The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

sir_gary_cahill

2 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

We’re not improving quickly enough to keep him. 

Games like tonight are the reason he’ll end up leaving us. We need to have some serious ambition in the transfer market if we’re to keep him I’m afraid. That involves signing a decent forward player to play alongside him and Barkley. 

yes 

My reasoning that he shouldn't play in midfield because he's better out wide, not only better but one of the players in the league in that positon, and we're better as a team when he plays there, really isn't faulty logic, in fact it's about as logical as you can get and pretty sure it's the logic that Dean Smith has been using in putting Grealish on the left for each of our last ten games, and will most likely continue to use for as long as Grealish is a Villa player.

Edited by useless

3 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

It's possible for these two things to be true:

1. Grealish is best wide left.
  2. Playing him centrally was the right decision tonight.

Also I think point 2 means he's best wherever the manager thinks he'll be depending on the game/opponent/circumstances. 

I prefer him in the middle. El Ghazi and Traore had soooo many chances because of that. Playing him on the left gives him less space and easier to defend against as you can try to push him down the touchline as the 3rd player. 

He'll be back left wing when Barkley is back though. 

I thought he was immense last night, some touches, bits of skill and bursts of pace were next level even by his own high standards.

It wasn't a perfect game as he still missed a great chance (one which he made entirely by himself let's not forget) and made the wrong decision once by passing to Anwar instead of shooting, yet he still should've finished the game with a few assists.

9/10 but with aspects of his game still improving. Scarily good.

No crowd is meaning he gets less protection. That Mee foul in the first half is a yellow every day of the week. He's normalised getting clobbered.

Absolutely magnificent last night. He's normalised that as well.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

I thought he was immense last night, some touches, bits of skill and bursts of pace were next level even by his own high standards.

It wasn't a perfect game as he still missed a great chance (one which he made entirely by himself let's not forget) and made the wrong decision once by passing to Anwar instead of shooting, yet he still should've finished the game with a few assists.

9/10 but with aspects of his game still improving. Scarily good.

By his standards, certainly not a 9/10 performance if he doesn't either create or score a goal IMO. 

4 minutes ago, lexicon said:

By his standards, certainly not a 9/10 performance if he doesn't either create or score a goal IMO. 

tenor.gif?itemid=15076479

Fair enough, but what if it was, say, me, on the pitch instead of even AEG. Jack could play a perfect game without getting a scoring chance himself but putting 20 on a plate and still not get an assist.

Edited by fightoffyour
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Jack can play anywhere and be class. I think Targett struggled without Jack in front of him. They have built a very good understanding. 

Last night was the best ive seen him in the middle.

Makes me believe, like others have said, we should/could go after a top class winger for the left and move him inward.

The problem in the past with him in the middle is that he was suffocated.

Now with more threats all over the pitch he could shine.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Makes me believe, like others have said, we should/could go after a top class winger for the left and move him inward.

I think with Barkley coming back, Grealish will move to the left.
Let's say we don't sign Barkley in the summer and Jack stays. The club have to make a decision on whether to buy two quality wingers and play him in the middle or another Barkley type player and play him on the left.

As mentioned, as long as he's on the pitch, I don't care, i just wish we had players who could finish around him as we'd be scarily good..

• Like 2

2 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

tenor.gif?itemid=15076479

Fair enough, but what if it was, say, me, on the pitch instead of even AEG. Jack could play a perfect game without getting a scoring chance himself but putting 20 on a plate and still not get an assist.

But that would be a different performance level - he didn't dish up that many great chances IIRC, just the AEG one from memory (might be wrong). It was a 7 for me. 

2 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Depends what happens with Barkley, I guess. 

• Like 1

Â