Fabian Delph

davidplatt7

As another poster has already said was his best game in a Villa shirt he was execellent last night very very impressed but it's just 1 game !

That was the best midfield peformance though from a midfield player I have seen in a Villa shirt in 2 seasons !

Let's see if he plays Sunday and how he does but looked the player we thought he could be when we bought him .

MM, I said after the West Ham game he was our best midfielder in that game, plus he was very impressive against Tranmere but like you say it is one game but i think it actually frees up KEA too, they'll have this understanding that one drops and one moves forward. Just think Bannan and KEA in the middle is too lightweight.

Very good interview with him on AVTV

Agreed

I've always liked Delph. I don't agree with Baz's comments that he's been crap since we've signed him.

He's had good games, average games, below-average games and a lot of time in the treatment room. I really hope he can push on from this performance because he seems like a very level-headed guy with a brain in his head, unlike a lot of footballers.

My MOTM as well. Very mature display. Not sure why people would react to this with any kind of shock... not anyone who watched all of the game, not just our goals.

I'd be interested to see him playing behind the two strikers. We've only really seen him as central midfielder (and briefly as a leftback or left winger).

Something like this maybe:

------------ Gabby ----- Benteke ------------

-------------------- Delph ---------------------

-- Bannan ------ El Ahmadi ------ Holman --

Bennett ---- Clark ----- Vlaar ------- Lowton

-------------------- Guzan ---------------------

Aston Villa midfielder Fabian Delph has revealed Paul Lambert’s pep talk inspired their Capital One Cup win over Manchester City.

Villa claimed one of the shocks of the third round with a 4-2 extra-time victory over the Premier League champions at the Etihad Stadium. Delph admits Villa were keen to make up for last weekend’s defeat at Southampton by putting in an improved performance against City:

“The manager gave a nice speech before the game and as far as we were concerned we weren’t there to give them respect. We were there to get the win and if it ended up with us having to fight with them and play a few tricks and to twist up the game a bit, we were willing to do that. We wanted the win and we were confident we could win the game. We are a young group of players, we have all got fire in our bellies. We are hungry to do well for the club, for the chairman, for the fans and for the gaffer, especially after the defeat to Southampton. It was important to bounce back.”

Delph was pleased with how his own fitness held up after coming through 120 minutes of football unscathed after a series of injuries. He continued:

“I can’t remember the last time I played 90 minutes myself, so it was a massive step for me.”

http://tinyurl.com/dx34eq9

Can be a good player for us, think he's getting back to his best.

Â