The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

Today he was on the ball and a Burton player came into him with some force very physical challenge but Jack stood up to it, kept on the ball and nearly player someone in on goal. 

Previously he would have gone to ground looking to the ref for a free kick. 

He is surrounded by good people now and he won't be indulged. He went down a few weeks ago and JT was immediately there telling him to get up and that we need him.

Snodgrass seems to have had a huge impact as he was off the bench to celebrate with Jack. 

If only he had this a few years ago. Maybe I have been harsh, maybe it wasn't easy for him in such a trash enviroment surrounded by trash people.

• Like 3

I've been a big critic of Jack's but he was fantastic today. 

The biggest change for me has been his work rate. He has always had ability but in seasons gone by he seemed to be a bit of a show pony, he'd lose the ball when a silly flick didn't come off and then just stand their expecting everyone else to graft and win the ball back.

Over the last few months his work rate has got a lot better. Today, when he lost the ball he rans he bollocks off to win it back. Whilst I'm not comparing them in terms of quality, he reminds me a little bit of Hazard's time in England pre Jose. He has gone from a skilful 'highlights player' to someone that can grab a game by the scruff of its neck. 

Another criticism I've had of Jack in the past is what i call the Arsenal syndrome. Wanting to walk the ball into the net rather than shooting when an opportunity presents itself. It's still an area that i think he needs to work on, but at least he is now shooting more regularly. 

Delighted he now seems to be fulfilling his potential. 

John Terry has played with a lot of talented players and thought I'd put his Instagram photo in here. Stating that Jack is a real talent and is working so hard ON AND OFF the pitch. 

Real credit to Jack, lovely to see he is working hard off the pitch because we can all see the benefits on it. Just hope Terry isn't working as a scout for Chelsea! 

• Like 4

I think Jack is realising that talent gets you nowhere unless it's aligned with hard work. 

It maybe coincidence but i think having seasoned pros like Snodgrass and JT around the place has helped to ram that fact home. 

I've also noticed over the last few games that Jack is making a point of being the last person to come and acknowledge the fans once everyone else is making their way off the pitch. Its like he has embraced the fact that he is a talisman and is embracing, and revelling in that fact. 

1 hour ago, av1 said:

The biggest change for me has been his work rate. He has always had ability but in seasons gone by he seemed to be a bit of a show pony, he'd lose the ball when a silly flick didn't come off and then just stand their expecting everyone else to graft and win the ball back.

Not sure about the part regarding his work rate. I've seen that here and there that he has changed and runs more now. As I remember when Sherwood gave him a run in the side Jack regularly ran the most or among the most (don't remember the source though, probably one of those random statistics). 

2 minutes ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

Not sure about the part regarding his work rate. I've seen that here and there that he has changed and runs more now. As I remember when Sherwood gave him a run in the side Jack regularly ran the most or among the most (don't remember the source though, probably one of those random statistics). 

Not seen the stat mate so I'll take your word for it. But today i saw him running back 30/40 yards to try and win the ball back. I've not saw that in his game over the the last few seasons. 

I don't mean to put a downer on things but it probably does help that he is playing against Championship opposition and he is arguably a Premier league quality player.  We were playing what is probably a league 1 team today so I would expect him to stand out. 

He will never get the same time and space against better players but at the same time he would excel with even better players around him. 

Yes I agree he seems to contribute more defensively. For me it looks like the biggest changes are that he has built a bit more muscles, doesn't fall over as easily and that he is playing more direct than before. Probably players like Terry and Snodgrass has had a positive affect on him as well.

I'd love to see him and Onomah play in the two advanced midfield positions, looks like they understand each other well and likes playing together, like we saw on a couple of occations today.

I just can't praise Jack enough, it really is a joy to watch him! He may be the most gifted footballer I have seen us have, at least in terms of technique and ball control. Properly managed there is no limit to how good he can be. I think we should regard ourselves as very lucky that he hasn't yet been poached by one of the bigger clubs.

18 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I don't mean to put a downer on things but it probably does help that he is playing against Championship opposition and he is arguably a Premier league quality player.

I understand what you're saying, but if it was as simple as that Middlesbrough would be top of the league.

It's one thing having the extra quality, it's something else applying it - particularly with the level of consistency he's displaying at the moment.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, NurembergVillan said:

I understand what you're saying, but if it was as simple as that Middlesbrough would be top of the league.

It's one thing having the extra quality, it's something else applying it - particularly with the level of consistency he's displaying at the moment.

Fair point but isn't that an attribute that also makes you a Premier League quality player? To be able to apply that extra quality consistently? 

He looks like he has real belief in himself and it's growing each game. 

Out of interest who do you think is Premier League quality at Boro? 

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Fair point but isn't that an attribute that also makes you a Premier League quality player? To be able to apply that extra quality consistently? 

He looks like he has real belief in himself and it's growing each game. 

Out of interest who do you think is Premier League quality at Boro? 

I think being consistent at this level would make you Premier League quality, for sure, but being consistent in the Premier League starts putting you in the world class bracket.  There aren't many even in that division who would put in a minimum 8/10 performance every week.  The whole Man City team seems to, and that's what you get...

With Middlesbrough, they were a PL team last season and weren't relegated with 0 points so you'd expect them to be better than most teams in this league.  It's the consistency factor again though.

I think we're both saying the same sort of thing though, really.  You're saying (I think) that he's a good player so you'd expect him to perform like this every week, and I feel that playing like this every week is what makes him a good player.  It's 6 and two 3s really.

Bottom line is that he's a special talent, he's one of our own, and regardless of the opposition he's turning in performances that he and we can enjoy and be rightly proud of.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, av1 said:

I've also noticed over the last few games that Jack is making a point of being the last person to come and acknowledge the fans once everyone else is making their way off the pitch. Its like he has embraced the fact that he is a talisman and is embracing, and revelling in that fact. 

Nah...... He's just hugging the limelight:P

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Jack would never leave this club for a Stoke or even an Everton either. I'd say he's ours for as long as we want him.

Hope so. 

Think losing jack would hurt more than benteke, young, yorke, delph and barry combined 

• Like 2

Â