Fabian Delph

davidplatt7

Makes a huge difference having Delph carrying the ball forward rather than just playing crab-ball.

Having that extra man running at the edge of the box when we go forward also makes a difference.

• Like 1

Him and Sanchez could be a very good central midfield partnership.

Delph seriously needs to think about his next move.None of the teams he has been linked with has a central defender as good as Okores atm.None of the teams he is linked with have a better holding midfielder than Sanchez atm, and none of those teams have a striker anywhere near as good as CB.We are not far off a good team, a good midfielder in front of Delph/Sanchez, a Remy kind of striker off CB, and a good winger/crosser, we are certainly as good as West Ham.

Sanchez and Okores have taken us from no future to a bright future. 

UTV

• Like 2

I don't know if I'm keeping more of an eye on Delph due to the possibility of losing him, but he's such a mixed bag!  We definitely benefit from him being in the team, but he has obvious downfalls.

There were 3 or 4 occasions today when he lost possession in dangerous midfield areas (essentially, doing what Sanchez did previously).  But, at the same time, he's got the best footwork out of any of our central players and is quick to keep the move flowing.  He drives forward effortlessly and at speed - which very much suits our style of play.

I'd hate to lose him because he's a very effective midfielder... yet I also can't see which top side comes in for him.  Bias or not, I think he'd be better staying with us for the time being.  I think he can become very good, but he's not quite there yet.

I think United had him targeted for closing down very early. Most of our other players were able to get a bit of time on the ball but there was always someone close to Delph.

I saw it this way too. They were on him constantly.

We are so much better with him in the team.

Maybe we have a chance of keeping him if we can finish top 10?

I'm think he will be off - and we will be worse off for it. We should be making the spine of the team out of Okore, Delph and Benteke. But why would Delph stay? Arguably we've only had 2 seasons out of him, and in the last season plus this one, he's come good.

I think he is very ambitious and would want to use his England form to get a big payday and into a top six team. We might be top ten, but he will go to someone who has a shout of Champions League football. That is unless we sign a marque player in Jan that gives us that extra push up the table.

You can't blame the guy for wanting the chance to play at a higher level, just wish it was us. He said a season or so ago that he would miss the birth of his child to help Villa stay up. It would be nice to see that commitment now wouldn't it?

Well 6months left on cleverley's contract means he is worth 7.5 so what spending our 15m from Delph on? Lol

Exactly what i was thinking after reading the latest about cleverley. 

Both aged 25 with 6 months left on existing contracts,

One is an ex-international who's unlikely to be called upon anytime soon, & the one who's probably taken his place and a most likely starter. 

I think 12/15m is about the going rate if the 7/8m figures for TC are correct..

Edited by Kingman

The problem is we are trying to get away from paying the sort of wages that got us into this mess. 

Its all well and good saying pay him this and that, but in reality it could really mess up the squad doing this.

There could be creative ways around it, I only hope Mr Fox can conjure something.

• Like 1

If (when) we lose Delph, I really hope we take a look at Bolassie at Crystal Palace. Think he could do a job of filling that gap nicely.

I would love bolasie here, but he's not the same type of player as delph. Bolasie is the winger we've been missing. Edited by AXD

Makes a huge difference having Delph carrying the ball forward rather than just playing crab-ball.

Having that extra man running at the edge of the box when we go forward also makes a difference.

This will be the biggest loss of him going with me.

He's the only midfielder we have who's direct and can dribble with the ball and start off some of our moves.

With Cleverley, Sanchez and Westwood they're not bad individually but it's all very drab and uncreative.

• Like 1

Proved all the people who aren't bothered that he's leaving wrong. He was (and is) by far our best midfielder and is good enough to play for a team with bigger ambitions than us. Wouldn't be surprised to see him at the liverpool next season.

If he could score goals Delph would be worth double.

Always been a massive fan of him but also recognise the missing parts of his games and his faults. I do however always have that feeling that one day it will click and he will be world class. It may never happen but he wouldn't be the first player to go from good player to class mid to late twenties. He seems like a player that trains hard anyway so either it will just either just click or it will be down to the coaching or playing with better player if he is to reach that level if he has it in him.

It's a pretty hard decision for him, are we holding him back? will he get enough opportunities at a bigger club? I just hope we have a good second half of the season and we can keep hold of him.

Yep. Cleverley was supposed to be an attacking player too, but he's caught the crab fever too it seems...

Â