Fabian Delph

davidplatt7

I thought at the the beginning of the game he tried to beat men around our own box and lost possession in dangerous situations.. However, as the game went on he grew into it more. One part in the second half he beat two men and I just sat in awe thinking how the hell did he do that. Needs a bit more composure around the opposition box, in releasing the ball, but overall his development in the last 7 months has been fantastic.

Delph regained his crown as interception king from El Ahmadi tonight. 4 interceptions and 5 tackles.

I liked the way at times he dribbled out of trouble to create space in midfield.

However, when he dribbled out of trouble he got a simple pass away and that was sweet because he took the simple ball. But when his dribbles were deliberate attacking moves I think he got dispossessed or misplaced the pass at the end of it every time.

What's the difference? He tries to do too much himself. He's not dribbling 40 yards and passing the ball back to Guzan anymore but he is obviously over-complicating it. It's stopping him being an attacking force.

If Delph could dribble and then release effectively then he would link midfield and attack better than any other midfielder we have.

Agree. Good post. You seem to be, erm, a good judge of a midfielder.

• Like 3

Future captain if he carries on like this? Chuffed for him that it's going so well lately.

Yep, and he acts like a captain out there, imploring and marshaling his teammates, very vocal. He plays on a knife edge too, but so far, so good, he's made some really brilliant runs, and made some clever turns and whatnot.

I'd like to see him play further up the pitch and attack more. Our counterattacking from wide positions will eventually be neutralized, so we need some thrust from the middle of the pitch. If PL isn't going to buy an AM, Delph could step into that role.

If Delph could dribble and then release effectively then he would link midfield and attack better than any other midfielder we have.

article-1331335-0C25C7DB000005DC-951_468

Any need? He was giving Delph a lot of praise

Yeah, it's getting old.

Delph was quality last night and last Saturday. If he keeps performing like that he will be in the England squad that goes to the World Cup - if they qualify!

Really impressed with his development and seems to have become a much better player since Lambert arrived. I think a lot of praise also needs to go to our manager and coaching staff.

Very pleased for him - if he keeps this up he will be going to Brazil (as long as we get there).

Anyone know his contract situation?

Also is anyone else worried that if we buy a genuine AM then Delph will be put back in a holding two? Good to have options but he is so much better as a box to box player it is untrue.

His added confidence has allowed him to show that he is a really skilful player, capable of beating people from a standing start. We didn't see that for 2/3 yrs with injuries etc.

For me he has now played Ramires off the park in consecutive games against Chelsea. They bought him for £20m

Think he'll get the armband when Vlaar isn't playing this year, did in pre-season too.

I agree, he looks to be one of the strongest contenders for captain, especially in future if he keeps his form going and stays injury free. Always looks very vocal on the pitch and comes across very well in the interviews.

Very pleased for him - if he keeps this up he will be going to Brazil (as long as we get there).

Also is anyone else worried that if we buy a genuine AM then Delph will be put back in a holding two? Good to have options but he is so much better as a box to box player it is untrue.

His added confidence has allowed him to show that he is a really skilful player, capable of beating people from a standing start. We didn't see that for 2/3 yrs with injuries etc.

For me he has now played Ramires off the park in consecutive games against Chelsea. They bought him for £20m

Delph is not a box-to-box player and hasn't been played as such.

Over a number of seasons with us he's not shown he has the ability to be a box-to-box player either.

He tackles, intercepts and dribbles into space. Done this brilliantly against Arsenal and Chelsea.

However, until he can shoot and make incisive passes he won't be an attacking threat.

That doesn't mean we shouldn't play him for his other qualities. This is not a negative post. Delph's not a box-to-box player or a source of goals and assists for the team.

If Football Manager and my memory are anything to go by, he's on about £40k a week until 2015, our third highest paid player at the moment.

EDIT - Not our 3rd highest paid player, I'd already dismissed the 'bomb squad'  :blush:

Edited by Paddywhack

Delph is not a box-to-box player and hasn't been played as such.

However, until he can shoot and make incisive passes he won't be an attacking threat.

Cobblers. He is absolutely box to box and not that it's relevant in a discussion about a box to box midfielder but he was an inch from scoring against Arsenal.

Or... he had a good shooting opportunity and didn't score, and hasn't done in what amounts to near 2000 minutes of Premier League football. Not only hasn't he scored, he doesn't get assists either.

None of this is a problem because he looks spectacular as a tackler, interceptor and dribbler. Delph is unique in being great at these defensive duties and possessing a good dribble.

Delph would be ideal played next to a true box-to-box midfielder. 

"Or ...". You always have a tenuous rebuttal for everything Con. I've followed the Bannan discussions. In my view (and it appears Big John's too) you're wrong in what you think a box to box midfielder is. But what the Bannan discussion has also taught me is not to bother getting into a discussion over it, so this is me leaving.

• Like 1

Â