why dont we just loan 2-3 players instead?

I dont think N'Zogbia is worth any more than £7m-£8m personally

So, nothing has really happened yet?
No, not really.

But come back in a couple of hours and Whelan will probably be up to £14m.

:lol:

But seriously, I always wonder where the final line goes, sts. I mean, if he's upped the price from £9m to £10m many on here says "just put in that extra million and be done with it", which is fair, I suppose. But where goes the line when it's not acceptable anymore? If we offers 10 and he says 11, how far should we go? I guess would say now that if he shifts the goal post again we should just walk away (Ah, Dokken again). But then Everton comes in, offers the £11m and many on here will say that we f**ked that up and should've offered those £11m. So which is the crucial figure?

If Everton manage to sell Phil Jagielka for at least 15m, I can see Moyes bidding this player for 10m and he'll be at Everton.

Jagielka - arsenal ?

Dont get me wrong, I'd like him at the Villa, but he is nowhere near a player that is Champions League material - and even if he was, Arsenal need a different type of defender - they need a version of Vidic or Terry , Jagielka isn't that.

Bizarre if true (unless they plan to revamp their entire defence)