Fabian Delph

davidplatt7

When Baker went off in the 36th minute, how many of us would have selected Delph at LB?

Wasn't he predominantly played at left back at Leeds though? I'm sure when he first started making a name for himself it was at left back.

The lads is a class act no doubt about that and showed it again today in an unfamiliar position. At 6 mill he will prove to be a great signing and an absolute steal and I expect him to be a fixture in the side next season. Keeping hold of him will be the problem and it would be nice to see him tied up to a 5 year contract. Alongside Ash and Downing he will be up there as our most accomplished player.

Just like NRC at right back, I see no harm in playing a left sided central midfielder at left back. The full backs have to be able to cover ground quickly, close down, tackle and distribute the ball efficiently, not a million miles away from what they have to do in the midfield. That said, I think he had quite an easy ride today.

The more I think about Delph making an appearance at left back the more I actually like the idea. Gareth Barry played his fair share of games at LB and for some that was a position they preferred him in.

With the chances that Clark will have at CB and the LB job still open, Delph may be a good choice. One thing is certain, he won't be any worse than Warnock on a bad day.

In fact given the skills that FD already has he will probably make an exceptional LB especially considering how important the transition game from defence to going forward is to GH's style of play.

As another poster already has stated, the difference between a left sided midfielder and LB is not that great.

Just as Kyle Walker and Downing are building a threat on the right, today we saw how Delph and Albrighton could do something equally successful on the left.

If this is accomplished and there is no reason why it cannot be, we have a lot of good football to look forward to.

My greatest wish for Delph is for him to fulfill the early promise he has shown and above all, stay healthy. Good luck to the lad.

I really do like the way that GH thinks, especially when it comes to developing the younger players.

Next on the agenda must be Barry Bannan. Can we download Pires' footballing vision into Barry?

I really do like the way that GH thinks, especially when it comes to developing the younger players.

Next on the agenda must be Barry Bannan. Can we download Pires' footballing vision into Barry?

i still dont quite see the developing young players thing. Who is he playing that he doesnt have a choice about? How is he developing Delf and Bannan?

i still dont quite see the developing young players thing. Who is he playing that he doesnt have a choice about? How is he developing Delf and Bannan?

Warnock and Beye both are not playing at all - he's dropped them completely and they are unlikely to play ever again. He is instead playing Clark/Baker/Walker who are all young. He could have quite easily gone grovelling back to Warnock (as many I saw on here wanted him to) also he brought on Delph yesterday - I personally would have brought on Heskey and played him at DC with CC at LB.

Â