Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

6 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Well, you say that, and I must admit that I had always assumed that most Jamaicans would regard Marley as too commercial, stuff mainly for whitey. But actually, the (admittedly small) sample of my West Indian acquaintances all love him. Maybe it's a generational thing?

No they generally do, I agree

45 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

In my days of jazz cigarettes I never once thought, pop some reggae on. It was always someone like early Fleetwood Mac. 

In my (admittedly limited) experience, edibles + the music you like = curling up in the fetal position, sobbing.

In a good way, that is.  Fantastic way, even.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Well I’m glad during the discussion in which reggae has appeared frequently, someone has mentioned Bob Marley. I was beginning to wonder if he didn’t count as reggae for a reason only known to VT. 

Nobody on VT has heard of him, is he new?

36 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Well, you say that, and I must admit that I had always assumed that most Jamaicans would regard Marley as too commercial, stuff mainly for whitey. But actually, the (admittedly small) sample of my West Indian acquaintances all love him. Maybe it's a generational thing? Paging @JAMAICAN-VILLAN... 

I went to Jamaica in about 2008, it was wall to wall reggae and 90% Bob Marley.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Genie said:

I went to Jamaica in about 2008, it was wall to wall reggae and 90% Bob Marley.

Did you just stay on the beaten track?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, BOF said:

Funny you say that. I've also put my hatred; or rather everyone else's love; of Bob Marley down to the fact I never did mary jane. And I've pretty much had that reason confirmed to me by people who do love him.

I think there’s a pretty clear correlation 🤣

• Like 1

Never done drugs myself ( unless you count my Amyl nitrite sniffing with Zammo McGuire and Pogo Patterson in a nightclub toilet one time ... the opportunity of sniffing it with the pair of them whilst we all sung "just say no"  , was too great to miss, so I went for it :)  )

But , i quite often used to get off the train from a Villa match and call in at my mates house , to find them all spaced out in the living room listening to music , with a sheet of tin foil with holes punched in it over the TV screen , giving a pretty cool light show  ..Think they were doing ecstasy, but it could easily have been other stuff   ...  either way it just didn't appeal to me, so I just used to grab a beer out the fridge and stare at the light show with the rest of them :)

Edited by tonyh29
  • Haha 1

Managed to get me and the wife's name on a brick at the California Landmark 1041.

Just need to go see it in person now 😁

BTW google it if you don't know,you won't be surprised 😉

• Like 4

5 hours ago, rjw63 said:

Managed to get me and the wife's name on a brick at the California Landmark 1041.

Just need to go see it in person now 😁

BTW google it if you don't know,you won't be surprised 😉

Thats fantastic. Genuinely happy for you. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BOF said:

Eurythmics version of Whiter Shade of Pale is actually superb. 

Strange coincidence. I was screen casting a YouTube vid to the TV yesterday. Not something I do very often, but I wanted the missus to hear a particular song. Anyway, I then just started randomly clicking on some of the suggestions underneath. One was Procol Harum doing AWSOP with an orchestra in 2004. It was pretty good. Underneath that was a link to an Annie Lennox version of the song. I thought "Wonder what that's like?... Nah" and switched it off. May have to go back to it. 

Edited by mjmooney

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

I could only find a solo Annie Lennox version

Ill be honest , I hated it 

Well, I checked it out. And I'm halfway between @BOF and @tonyh29 - it's an excellent vocal, but (predictably) I hated the clicky electronic backing. 

• Like 1

Â