Fabian Delph

davidplatt7

The people slating him on here are just demonstrating how little they know about football. He was much better yesterday, rash challenge at the start but was very good after that. He was robbed of the ball less than Herd was and helped support Gabby a lot with some nice tidy passes.

So if someone's opinion differs to yours then they know very little about football?

Oh God, we're back to the opinion thing again?

By stating something on here, it is my opinion. Therefore, yes, if someone's opinion differs from mine, in this case, then they know very little about Football, in my opinion.

I don't see how people can't get their head around the whole forum posting = opinion thing.

He's still learning the trade - harsh to slate him at this point in his career.

Due to injuries and MON he is still almost in his first full season in the PL. I agree with the poster who said that he would like to see him in a more attacking role as he has all the weapons in his game to be a threat in the final third, wheras tackling has never been his strongest point. Take off the shackles of being a defensive midfielder, and I think you would see a different Delph.

Also, to write him off at this point in his career is foolish. I seem to recall quite a few people on here slating Bale and Dawson a couple of seasons back, those two players are not doing so bad now are they.

Delph was embarrasing yesterday. His tackiling is rash, his crossing of the ball was woeful and I have never seen anyone misplace so many simple passes. Quite why we persist with him I will never know. He has been awful every time he has played this season apart from against Blackburn where his performance was okay.

He's still learning the trade - harsh to slate him at this point in his career.

Due to injuries and MON he is still almost in his first full season in the PL. I agree with the poster who said that he would like to see him in a more attacking role as he has all the weapons in his game to be a threat in the final third, wheras tackling has never been his strongest point. Take off the shackles of being a defensive midfielder, and I think you would see a different Delph.

Also, to write him off at this point in his career is foolish. I seem to recall quite a few people on here slating Bale and Dawson a couple of seasons back, those two players are not doing so bad now are they.

Agreed, Delph is a potentially outstanding attacking midfielder. Judging him in a defensive role is unfair imo.

He was better than he has been in some games this season yesterday but he still makes rash challenges, has a poor first touch at times and looses the ball in dangerous situations by dwelling too long. He is along way from a decent player yet! Why oh why McShite didn't start with Herd, Jenas and Bannan is really beyond me?

Thats exactly what I thought. Heskey and Delph should have been nowhere near the starting 11.

McLeish has got to be the worst at team selections in the history of football mangement. I have no idea what he is doing, Delph over Bannan was quite frankly ridiculous. Bannan did more in 10 mins yesterday than Delph has managed all season

The people slating him on here are just demonstrating how little they know about football. He was much better yesterday, rash challenge at the start but was very good after that. He was robbed of the ball less than Herd was and helped support Gabby a lot with some nice tidy passes.

So if someone's opinion differs to yours then they know very little about football?

By stating something on here, it is my opinion. Therefore, yes, if someone's opinion differs from mine, in this case, then they know very little about Football, in my opinion.

I don't see how people can't get their head around the whole forum posting = opinion thing.

It seems like it's you who can't get your head around it. People have some basis for saying Delph sucks. People also have some (probably different) basis for saying he is good. You, though, have pretty much no basis for saying that people know nothing about football, just for having a different opinion.

Saying 'opinions differ, deal with it' is quite different to saying 'all other opinions on football are basically worthless'.

Spoke to a few non-Villa fans after the game an they all thought he played well and was the dominant midfield player on show - at least until Jenas and Bannan came on. Perhaps thats damning with faint praise given the opposition.

Give him a chance in a more attacking role and I think we might see a much better player. That said surely Jenas and Bannan have to start next match.

It seems like it's you who can't get your head around it. People have some basis for saying Delph sucks. People also have some (probably different) basis for saying he is good. You, though, have pretty much no basis for saying that people know nothing about football, just for having a different opinion.

Saying 'opinions differ, deal with it' is quite different to saying 'all other opinions on football are basically worthless'.

But... apart from the last line, which I don't understand, you're agreeing with me?

The problem with Delph is that he doesn't have something that stands out for me.

Albrighton has his crossing.

Bannan has his creativity and passing.

Gardner has proved at lower level that he can consistently get goals.

Herd has the engine and the physicality to play the defensive role.

Delph on the other hand is just inconsistent with every part of his game apart from his tackling which is far too rash.

Some games he has a great touch, others the ball just bounces away.

Sometimes he has excellent footwork, but then at the same time he can easily fall over the ball or give it away.

At Leeds he proved he can score goals, we haven't seen it.

We has displayed an excellent passing range but hasn't done it enough, and on occasion gives the simplest pass away.

I certainly agree he's in the wrong position, he isn't imposing enough to play the role he's playing but I'm also unsure if he's good enough to play elsewhere.

But... apart from the last line, which I don't understand, you're agreeing with me?
Well, no I don't agree with you that people who slate Delph know very little about football. That was what I was saying.

His ball retention has been poor every time he's played. He hasn't created anything. He isn't an especially good ball winner either. Added to that, his tackling is crazy rash. That tackling was what MON singled out as an area for improvement, it was what caused his big knee injury, and yet he doesn't seem to have taken anything on board.

What Delph did have when he first came on the scene was an fantastic range of passing and the confidence to play without fear. In his first few games he spread the ball far and wide and he was a breath of fresh air in that he made these long passes - wait for it - forwards.

I don't know if its his injuries or simply the experience of working with Petrov et al but he now seems to be like a deer in the headlights when he has the ball, and if he is under any pressure at all he tends to fumble or give it away. That tells me he is lacking in confidence and is either afraid of being tackled or afraid of being berated/dropped/overlooked for not playing safely enough.

He needs time and games and I find it difficult to see the logic in them saying Gardner needs games out on loan because he had a bad injury and it not being the same for Delph, given that his injury was roughly the same at the same time.

Well, no I don't agree with you that people who slate Delph know very little about football. That was what I was saying.

His ball retention has been poor every time he's played. He hasn't created anything. He isn't an especially good ball winner either. Added to that, his tackling is crazy rash. That tackling was what MON singled out as an area for improvement, it was what caused his big knee injury, and yet he doesn't seem to have taken anything on board.

I totally agree. And IMO Delph has done very little so far this season to justify his inclusion in the starting line up ahead of Bannan and Jenas.

Look at it this way:

We have three similar players for one spot - AttackingMC behind striker(s) - Ireland, Bannan and Delph.

Ireland should not play MC beacuase he is not tracking back his players and poor tackling.

Bannan is so small for MC that he needs to be higher up the pitch on the AMC, he can not head the ball.

Delph is so small and has poor tackling.

All above should play only as AMC in front of two from Herd, Petrov or Jenas.

Simple as that.

My current preferred order is: 1. Bannan, 2. Ireland 3. Delph

The problem with Delph is that he doesn't have something that stands out for me.

Albrighton has his crossing.

Bannan has his creativity and passing.

Gardner has proved at lower level that he can consistently get goals.

Herd has the engine and the physicality to play the defensive role.

Delph on the other hand is just inconsistent with every part of his game apart from his tackling which is far too rash.

Some games he has a great touch, others the ball just bounces away.

Sometimes he has excellent footwork, but then at the same time he can easily fall over the ball or give it away.

At Leeds he proved he can score goals, we haven't seen it.

We has displayed an excellent passing range but hasn't done it enough, and on occasion gives the simplest pass away.

I certainly agree he's in the wrong position, he isn't imposing enough to play the role he's playing but I'm also unsure if he's good enough to play elsewhere.

This is how I see Delph and as Ponky said he looked great when he first signed pinging balls around and we haven't seen that plus Bannan is better than him at doing it.

Each game barring perhaps Fulham and Blackburn the ball is bouncing off him and he looks a yellow card waiting to happen.

It's a worry isn't it, he spends too much time looking out of his depth; then again playing 87mins with a yellow when you have a reputation for reds probably does put caution into your mind.

The problem is how many chances can you be given before you have to step away from the front line?

Gardener is now getting first team football on a short loan, Petrov rarely loses the ball, Bannan has to play and Jenas seems like an Eck favourite.

Herd is a youth player and looks a much more comfortable player.

Its a worry, I like him as he has good energy and a great sideways pass but he needs to improve, quickly, because we look very average in the middle and something will definitely change.

Delph is an ACM, that's where we need to play him

Delph is incapable of passing a ball to a team mate 5 yards away at the moment.

Reserves if where we need to play him or send him Doncaster where every other player seems to be going these days :lol:

Delph is an ACM, that's where we need to play him

Cant say I can clearly see where his best position is but currently having a first touch that is akin to Emile, I dont really see how playing him further up the pitch where there is even less time and space is going to help matters.

Delph has been one of the major dispointments for me this season. When big players leave like young and downing, you look for the next player to step up and i was hoping it would be delph. Not only has it not been but hes been really poor.

Â