Fabian Delph

davidplatt7

Nope! To me it's not the fact he got booked, it's the inconsistencies, the Jacob bloke made a similar tackle from behind, he gets spoken too. Macauley tries to hack down Gabby in full flight, no booking. This is what irritates me about refs.

Yeah agreed, the inconsistencies of the refs is really annoying.

• Like 1

I don't think there was anything wrong with his tackle. Wasn't even a foul IMO.

But this was on the ground, one footed, controlled and he couldn't have got more of the ball.

Studs were showing, but there was no way it was excessive force. He was unlucky to get booked.

I agree it was never a foul.

If someone has decided that "in this day and age" that is a foul, then the authorities need to go and change what is acceptable back 10 years.

I also don't understand the argument "studs showing". Please explain to me how it is even physically possible to slide tackle without studs 'showing'. It's not possible to slide with your foot facing flat down on the ground as your leg is on it's side.

Was impressed, especially when he turned and lost his marker in the second half with a driving run. Seems to read the game well too. Get him fully sharp and he'll be a great asset. Bannan looked good too - the benefits of competition for places I guess!

He did fine yesterday not outstanding but not poor either. Did some good things and some bad things. No idea why some people are saying he was great and KEA was poor - they had virtually identical games. Generally tidy, a few nice passes and a few times when they got caught out poorly.

I think a confident and experienced Delph could still be a real asset to us.

Just wish he would take it on a bit more and boss games - I actually think he has a lot of self belief but then this gets dented when he his a bit slow in possession and gets caught out. With experience that should happen less - I think he is the better bet for a CM over Bannan - I'm basing that on his physical attributes more than anything. He just looks more like a PL CM especially in a 4-4-2

Delph dallies on the ball and was caught a number of times, only played a few decent balls.

The creativity of the tem shot up when Bannan came on and suddenly we were breaking through their back line, delph gets the ball and rarely goes forward with it.

I thought he did well. The time when he turned and split two pressing WBA players and drove forward was the type of run we've seen from him a few times now and need to see more of. One of the times he was caught in possession I thought his teammate played him a lazy pass and nobody warned him he was being closed down from behind.

Bannan was definitely a spark when he came on, but I think he was given different marching orders than Delph, so it's not really fair to compare how well they pressed the attack. Bannan came on at a time when Villa were starting to dominate possession and pressing for the equalizer and then winner, while Delph had to hold a deeper position and play out of the back for the first 70 minutes. Two very different tasks. I think people would have been a lot less critical of Bannan for leaving the defense exposed pushing for a late equalizer/winner than they would have been of Delph for doing it during the earlier stages of the game. It's natural that Bannan will have had more offensive success...

I just dont see his as that good of a player. Hopefully he changes my mind. Does very little going forward.

He's playing effectively as a CDM - it's not his job to get forward, he's there to start the attacks, keep things ticking over in the middle and allows KEA to get forward whilst he offers cover.

I agree it was never a foul.

If someone has decided that "in this day and age" that is a foul, then the authorities need to go and change what is acceptable back 10 years.

I also don't understand the argument "studs showing". Please explain to me how it is even physically possible to slide tackle without studs 'showing'. It's not possible to slide with your foot facing flat down on the ground as your leg is on it's side.

i think 'showing' is to be interpreted and angled towards the player.

its very easy to do a slide tackle with the bridge of your foot angle towards your target rather than your sole and i believe this is why he got booked.

A bit harsh but by the above reasoning a just one (not saying i agree with the rule in any way shape or form)

He was fine, but he needs to learn not to dawdle to long on the ball. He got caught out in possession on two occasions of the top of my head, which he can't be doing in our half of the pitch.

He was dispossessed 4 times against West Brom, same as Bennett. Holman however had it taken off him 6 times - unsurprising that though.

Â