Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

Just under 10 millimetres of snow this morning. Which meant I had almost the entirety of the M4 to myself. It was cleared and gritted and everyone else stayed home.

It was like the wonder days of lockdown all over again. Home 2 hours early. Bliss.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

It was cleared and gritted and everyone else stayed home.

On Tuesday the Netherlands had some rain and it was quite windy in the morning,  nothing to even worry about: Over 1,100 KM of traffic jams in a tiny country (A record so far this year)
They live in a flat country but they can't drive very well and all drive really close on the motorways in rush hour.  

• Like 1

More twitching ;)

Another new bird has appeared in the garden/wooded area, took us a while to work out what it was as my Book of Birds had it looking totally different.

spacer.png

spacer.png

it's a Brambling BTW.

The snow made it pretty hectic at the feeders and on the floor.

spacer.png

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

More twitching ;)

Another new bird has appeared in the garden/wooded area, took us a while to work out what it was as my Book of Birds had it looking totally different.

spacer.png

spacer.png

it's a Brambling BTW.

The snow made it pretty hectic at the feeders and on the floor.

spacer.png

There's an app for bird identifying, even does it from a sound recording as well as a photo

Not got my phone to hand but its done by some US university, Cornell manybe

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, bickster said:

There's an app for bird identifying, even does it from a sound recording as well as a photo

Not got my phone to hand but its done by some US university, Cornell maybe

I have it too, and it is indeed from Cornell Uni. The app is called Merlin. 

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, mjmooney said:

I have it too, and it is indeed from Cornell Uni. The app is called Merlin. 

Cool.   My wife went to law school at Cornell and when we were there for a reunion around 10 years ago I remember they were touting some work going on at the Ornithology Lab.   I think it was Merlin.

Â