The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

sir_gary_cahill

Just now, useless said:

Our record in the premier league with him playing in midfield is very poor, just play him on the left where he's at his best.

You know there's a million other factors that affect football matches apart from 1 player playing in a certain position.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, useless said:

Our record in the premier league with him playing in midfield is very poor, just play him on the left where he's at his best.

I trust Smith but I would have liked to have seen him bring another midfielder on and put Jack on the left. I think Target massively suffered as well today without Jack in front of him. 

• Like 1

Jack was great today and put chances on a plate for players around him. But let’s not kid ourselves that he didn’t have a few great chances himself today. If he is this world beater we all know he can be it’s games like this he smashes the winner in for us to win 1-0.  How Mahrez used to for Leicester.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 3

Well I know for a fact that Grealish is nowhere as effective in midfield and we always perform better as a team when he's out wide. Every time I see us lining up with him in midfield it feels like our chances of winning decrease massively.

Edited by useless
  • Like 2

I think Smith obviously prefers him out wide and today was just a one off brought about by a combination of our injuries and the system that Burnley play. Although I still would have left Grealish out left, and played Jacob Ramsey in midfield.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, useless said:

Well I know for a fact that Grealish is nowhere as effective in midfield and we always perform better as a team when he's out wide. Every time I see us lining up with him in midfield it feels like our chances of winning decrease massively.

He created 6 chances today, the most he created all season. Even more than against Liverpool and West Ham (5). He was plenty effective. Don't think he was the limiting factor here.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

That’s the funny thing, right. If you played Grealish wide right, he’d have amazing stats and everyone would be saying he’s a right winger.

I see him as a #10 who’s so good that he can play on the left and be amazing at it.

When England played Belgium, he ran the show from the middle, picking up pockets of space and turning and running at players. 

If we had one decent wide player, I think he’d register more goals and assists as a 10 than he would on the left. 

Either way, we’re lucky to have him and ultimately, as long as he’s on the pitch, I don’t care! 

That's exactly it. And he's been played there because our wingers have been so out of form + our midfield wasn't strong enough to accommodate him yet. 

Today against Burnley neither were an issue and he flourished. He was devastating. If both he and El Ghazi improved their finishing he'd probably be sitting on 2 assists and 2 goals today.

• Like 1

Today's one game, he's earned his current reputation as one of the best players in the premier league as left winger, more often than not when he plays in central midfield he's nowhere near as affective. Why people think he should play centrally over playing on the left is beyond me, there's nothing whatsoever to suggest that he's better in the middle than he is out wide, he's potentially the best left winger in the premier league, and thankfully that's the way Smith sees it as well as evidenced by the fact that that's where he mostly plays him.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

That's exactly it. And he's been played there because our wingers have been so out of form + our midfield wasn't strong enough to accommodate him yet. 

Today against Burnley neither were an issue and he flourished. He was devastating. If both he and El Ghazi improved their finishing he'd probably be sitting on 2 assists and 2 goals today.

Agreed and ultimately, I don’t care if he plays on the left, that’s absolutely fine because he’s a wonderful player, but I personally think he would be unstoppable as a #10 with two decent wingers either side of him. 

The Grealish on the left thing came about because we were so toothless in attack out wide and we needed someone who could create something further up the pitch. He will now stay out wide because Barkley is here and he kind of has to play the AMC role. 

FWIW, I don’t think a top side would play him on the left. They’d have wingers good enough to allow him to run the game and assist multiple chances. 

Like I say, in the middle, on the left, on the right. Doesn’t matter. He’s unreal and the best player we’ve probably ever had. 

He played centrally due to the injury and suspension, full squad and he's back out wide

Not just because of his best position but because of it being our best possible 11, is what it is

You can then make an analysis of space Jack has vs a RB and the DMC or RCB drifting over to double up on him rather than in the middle where you can smother him but honestly I think he's now playing at that high a level it doesn't matter 

Also Grealish isn't playing on the wing because we have no one better, he's playing on the wing because that's his best positon by far. If it was the case that he was only playing wide because our only other options are El Ghazi and Trezeguet, then instead of signing Barkley in the summer we would have signed another winger to allow Grealish to move centrally, but of course we didn't because we're happy with Grealish out wide, and why one earth would we not be.

• Like 1

Today's one game, he's earned his current reputation as one of the best players in the premier league as left winger, more often than not when he plays in central midfield he's nowhere near as affective. Why people think he should play centrally over playing on the left is beyond me, there's nothing whatsoever to suggest that he's better in the middle than he is out wide, he's potentially the best left winger in the premier league, and thankfully that's the way Smith sees it as well as evidenced by the fact that that's where he mostly plays him.

Huh? You're the one who implied we failed to win this "one game" because he played centrally and [correlation = causation].

Nobody's calling for him to play in position X or Y. He's a generational talent that is amazing regardless of where he plays. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, useless said:

This is what I said, that's got nothing to do with 'one game' it's looking at his record in midfield over a series of games, compared to his record as a left winger, when he plays in midfield we're at a disadvantage compared to when he plays on the left, saying 'correlation causation' repeatedly doesn't do anything to disprove that, sometimes you just have to accept we're more likely to win games with certain players playing in certain positions.

Also Grealish might be very good wherever he plays, but that doesn't mean to say he hasn't got a best position, a position where he's most affective and as consequence position where we're more likely to win if we play him there, that position being on the left wing.

3 minutes ago, useless said:

This is what I said, that's got nothing to do with 'one game' it's looking at his record in midfield over a series of games, compared to his record as a left winger, when he plays in midfield we're at a disadvantage compared to when he plays on the left, saying 'correlation causation' repeatedly doesn't do anything to disprove that, sometimes you just have to accept we're more likely to win games with certain players playing in certain positions.

Also Grealish might be very good wherever he plays, but that doesn't mean to say he hasn't got a best position, a position where he's most affective and as consequence position where we're more likely to win if we play him there, that position being on the left wing.

Yeah but realistically, if Grealish had played on the left tonight, it would have been much the same game. The problem is we're missing Barkley and Douglas Luiz who are both very good at unlocking teams. I don't know why you're so fixated on where Grealish played tonight.

What's the point of bringing it up after he had one of his best games of the season in that position?

Your reasoning for why he shouldn't play in midfield is because our record is poorer when he does. In a game as complicated as football that's just faulty logic, sorry.

Â