Fabian Delph

davidplatt7

What I read from Micah's comments is:

"If you think you're good enough to break the first team, go for it, but don't ring my phone when you're just a bench warmer and you miss out on the Euros."

IMO Richards has said the exact right thing for us. He's honest, of course playing for City would be good, but being on City's bench could ruin his career. I know players have to back themselves but surely Delph will look at this and realise he's not going to be first team.

What intrigues me is that City is the only link. If that clause is true then why aren't more clubs queueing up for him? More chance of playing at Arsenal and Utd than City. If it's a clause for clubs playing in Europe then surely West Ham would have declared interest, he'd become their best player for 8m.. And they're not usually quiet when it comes to spewing to the media who they want to sign from competitors.

The fact he's English and city's desperation for home grown players seems to be the only thing driving these rumours.

If Delph wasn't English, or if City weren't so desperate for English players in their squad, would they even be interested? I doubt it.

I doubt Delph cold play for Arsenal, especially the way they play. Passing isn't his strongest point

Richards had the option not to answer on the question about Delph. I find it incredulous that's here's been here all of two minuets & he's openly talking about another player asking advice on a possible move.

Surprised at the reaction to Richards' comments. He said all the right things IMO and it's not like it's anything we don't already know. I'd be worried if he said "he should totes leave", but he didn't. Besides, Delph isn't an idiot. I'm sure he can make decisions for himself and it makes perfect sense to ask a former employee about a potential other role.

• Like 2

I thought what Richards said was  balanced, a pretty good response.  It's cleverly opened the seed of doubt, whilst remaining honest.

People who say he should of told Delph a total pack of lies to try and keep him here...dear oh dear.

• Like 3

He shouldn't be advising our players what it'd be like at another club, especially when it's one our best players. Doesn't really matter anyway I suspect the whole thing has been taken out of context, maybe Delph asked him what it's like at Man City but not specifically because he's moving there. I think Delph will still be a Villa player come September.

• Like 1

Agreed. What Richards said was fair and balanced. The article never mentions when Delph and Richards had their little chat, but I think it's fair to say that every last one of us would do the same.

Of course, this still doesn't mean that City have actually come in for him. Delph could just be enquiring should it become a possibility.

FWIW, I think this chat would have been a little while ago and I still have little doubt that Delph will be here with us next season. From what I understand, he can in early for pre-season and has already sat down with Tim Sherwood. If he had decided that he's going, no way would they have used him as the focal point of the kit launch poster.

As I've mentioned earlier, a certain player seems to think that the release clause is not all that it's made out to be. He has no idea on the figure, but believes it to be tied to a few factors, such as relegation, so it is more of a safety net for the player rather than a 'come and get me'.

Also, if a first-choice England international midfielder was available for around £10m, then surely every team in the league would have bid for him already.

IMO, there's a lot less in this story than is being printed. 

He shouldn't be advising our players what it'd be like at another club, especially when it's one our best players. Doesn't really matter anyway I suspect the whole thing has been taken out of context, maybe Delph asked him what it's like at Man City but not specifically because he's moving there. I think Delph will still be a Villa player come September.

Why not? If you can't go to a mate an get an honest opinion then he's not really a mate is he.

If they were both such good mates then surely they'd want to stick together at Villa. We get talk of players from other teams tapping up our players on international duty without our own players tapping each other up, lol. But as I say I suspect the thing has been blown out of proportion. i think Delph will stay.

Be loopy not to go.  To be honest, I thought he was loopy to sign the new contract.  Yeah, he almost definitely won't be getting as much game time, but I imagine almost every player whose career path is on an upward trajectory fancies themselves to force their way into bigger teams, otherwise what's the point?  Removing emotion and looking at it objectively, hell I would snap up the chance to go from captain of seemingly perpetual relegation battlers to challenging for trophies, European football and a monster wage packet, even if it did mean fewer opportunities.

At least if he does leave, we'll be getting some cash as opposed to nothing at all.

• Like 2

Be loopy not to go.  To be honest, I thought he was loopy to sign the new contract.  Yeah, he almost definitely won't be getting as much game time, but I imagine almost every player whose career path is on an upward trajectory fancies themselves to force their way into bigger teams, otherwise what's the point?  Removing emotion and looking at it objectively, hell I would snap up the chance to go from captain of seemingly perpetual relegation battlers to challenging for trophies, European football and a monster wage packet, even if it did mean fewer opportunities.

At least if he does leave, we'll be getting some cash as opposed to nothing at all.

agree,  but i still dont think he's going anywhere

That's the key point.

To him, he won't be going to man City to sit on the bench. He'll be going to Man City to force his way into the first team, and probably win some trophies, play in the champions league and get paid a shit load along the way.

Sky are reporting that Man City have pulled out of signing Pogba. Apparently £71m is the asking price and he wants £250k a week. A quarter of a million a week. That's absolutely ridiculous.

Here's a quote from Sky: 'It is thought City have now taken a step back from negotiations as the demands too much for the club.'

If it's a struggle for City then it doesn't look like anyone can afford him. Anyway, I just wonder if this news means they'll start looking at Delph more seriously. I couldn't blame him if he wanted to go to be honest.

I think the most logical outcome would be to stay here for this season, play the euros, then use the clause to get away.

Gives us another year to prove to him that we are moving in the right direction too!

My fear is that Delph's willingness to hang around might be linked to the future of Benteke, and if we lose one we'll lose the two.

• Like 1

I certainly wouldn't hold it against him if he went to Manchester City. It's not like we are taking about Liverpool or Tottenham here. I betraying won't hold it against him for considering it!

I too thought the comments were well balanced and pretty straight up. He seems a good egg does Richards.

• Like 1

My fear is that Delph's willingness to hang around might be linked to the future of Benteke, and if we lose one we'll lose the two.

Thats a very good point. i think he will look at takeover/signings then see

I personally think deplh is best suited at Arsenal

If it's a struggle for City then it doesn't look like anyone can afford him. Anyway, I just wonder if this news means they'll start looking at Delph more seriously. I couldn't blame him if he wanted to go to be honest.

I'd assume that the intention was to buy both; Pogba as the marquee signing and Delph to strengthen options and fulfil the homegrown quota. They'll have another high-profile target on the list as an alternative to Pogba. It does mean they may put more effort into trying to wrap up the Delph move in the meantime though, you're right.

They don't NEED to fill the homegrown quota, it's just that you can only have a given amount of non-homegrown players in your squad and the rest is to be filled by homegrown ones. If they had no intention of playing someone bought as homegrown then they're as well not bothering and just leaving the squad a man light

Â