Fabian Delph

davidplatt7

Aston Villa midfielder Fabian Delph has revealed Paul Lambert’s pep talk inspired their Capital One Cup win over Manchester City.

Villa claimed one of the shocks of the third round with a 4-2 extra-time victory over the Premier League champions at the Etihad Stadium. Delph admits Villa were keen to make up for last weekend’s defeat at Southampton by putting in an improved performance against City:

“The manager gave a nice speech before the game and as far as we were concerned we weren’t there to give them respect. We were there to get the win and if it ended up with us having to fight with them and play a few tricks and to twist up the game a bit, we were willing to do that. We wanted the win and we were confident we could win the game. We are a young group of players, we have all got fire in our bellies. We are hungry to do well for the club, for the chairman, for the fans and for the gaffer, especially after the defeat to Southampton. It was important to bounce back.”

Delph was pleased with how his own fitness held up after coming through 120 minutes of football unscathed after a series of injuries. He continued:

“I can’t remember the last time I played 90 minutes myself, so it was a massive step for me.”

http://tinyurl.com/dx34eq9

Can be a good player for us, think he's getting back to his best.

He was superb on Tuesday, full of running and constant thorn in their side. Hopefully he stays fit because he could be a fantastic player and a great asset to the squad!

with him having of played in already quite a few positions, which is going to be his best? attacking centre mid?

Box to box midfielder in my opinon.

Definitely, he has the engine to keep going throughout a game and is well schooled at defensive and attacking work.

I really hope it works for him here, I like the kid.

I think a lot of people will be reluctantly changing their opinion of this lad soon if he can keep his fitness up. I promise I won't say 'I told you so' over and over :P

Have to say the thing I was surprised at the most this past week, was his passing. IMO, his passing in the past has been abysmal and if he can fix that part of his game, he has taken a major step up. We all have seen at points he can break up play excellently, as long as he is not lunging in and picking up stupid cards. Hopefully, he takes his chances now and his fitness is maintained.

Well, tbf, while Tuesday was his best game of the season, I think that he has been quite good in all the matches he has played so far (WHU, Tranmere, City...iirc). I remember at the West Ham match saying that I thought he was one of the best we had out there that day and it looked like he was progressing on what we had seen of him in the past. I do think he can be a player of a similar ilk to KEA, albeit with a bit less flair and ball skills.

I felt that Bannan was lucky to keep his place at Newcastle, after the part he played in the Everton defeat, i think it was probably more to do with Delph getting injured between Tranmere and Newcastle which allowed him to keep his spot.

For all the merits of each player, i've always felt Delph was more equipped to have a top flight career than Bannan.

When we signed Delph I was told by Leeds fans we had signed a really gem. The first glimpse of him was against Fiorentina ( I think) in a pre season and he looked the business. Since then the poor lad has been plagued by injured and never really looked like he'd be that same player again. Would love to see him match his potential.

Delph has been a hugh waste of money so far. He can't tackle, can't control the ball, passes backwards or sidewards at best and can't shoot. He has time on his side but needs several good performances like Tuesday to prove he has what it takes.

Delph has been a hugh waste of money so far. He can't tackle, can't control the ball, passes backwards or sidewards at best and can't shoot. He has time on his side but needs several good performances like Tuesday to prove he has what it takes.

A tad harsh?

Â