The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

In the same way people still harp on about the choices made in 1966 like Greavsie being dropped, the formation etc being successful, if Southgate pulls it off on Sunday then for decades people will be talking the same way for him too.

The way he rotated the squad, the way he used Grealish as a difference maker etc etc. His decisions will go down in English football folklore. History is written by the winners as they say.

• Like 2

Just now, R.Bear said:

In the same way people still harp on about the choices made in 1966 like Greavsie being dropped, the formation etc being successful, if Southgate pulls it off on Sunday then for decades people will be talking the same way for him too.

The way he rotated the squad, the way he used Grealish as a difference maker etc etc. His decisions will go down in English football folklore. History is written by the winners as they say.

I agree he has played a borderline masterclass so far. It hasn't been entertaining for the most part, but it has been very effective. I also think it has been a result of a very lucky run of fixtures and poor performances from our opposition.

You could argue the Germany performance was so bad because we stifled them, but I think they just had an off day and we got lucky.

If he can win having only used Grealish and Foden sparingly it will be one of the greatest feats of football. I have a very strong expectation that Italy will offer a completely different challenge from anything we've faced so far.  Similar to Denmark in terms of their passing and pressing, but better...and with forwards that will threaten thrown in to boot.

I see his approach falling flat on its face, unless he comes up with another reinvention of the squad and picks yet another different team to handle Italy. 

Grealish could well be brought on to make the difference, but we just better hope we're not 2-0 down (or worse) by the time he's called upon

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, brommy said:

Back to school @John! 21+6+15+3 is 45 minutes on the pitch.

He was actually taking into account time dilation. Due to Grealish's enormous talent that is so large it has its own gravitational pull, the time he experiences is less than what everyone else on Earth does. Time literally running slower for more massive objects is a fact, just like the fact that man landed on the moon, for example.

Edited by Okonokos
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

You are correct "history is written by the winners", so let's hope Southgate does get to write about all this. I must say that I thought Jimmy Greaves should have started in the WCF, but Geoff got a hat-trick so that vindicated Sir Alf's decision, but would Greaves have done the same had he played instead? Pity there were no substitutes then, but had there been, what impact on the result would taking either player off for the other, have had on the final result? The answer is in the Twilight-Zone ;)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, brommy said:

Back to school @John! 21+6+15+3 is 45 minutes on the pitch.

I did say I was no mathematician and I proved that by missing the 3 minutes stoppage time after the first half of extra time. I was always prone to not taking the time to read the questions...:D 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

How old are you, for context?

Old enough to understand the basic concept that performance is more indicative of future results than current and past results. And we perform awfully. 

1 hour ago, Sulberto21 said:

Jack is a good presser of the ball. Someone posted stats regarding this further back in the thread before it became the Euro 2021 thread.

Normally yes but I do feel a lot of his pressing has been a bit Barkleyesque in the tournament.  Like I said last night, he clearly only looks 80% fit to me (if that) and Southgate will only use him when it's tight and the focus turns towards finding a bit of magic rather than the physical side of the game.  Sunday on paper looks like one of those matches so hopefully Jack will get his Gotze moment.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

No, but I don't support England, I support villa players. So I agree with his initial statement. 

Are you English?

If you are, and you agree with him " Not caring if they lost " after Jack came of... I have nothing more to add.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I can't link it but the athletic have done a piece on the substitution, absolutely hammers his defensive work and positioning 

I bet its that clown who has been having a go at Grealish all tournament, not sure of his name but he wears glasses and thinks he is a statto

Â