Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

17 minutes ago, Rodders said:

Perhaps he should try Annan. 

That would be better for ordering an Indian takeaway.

Anyway, all this talk of coffee, can anyone recommend a decent coffee machine?  I've been looking around but the price range is ridiculous and I've no idea whether more money = better coffee.

2 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

My mate has had to start giving a different name in coffee shops because his name's Kofi and the baristas think he's taking the piss.

(that's not true at all, I made it up to be popular)

So lapal's real name is Kofi? Can't be Rob, as his name must be Rob, and no way you've got more than two mates! :detect:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sharkyvilla said:

Anyway, all this talk of coffee, can anyone recommend a decent coffee machine?  I've been looking around but the price range is ridiculous and I've no idea whether more money = better coffee.

Just buy a French press. They are cheap as chips and will make coffee that's just as good as any machine .

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

If you're talking filter coffee, a Moccamaster is the best. It looks hideously expensive in the UK though. 50-60% more that in Sweden???

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Tegis said:

If you're talking filter coffee, a Moccamaster is the best. It looks hideously expensive in the UK though. 50-60% more that in Sweden???

Yeah most likely filter coffee, but I'm not that much of an expert.  It does look a bit expensive, like a load of the ones I saw in John Lewis which is probably a bit high-end to start with.  There was one for a grand FFS, surely it doesn't make that much difference. 

I've got a Jura superautomatic.  Push a button and it grinds the beans and brews a great espresso.  Froths the milk with minimal hassle too.   It cost a pretty penny but it'll pay for itself within a couple of years in avoided purchases of latte's at Starbucks.   Plus, now I won't have to go in there and say "grande" or "venti" and give them my name.

3 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I'm a coffee drinker now. Used to hate the stuff but it's all I drink now. Rarely have tea these days.

I pretty much never ever drink tea at home,  only coffee but at work I will drink 3 - 4 cups of tea daily. 

2 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Got a phone call off the wife the other day. my lad was playing my music and I asked what he had on, it was soundgarden. Apparently mums music is crap, well that's what he told his mum :) wonder who told him that.

It's a universal rule that dads music is always better than mums.  This is almost certainly enhanced by the absence of Take That etc etc etc 

3 hours ago, il_serpente said:

I've got a Jura superautomatic.  Push a button and it grinds the beans and brews a great espresso.  Froths the milk with minimal hassle too.   It cost a pretty penny but it'll pay for itself within a couple of years in avoided purchases of latte's at Starbucks.   Plus, now I won't have to go in there and say "grande" or "venti" and give them my name.

I've got a jar of nescafe original can't stand that ridiculous gold blend nonsense. 

3 hours ago, sidcow said:

It's a universal rule that dads music is always better than mums.  This is almost certainly enhanced by the absence of Take That etc etc etc 

When I was younger, I liked my Mom's records better. She had Led Zep, and The Beatles. My Dad had ELO, and Yes. 

3 hours ago, dAVe80 said:

When I was younger, I liked my Mom's records better. She had Led Zep, and The Beatles. My Dad had ELO, and Yes. 

All good, in their way. My kids would probably go with my choices over Mrs M's, but not much in it. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

All good, in their way. My kids would probably go with my choices over Mrs M's, but not much in it. 

Even though he's a nose, I've got a lot of admiration for Jeff Lynne, although I'm still not a massive ELO fan. Rick Wakeman seems like a top bloke, and I enjoy some of his other work, but I can't stomach Yes. 

Edited: Realised I spelled Lynne wrong, and don't want to get a telling off again! ;)

Edited by dAVe80

Â