The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

Has elevated the standard.

Being a great player means you have to be better Jacko. It'll come.

Fear for us looking this toothless though.

Obviously mugs all over will lay the blame at Grealish's door for others playing badly, or Villa not winning. He's the star. He's the only player some have heard of.

2 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Worst player on the pitch today by some distance. For some reason he's protected from criticism.  When he gets praised endlessly for being good, he deserves to hear the other end of the scale when he's bad. Absolute dog shit today. Woeful possession losses and poor passing initially, then he faded and did sweet **** all for rest of the match. 100 k p/w looking like a championship player. 

Massively disagree with this. Of course Jack has bad games, but the idea that he was "absolute dog shit" today!? You're too intelligent for that conclusion.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

I can;

McGinn - His touch was awful today and showed that despite his other qualities, his technical ability is not quite Premier League standard in my opinion. Was a good presence but lost the ball far too much with poor touches and running into trouble.

Elmo - A touch of Hutton syndrome today. Got forward well but was mostly rubbish with his crosses, although more because they had no pace rather than all going in row z.

Heaton - Not much to do, but the mistake for the penalty was **** stupid. Perhaps one of the worst mistakes I've seen from a Villa player in recent years. Until the second goal...

Wesley - Didn't get great service, but was a bit ineffectual himself.

Trezeguet - Had some really poor movement at times and I felt he held on the ball for far too long only to pass back to Elmo a bit too much. He also failed to beat the full back quite a lot too when he did try to take them on.

El Ghazi - A couple decent crosses in the first half but a bit anonymous overall. Although I do wonder how much poor overlapping plays apart in his and Trezeguet's poor game.

So there's 6. And there's probably arguments for Douglas Luiz, Taylor, Jota and Davis too. Perhaps harsh on Davis as he wasn't on for long though. Then bear in mind Grealish created 6 chances, won a load of free kicks, got an assist and could have scored himself.

All this isn't to write these guys off, I thought we were unlucky to lose, but quite a few players were worse than Grealish today and didn't play well.

The manager thought he was our driving force today?.....amazing how opinions differ.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

The manager thought he was our driving force today?.....amazing how opinions differ.

The manager is also persisting with Neil Taylor.

We're all wrong sometimes ;)

10 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

The manager is also persisting with Neil Taylor.

We're all wrong sometimes ;)

I didn't think he played badly today....just didn't overlap or attack in any form, just safety first.

16 minutes ago, TRO said:

I didn't think he played badly today....just didn't overlap or attack in any form, just safety first.

Not interested in that. Go and sit out if you're scared to get on the ball, scared to cross, scared to fail. 

If Targett is worse than him, and we play either LB in back 4 we're going down.

If he wish to do well for Villa in Premiership he needs to look & maybe even learn from the current established English crops eg the Maddison / Ali / Henderson etc, see how they effect the game. 

So far it seemed somethings holding him back  , playing with fear. Small fish in big pond syndrome perhaps . Hope Smith /Terry can help him

3 minutes ago, ROTTERDAM1982 said:

Massive over reaction to Sir Jack.

Just watched the game again, ball to El Ghazi in 1st half, constantly probing, playing forward balls, looking to hurt the opposition, not always taking the easy option, but always wanting the ball. We are a much better team with him in it, and we should appreciate him whilst he is here.

We would have won that game yday if Heaton wouldn't have done such a stupid challenge, leave the best player we have produced in the last 30 years alone.

Yes, anyone criticising Jack is just plain wrong.  Watch the half hour sky highlights, he was at the centre of everything as usual and we were all over Bournmouth. 

Some people are just not happy unless they are moaning about things. Jack has been just fine and dandy. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

When he's bossing games, influential in build up and earning us a grip and even an advantage on a game, he's not getting enough goals or assists for some.

When he's, for whatever reason, unable to raise bums out of seats for one match, yet provides an assist and puts in the most tackles from any of our players, he's inadequate.

There's no two ways about it, Grealish is Premier League standard, and has been thus far in the infancy of this campaign, and I'm sure will be for the remainder.

This season, avg per game, he has a 86% pass completion rate, 3 tackles, plays 4 key passes (3rd in the LEAGUE), is fouled 3.5 times (4th in the LEAGUE). He's top class.

Thankfully most appreciate him.

Worth requoting as it’s such a good appraisal.

FWIW it seems to me that a player like Jack, who plays at the very fine margins of when, and to whom, to release the ball, has to be really sharp mentally. 

A guy who’s game is much more about physicality ( for example) is affected less by his mental condition.

Jack came back from injury to propel this Club from 13th in the Championship to the Premier League.

His goal to get the Win at Rotherham was testament to the way he literally forced us upwards.

At the top of sport an incredible achievement is often followed by a psychological dip. It only has to be a percentage point or two.

I suspect his so- called “ poor” performances are as a result of nothing more than these factors.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Not interested in that. Go and sit out if you're scared to get on the ball, scared to cross, scared to fail. 

If Targett is worse than him, and we play either LB in back 4 we're going down.

Targett was not a player I would have signed but hey Ho......need to see him play.

I think Dean is trying to play initially with as many as he can from Last season, to creates stability......but not all things you do work.

Ideally, we need a Kyle Walker type pacy who can double as a winger and free up another industrious player in the middle.

Edited by TRO

Disappointed yesterday. It's his own fault.

Jack has set my expectations high when he's on the ball. Just like when platt or Yorke got on the ball in a 1 on 1, you expect them to beat the keeper and score, it felt like someone was cheating if they didn't.

3 or 4 aimless passes yesterday is all it took for me to think he is not up to speed yet. Why ? Because I'm not use to seeing it from him. That stuck in my head far more than anything else he did because it was so un grealish.

He shouldn't be dropping as deep now we have luiz playing that role but he still wants to be involved in everything and try and drive us forwards but midfielders are quicker and fitter in this league which is why if he stays slightly further forwards it puts their players in the mindset of not going forwards and leaving him.

1 hour ago, terrytini said:

Worth requoting as it’s such a good appraisal.

FWIW it seems to me that a player like Jack, who plays at the very fine margins of when, and to whom, to release the ball, has to be really sharp mentally. 

A guy who’s game is much more about physicality ( for example) is affected less by his mental condition.

Jack came back from injury to propel this Club from 13th in the Championship to the Premier League.

His goal to get the Win at Rotherham was testament to the way he literally forced us upwards.

At the top of sport an incredible achievement is often followed by a psychological dip. It only has to be a percentage point or two.

I suspect his so- called “ poor” performances are as a result of nothing more than these factors.

Absolutely. That ability to focus is so important, there's no time for distractions.

Add the fact that as ability is malleable, you must practise regularly to produce the goods when dealing with such fine margins, you have to refine your technique.

But no two moments are the same, so it takes some ingenuity to take an idea from one moment and apply it in a completely different one. It's tough.

The sharpness of mind you mention in any given moment on a football pitch is developed through concentrated effort and the application of functional technique.

That's the recipe for proficiency. Repetition in order to hone a technique is a must, even a prodigy must apply themself to realise talent. Potential is abstract.

But possibly the biggest test in mastering a craft is your ability to wake up day in day out, year after year and aspire to be better than you were yesterday.

"You may not always be motivated, that's why you must learn discipline."

Massive digression but Jack's had a lot to take in, at a young age. The move to Tottenham would've been a thought process he needed to come good with as well.

Eh, I've said my bit. Enjoy Grealish while he's here. Or take him for granted, it's really your prerogative. He's a special player.

Â