Fabian Delph

davidplatt7

His tackling is dangerous. Twice in the game yesterday he scissored...will end up getting sent off or injured. He needs to be taken out out of the team as unfortunatelty he isn't coping at present. Could still be a good player....but he needs to learn.

Delph can be a very good player I think. But he isn't that at the moment.

I'd agree with the comments about giving Gary Gardner a chance.

One thing I've seen so far from McLeish which impresses me though: he doesn't seem afraid to drop players underperforming. We saw it with N'Zogbia, we saw it with Ireland, we saw it with Makoun in an extreme way. So Delph must be impressing McLeish in other areas, or McLeish genuinely feels from training that he can suddenly find his feet and impress us all, otherwise I don't think it'll be too long before we do see a change. Maybe the introduction of Jenas will be what McLeish feels we need, but from all the talk of Gardner I can't see what harm it can do to give the kid a chance.. I don't think it's particularly added pressure when the player he's replacing is not up to scratch.

I think Bannan will turn out to be the better midfielder so I'd rather be giving him time. A midfield of Ireland-Petrov-Jenas isn't too bad and Bannan can come on for Ireland later. I think Delph should be a LM where he can have more time on the ball because he always seems to nervous on the ball.

As many have said he seems to struggle with his first touch and has a bad habit of draging the ball sideways and slightly backwards to get controll of the ball. IMO he needs a break and I would replace him with Gardner to check his style out. Bannan needs to play instead of Heskey. Jenas doesn't seem to be back fit enough soon enough!

• 1 month later...

To be booked inside 150 seconds is simply not acceptable

I do think he's being played out of position though, he's an ACM

Second touch is a sliding tackle at the moment, needs to step it up soon

Â