The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

9 minutes ago, tinker said:

He's not good enough for Spurs ATM, needs another year to get game time.

He's had half a good season in the Championship and one decent game at Wembley a few years back.

Not really enough to command the sort of transfer fee that would make Villa fans feel he hadn't gone on the cheap.

I hope the new owners understand what he means to the fans because even £40m could be nothing compared to Jack's worth to the club on and off the pitch if he stays. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

The only one on that list you could say isn’t le tisser. The rest were already at successful clubs. Giggs wouldn’t have stayed at united if they were in them championship and a top premier league club came in.

Bigger clubs than United cam knocking for Scholes and Giggs where they would have won more Champions league medals. They didn't go, they didn't follow the money which is the point here. If he goes to Spurs they aren't suddenly going to be up there winning the league every year, there's a gulf in class between us and Spurs which dwarves the gulf in class between the consistently successful big european clubs when they were after Giggs, but the point still holds.

As for hte point about no-one turning down £60k when on £30k here, I disagree. Lots of quite sane people over a certain level the cash would not make a difference to their life. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Haha answered as a villa fan and not a realist.  As if your going to turn down a offer of 60 or 70k a week as opposed 20k here.

Let's be real here.

Spoken like the Villa fan that, wait, Jack also is.

He can go and earn 60k or 70k in January. Or next summer. 

Fo'real.

Edited by Don_Simon
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Bigger clubs than United cam knocking for Scholes and Giggs where they would have won more Champions league medals. They didn't go, they didn't follow the money which is the point here. If he goes to Spurs they aren't suddenly going to be up there winning the league every year, there's a gulf in class between us and Spurs which dwarves the gulf in class between the consistently successful big european clubs when they were after Giggs, but the point still holds.

As for hte point about no-one turning down £60k when on £30k here, I disagree. Lots of quite sane people over a certain level the cash would not make a difference to their life. 

I don't see how you can compare the two situations, giggs and Scholes were both playing for the biggest club in England and id imagine on a very decent wage under a regime they've had since they were all brought in as youth players which had seen them win a treble! If they stayed at utd they would have still won trophies, which obviously as we know happened. If grealish stays with us there is no garuentee of us winning anything. 

1 hour ago, Fight Like Lions said:

Surely if he now stays we are going to have to offer him an improved contract, not least because Spurs are prepared to treble his earnings but if he doesn’t go this summer then he will be off for peanuts next summer? 

I hope he stays but I can’t see it now, if Spurs offer £30m next week then he’ll be off.

Spurs dont pay big wages, its why Alderweireld wants out. They had to finally burst it open for Kane

42 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

The only one on that list you could say isn’t le tisser. The rest were already at successful clubs. Giggs wouldn’t have stayed at united if they were in them championship and a top premier league club came in.

Steve Bull never played a top flight game in his career because of his love of playing for Wolves. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, holteend1982 said:

I don't see how you can compare the two situations, giggs and Scholes were both playing for the biggest club in England and id imagine on a very decent wage under a regime they've had since they were all brought in as youth players which had seen them win a treble! If they stayed at utd they would have still won trophies, which obviously as we know happened. If grealish stays with us there is no garuentee of us winning anything. 

The original list was a lot bigger and there are more, it's not a direct comparison, they are all supporting arguments that in the face of financial temptation and the promise of more silverware players have stayed loyal. Yes most of the list were at big clubs, but you can't say united in 99-2000 were on a par with Real, Barcelona, Juventus, Milan etc. because you would have to be massively one eyed and UK centric (there's a lot of it about I know but still). The general point is bigger clubs, more money, regardless of the starting point...

Anyway, let's hope Jack has a great season wearing claret and blue and we go up.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

Steve Bull never played a top flight game in his career because of his love of playing for Wolves. 

How did I not put Bull in the original list. He had big offers every summer for a good few years, not just from UK either.

I think something which will come into play here is what vision of the future the new owners can sell him. 

If they really do have big ambitions he might well want to stay along for the ride. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I think something which will come into play here is what vision of the future the new owners can sell him. 

If they really do have big ambitions he might well want to stay along for the ride. 

Totally. Had we gone up we would have lost Jack after one season, not being able to match wages, with the new guys anything is possible.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Even though he grew up a Liverpool fan and played for Albion first.

Villa is already in Jack’s blood so he has even more of an affinity.

10 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Yep. As I said before we if do not have to sell. Then he needs to sit down with the new owners before he makes any decisions.

edit: if we’re really holding out for 40 million then he may not even have a decision to make. I can’t see Spurs breaking their transfer record for him. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

1 hour ago, romavillan said:

Were united successful or not in England under that time under one of the greatest managers of all time or were they lurking in a league below? The situation is completely different.

38 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Did Manchester United or Liverpool ever even come in for him?? No point mentioning random names unless there is evidence to suggest he turned down massive clubs to stay at wolves. Also I would like to point our the days of steve bull to current day is completely different to today. Money has made the game go absolutely crazy. There is little to no loyalty from players or managers these days

1 hour ago, romavillan said:

Totti, Di Rossi, Maldini, Carragher, Giggs, Puyol, Scholes, Adams, Le Tissier....

Sometimes it's not about the money. Scholes didn't even have an agent FFS, he just walked in and signed whatever was on the table and went back to training. Pretty much all of that list at their peak could have walked into almost any side in the world apart from Adams and Carragher. Totti turned down going to play with Figo, Zidane, Raul tc. in one of the best sides of all time on stupid money and whilst Roma have been there or thereabouts a few times in his career there have always been stronger sids in Italy let alone the rest of europe whilst he played. 

It DOES happen they aren't all just mercenary words removed.

Aside from Le Tissier, all at top clubs.  May not have won as much as they could have done, but hardly a case of being an absolute star in an average team. 

13 minutes ago, Fight Like Lions said:

Jack is on £25k/week currently, he will easily get £60-70k at Spurs so if he stays we are going to have improve his current deal. 

Is he? One of the papers linking him to Spurs suggested he’d be offered a payrise to a £20k/week deal. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Fight Like Lions said:

Jack is on £25k/week currently, he will easily get £60-70k at Spurs so if he stays we are going to have improve his current deal. 

Assuming we can get around ffp and not sell him, I don't think it's beyond the club to offer him a contract of 35-40k with a view to increase it in the event of promotion.

32 minutes ago, Fight Like Lions said:

No way he'll be on 60/70k. Their star player Christian Eriksen only recently broke the 60k mark with them after all these years.

Alderweireld has been on something like 45k :crylaugh: 

Spurs have been hilariously underpaying (relative to the market) their players. If anything, I imagine Jack would see a decrease in his wages if he goes there.

• Like 1

Â