The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

12 hours ago, villalad21 said:

It's ridiculous to say he doesn't perform because Pep doesn't use him right.

True world class players like Gerrard, Zidane etc would be world class in any system and under any manager.

Gerrard even got moved to the wing at times under Rafa and still performed at the highest level.

The best players are intelligent and can adapt.

If Grealish can't make it under one of the greatest managers ever he was never as good as we thought he was. Just a decent player who stood out because of all the dross that was around him. Just a decent player. Nothing more nothing less.

He’s been there for half a season, let’s not write him off as a myth just yet.

It’s 100% a system that doesn’t play to his strengths that can’t be discounted, let alone branded as ridiculous.

It’s very well known for players to take time to adapt to Pep’s system - Bernardo Silva, Mahrez, Rodri and Cancelo and I’m sure many others all took quite some time to hit the levels they are playing at now. 

14 hours ago, Only2McInallys said:

I have been watching Villa for 50 years and their is no question he is the most talented player to play for us in that time.

Sorry, that accolade belongs to Paul McGrath.Closely followed by Brian Little.

7 minutes ago, meregreen said:

I remember McGrath as a player and yes he was amazing.

However as a youngster, going to the Villa regularly I was more impressed by Tony Daley, David Platt, Dwight Yorke. It was the flair players that impressed me most

I hate to say it but in my lifetime going to the Villa since '86 Greal-hiss was up there with best, pity he p***** his legend status away.

4 minutes ago, Pissflaps said:

He's never coming back

I think so too. Said before I dont think Gerrard would take him. Not for personality but now our players like quick one twos and Jack doesn't fit that 

4 hours ago, meregreen said:

Said before you have to consider the changes in availability of football and the ease at how it can be watched, there's a whole generation of villa fans who never saw those players and a lot more who if they were lucky enough to see them only saw them a handful of times, compare that to having probably 90% of Jack's games available via different sources 

I'm 37, I saw Mcgrath less than 5 times on TV, watched him more for Ireland, even players like Yorke or or Mellberg or Ashley Young I couldn't watch every game, grealish apart from some random cup and championship games I could and I usually did 

Comfortably the best player I've ever seen in c&b, honestly it's not even close 

I'd be genuinely interested how many time Brian Little played for villa on TV because I haven't got a clue what it was like back then 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I think so too. Said before I dont think Gerrard would take him. Not for personality but now our players like quick one twos and Jack doesn't fit that 

He has 7 years plus playing career, Gerrard will be gone in 3 seasons , he either gets us into Europe and then goes to lpool or doesn't and gets sacked. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, tinker said:

He has 7 years plus playing career, Gerrard will be gone in 3 seasons , he either gets us into Europe and then goes to lpool or doesn't and gets sacked. 

Yes and our structure is to bring in a manager with a similar style. 

As for Grealish, with his injuries and lifestyle then he will be lucky to be playing top flight at 30. Look at Wilshere

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Said before you have to consider the changes in availability of football and the ease at how it can be watched, there's a whole generation of villa fans who never saw those players and a lot more who if they were lucky enough to see them only saw them a handful of times, compare that to having probably 90% of Jack's games available via different sources 

I'm 37, I saw Mcgrath less than 5 times on TV, watched him more for Ireland, even players like Yorke or or Mellberg or Ashley Young I couldn't watch every game, grealish apart from some random cup and championship games I could and I usually did 

I'd be genuinely interested how many time Brian Little played for villa on TV because I haven't got a clue what it was like back then 

Very few, probably the most notable one was the second reply in 1977 League cup when he scored a braceI think he scored 13 goals in that tournament that season including a hat-trick in the semi-final reply against QPR. Believe the hype he walked on water , It’s a tragedy that more of him is not on film

• Thanks 1

Just now, Follyfoot said:

Very few, probably the most notable one was the second reply in 1977 League cup when he scored a braceI think he scored 13 goals in that tournament that season including a hat-trick in the semi-final reply against QPR. Believe the hype he walked on water , It’s a tragedy that more of him is not on film

I think he’s goal Manchester United in the FA Cup from about 35 yards is also on YouTube

2 hours ago, regular_john said:

I get the impression he's gone off to tick his career boxes by winning the league, cups, playing in CL etc. before coming home for the last few years of his career.

Why the hell would we want him back then…knackered and past it.  He’s not the type of player whose going to have a career at the top end long into his thirties given his injury history and off the field activities.  Also given where we are going we should be a consistent top 8 team by then so we wouldn’t be interested in him.  If he comes back as you say at the end of his career then NSWE has failed at this club over the coming years.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Not hard considering how crap we’ve been for 20 years, it’s not exactly a good bench mark

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Why the hell would we want him back then…knackered and past it.  He’s not the type of player whose going to have a career at the top end long into his thirties given his injury history and off the field activities.  Also given where we are going we should be a consistent top 8 team by then so we wouldn’t be interested in him.  If he comes back as you say at the end of his career then NSWE has failed at this club over the coming years.

We'll see. I've seen far too many false dawns down B6 to make any assumptions about where we may or may not be in X years time.

Maybe we'll be in a good place and he'll be nothing more than a squad player. Maybe it will have all gone tits up (again) and he'll be hailed as a prodigal son returning to get us out of the shit (again)

Â