Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

33 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

much like the ersatz mods that popped up in the wake of 'Quadrophenia'. 

Quadrophenia was not the catalyst for the Mod Revival, it was The Jam. All Mod Cons released 1978, Quadrophenia was 1979, its actually quite likely the Mod Revival (which pre-dated All Mon Cons the album) was the Catalyst for the film

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, bickster said:

Quadrophenia was not the catalyst for the Mod Revival, it was The Jam. All Mod Cons released 1978, Quadrophenia was 1979, its actually quite likely the Mod Revival (which pre-dated All Mon Cons the album) was the Catalyst for the film

Yeah, agreed. I was going to mention The Jam, but cba, basically. 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, bickster said:

It absolutely was a quick cash in, in what was already there.

Have a look at the kids fighting on the prom, they weren’t doling out parkas and polo shirts and two tone trousers from the props department.

I’ll raise your All Mod Cons with ‘This Is The Modern World’ , 1977

Album had a swear word in it, so was an instant fave.

spacer.png

• Like 1

15 hours ago, bickster said:

Yep and there's still a few about. It all got a bit confused with Rockabilly at one point, then that kind of went more punky and became psychobilly

And then it got very exaggerated and became hyperbilly.

• Haha 2

Just now, bickster said:

You take the wrong drugs

Funny you say that. I've also put my hatred; or rather everyone else's love; of Bob Marley down to the fact I never did mary jane. And I've pretty much had that reason confirmed to me by people who do love him.

• Thanks 1

Just now, BOF said:

Funny you say that. I've also put my hatred; or rather everyone else's love; of Bob Marley down to the fact I never did mary jane. And I've pretty much had that reason confirmed to me by people who do love him.

Done PLENTY of that in my past, must have been stoned for an entire decade. Bob Marley is not high on my list of artists I like. I appreciate what he did for the genre and his story is fascinating but I just never listen to him apart from early pre-reggae, just The Wailers stuff. He's also wrapped up in the history of Lee Scratch Perry who is probably my favourite artist  and second favourite producer of the genre and its still the stuff I don't play..

Essentially Bob Marley is for all the people who don't really know reggae. He was a pioneer but its all a bit meh for me

• Like 2

Just now, bickster said:

Never Trust a Hippy

Thats fair. I thought if ever I was famous someone in Newcastle has a picture of me having a whitey with a copy of Pink Floyds the wall in one hand and a ridiculous long spliff in the other. Thankfully for me I never got famous. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

In my days of jazz cigarettes I never once thought, pop some reggae on. It was always someone like early Fleetwood Mac. 

Santana for me. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, bickster said:

Essentially Bob Marley is for all the people who don't really know reggae. He was a pioneer but its all a bit meh for me

Well, you say that, and I must admit that I had always assumed that most Jamaicans would regard Marley as too commercial, stuff mainly for whitey. But actually, the (admittedly small) sample of my West Indian acquaintances all love him. Maybe it's a generational thing? Paging @JAMAICAN-VILLAN... 

5 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Well, you say that, and I must admit that I had always assumed that most Jamaicans would regard Marley as too commercial, stuff mainly for whitey. But actually, the (admittedly small) sample of my West Indian acquaintances all love him. Maybe it's a generational thing? Paging @JAMAICAN-VILLAN... 

Yeah and in a way it's why I brought up the 'best song in least favourite genre' question. I fully expect that I know very little about a genre that I don't like, and even an artist as popular as Marley.  It's a bit like what you (I think it was you) said about Bruce Springsteen.  That the populist stuff everyone knows about is probably the worst stuff in his back catalogue. I find that kind of thing interesting to hear, and I don't doubt it's true, as subjective as that is. I probably won't be investigating it any time soon though in both examples.

Â