Fabian Delph

davidplatt7

I really do like the way that GH thinks, especially when it comes to developing the younger players.

Next on the agenda must be Barry Bannan. Can we download Pires' footballing vision into Barry?

i still dont quite see the developing young players thing. Who is he playing that he doesnt have a choice about? How is he developing Delf and Bannan?

Warnock and Beye both are not playing at all - he's dropped them completely and they are unlikely to play ever again. He is instead playing Clark/Baker/Walker who are all young. He could have quite easily gone grovelling back to Warnock (as many I saw on here wanted him to) also he brought on Delph yesterday - I personally would have brought on Heskey and played him at DC with CC at LB.

depends how you look at it i suppose. I see it as hes burnt his bridges and has to rely on younger players. For someone so good at developing young lads where are Bannan and Delf? Walker is a loan signing in on merit, while Young i wouldnt really class him as developed. In fact he went out and bought in a loan signing rather than develop Lichaj?

This developing the young lads is a myth for me. Delph was an 8m purchase, not someone plucked from the youth team.

I really do like the way that GH thinks, especially when it comes to developing the younger players.

Next on the agenda must be Barry Bannan. Can we download Pires' footballing vision into Barry?

i still dont quite see the developing young players thing. Who is he playing that he doesnt have a choice about? How is he developing Delf and Bannan?

Warnock and Beye both are not playing at all - he's dropped them completely and they are unlikely to play ever again. He is instead playing Clark/Baker/Walker who are all young. He could have quite easily gone grovelling back to Warnock (as many I saw on here wanted him to) also he brought on Delph yesterday - I personally would have brought on Heskey and played him at DC with CC at LB.

depends how you look at it i suppose. I see it as hes burnt his bridges and has to rely on younger players. For someone so good at developing young lads where are Bannan and Delf? Walker is a loan signing in on merit, while Young i wouldnt really class him as developed. In fact he went out and bought in a loan signing rather than develop Lichaj?

This developing the young lads is a myth for me. Delph was an 8m purchase, not someone plucked from the youth team.

I agree maybe the young lads thing has been blown up a bit more, but I think GH is more willing to rotate and throw a jersey to a young lad than MON was. Delfouneso is behind Gabby and Bent in the pecking order and will presumably be a cup player, as will Bannan, until they both mature a bit more. I would like to see both of them used a bit more, but it is also important not to throw all of them in at once. I would like to see Delfouneso get a loan in the Championship. I mean look how Sturridge has done at Bolton.

Definitely need to get him to sign up to a new contract, hopefully a 5 year deal in the summer would be ideal just before he starts putting in regular performances next season. Club needs to learn with contracts imo, hopefully we will get better but big or promising players coming within 18months of their contract that we dont want to lose (i.e Young) we should really try and re-sign with 2 years left of their contract.

Even with player power players will still leave so long contracts are good for everybody, player can still leave cause realistically he still has the power, clubs get more money for their players (Carroll £35m), meaning clubs dont hate their players when they leave as much if they get big fee's in return.

Me too, without doubt, aslong as we get in there soon and don't leave it too long as thats when players get to a point of only having 12-18 months left and get their heads turned by Chelsea, Man U etc and then command a relatively small fee.

He played well yesterday in the left back role, passing was good. Wasn't really tested by Blackburn but he showed a great attitude in stepping in. I'd like him to sign a new long term deal, I wouldn't have thought there'd be a great deal of interest in him from bigger clubs at this minute as they might want to watch how he develops for the next couple of years. He might as well sign up at the Villa and watch us grow.

would like to see him play at left back for another couple games to see how he plays there

we look far better and played far better when he replaced baker.

nothing against young baker but delph will get more protection as a left back and may find it is his best position for us.

we have more than enough midfielders, if delph is to get match fit and get game time i think at left back may be the best place for it to happen.

mind you blackburn were dogdirt so it cant be judged purely on one game

I wouldn't throw him in there if we had league game next, although saying that, I think BOF pointed it out, we don't actually know what goes on in training so possibly he's been playing there, Albrighton apparently said he played in a training game there so maybe he felt he was ready.

For me, City on Wednesday is going to be extremely tough, so I'd actually play him there and see how he does, it's FA Cup as well against a difficult team, not really a massive priority so be good to try a few things..

mind you blackburn were dogdirt so it cant be judged purely on one game

Yes they were shit and it could be another story is he was to come up against a tricky winger. Only one way to find out though I guess.

I cant judge Baker on such little time at the level but I do know that Delph brought an assurance and confidence that lacks in a few in the team that are not as blessed with as much ability.

Nani vs Delph .........I know where my money will go.

Well I think Nani is currently the best winger in the Prem, Delph defensively, love the enthusiasm and is getting better but still hasn't mastered the art of tackling and isn't naturally a defender so If I had to put a bet on it, I'd say Nani would beat Delph over the course of a game for an individual battle. Although Reo-Coker did once mark Ronaldo out the game but I think Reo-Coker is far more capable defensively in that area than Delph.

Well I think Nani is currently the best winger in the Prem, Delph defensively, love the enthusiasm and is getting better but still hasn't mastered the art of tackling and isn't naturally a defender so If I had to put a bet on it, I'd say Nani would beat Delph over the course of a game for an individual battle. Although Reo-Coker did once mark Ronaldo out the game but I think Reo-Coker is far more capable defensively in that area than Delph.

I just thought he was disciplined and brought so much to the role. Make no mistake Delph can tackle and you cant say that about everyone at Villa. The thing is I dont mind (like) players who put themselves about and I reckon Nani would be on a stretcher before he went past Delph.

Delph had very little to do against Blackburn defensively as a we dominated possession from start to finish. Also Emerton was playing very narrow and Salgado was very unadvernturous at RB which made it easy for Delph.

Its clear to me that Delph is a central midfielder, he can do a job at LB no doubt, but his talents are wasted there. For me he is the one of the best (if not the best) passers in the team and played the pass of the game (a delightful 50 yard ball that swerved around two blackburn defenders right into the path of Albrighton). He's got skill, passing range, agression, a lovely first touch and is the most composed players in the squad, a star in the making.

Delph had very little to do against Blackburn defensively as a we dominated possession from start to finish. Also Emerton was playing very narrow and Salgado was very unadvernturous at RB which made it easy for Delph.

Its clear to me that Delph is a central midfielder, he can do a job at LB no doubt, but his talents are wasted there. For me he is the one of the best (if not the best) passers in the team and played the pass of the game (a delightful 50 yard ball that swerved around two blackburn defenders right into the path of Albrighton). He's got skill, passing range, agression, a lovely first touch and is the most composed players in the squad, a star in the making.

I agree, he should be signed up long term asap!

Â