The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

Does anyone else find it strange that Jack is allowed by the club to wear such small shin pads and his socks so low? I know he’s always done it but he’s our prized asset, we’re paying x amount per week and we’ve seen how much his presence impacts the club. The amount of times he gets fouled you’d think he’d be more likely to get injured, his latest injury was a impact shin injury. It could potentially cost us millions if god forbid he got badly injured by either going up or selling him on? I saw Petrov write a comment on his post earlier saying pull your socks up which made me think about this. By the laws of the game you have to wear them so you could argue it’s the same as wearing PPE at work, I wouldn’t be allowed on site without a hard hat? Anyway not to be downbeat he’s still amazing and matured so much lately maybe he will decide to pull them up himself.

Edited by Hobbit Feet
  • Like 3

the psychological effect he has on our squad cant be underestimated reminds me of a game vs United about 15 years ago. We were losing 1-0 and had a good few chances and could have easily scored then United subbed on Keane and the entire United team upped the game and I dont think we created another chance after that.

It takes a rare type of player to have this effect on a team

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Hobbit Feet said:

Does anyone else find it strange that Jack is allowed by the club to wear such small shin pads and his socks so low? I know he’s always done it but he’s our prized asset, we’re paying x amount per week and we’ve seen how much his presence impacts the club. The amount of times he gets fouled you’d think he’d be more likely to get injured, his latest injury was a impact shin injury. It could potentially cost us millions if god forbid he got badly injured by either going up or selling him on? I saw Petrov write a comment on his post earlier saying pull your socks up which made me think about this. By the laws of the game you have to wear them so you could argue it’s the same as wearing PPE at work, I wouldn’t be allowed on site without a hard hat? Anyway not to be downbeat he’s still amazing and matured so much lately maybe he will decide to pull them up himself.

I don't think shinpads really make that much difference to be honest.

Players have been wearing tiny shinpads for years, just to get past the technicality of having to wear them. John Terry was a fine example:

John-Terry-Small-Shinpads.jpg

11 hours ago, weedman said:

Good players can be out of form and while it doesn't change the fact that they're good players, it also doesn't mean they can't be criticised for it

I think I know what you mean, but I think it's wrong. As a general point, I think if players are "out of form" and they are still picked, the manager should be the one getting criticism for continually picking them (unless there's no-one else available). Being out of form, not at their best happens to absolutely every player. It may be because of injury, or coming back from injury, or personal life, or being asked to play a different role - again, not their "fault". I think also that some players when they dip in form are still worth their place even when below par, on occasion. But unless they stop trying, or hide, then they need more understanding and support than we sometimes give them. And there's an element of players needing games to get into form - so piling onto them (at matches) is counter productive. Comment on message boards is a different matter, of course.

• Like 1

On 11/03/2019 at 08:52, Vive_La_Villa said:

I hadn’t ever seen a fan attack a player before in this country and then someone showed me the Leeds shef wed incident. I’m surprised that didn’t get as much coverage.  I can’t think of any others.

Are the incidents you’re referring too from leagues abroad?

On 11/03/2019 at 08:54, Stevo985 said:

Yeah they are.

I'm at work now so can't do it but if I remember later I'll link a few in here.

To be fair I do think the players' in the clips I mention are much more violent than any of our players were. But the principle is the same. If you attack a fan it's a red card.

(and again, just for clarity, I am not for one second saying any of our players should have been sent off. Just that when it happened I feared that it was a possibility)

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, DCJonah said:

That ref in the ajax game has made me so angry. So glad they just walked off 

Farcical, i think if an idiot enters the pitch they deserve to feel the force of players 

My regret still is that idiot of blues never got near Mings, he would have sorted him out

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Hobbit Feet said:

I don't think his shin pads are unusually small. He just wears his socks low, which is probably fine.

On the transfer debate, I wonder how much Euro 2020 will figure in his thinking? Spend a full season playing with Kane, Alli, Trippier, Dier, Winks, and Rose and surely you're in contention?

Returning to the shin injury thing - I wonder if he would also get a bit more protection in the Premier League. In the Championship, putting a few reducers in on Jack has become a bit of a cliche. I can't see that happening in the Premier League, where teams will be less scared of him, and the refereeing is a bit tighter.

Point is basically: we need to go up this year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Mirror reporting spurs will come back in for grealish if we don't go up and we would sell. 

I don't think that be a shock tbh. But I think if we can get 30m+ for him it really does help 

I think Levy willl be upping that 3million bid to 4million plus Onomah

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Mirror reporting spurs will come back in for grealish if we don't go up and we would sell. 

I don't think that be a shock tbh. But I think if we can get 30m+ for him it really does help 

That article basically states that they have targets in the summer.

Wouldn't surprise me if they just threw Jack back in their to beef it up.

Also mentions a Valencia midfielder as an alternative.

I have a feeling the Valencia midfielder is more likely.

On 14/03/2019 at 11:57, Hobbit Feet said:

Does anyone else find it strange that Jack is allowed by the club to wear such small shin pads and his socks so low? 

Yeah I was thinking the same, to be honest I never wore them in Sunday League for about 10 yrs but then again I wasn't worth £4 never mind £40m   

I sometimes got told by refs I had to wear some so I did have them in the car but I always felt a bit encumbered with them on so I can understand where Jack is coming from . I don't particularly remember getting injured because if it, maybe the odd scrape on the shin I could have avoided.

But these guys are highly paid pro's so I would have thought someone may have sat him down especially after a shin injury, surely some manufacturer could devise some hi tech lightweight Grealish shin pads that give more protection without him felling uncomfortable. Or maybe he is already wearing something like that and we just don't know it. 

Edited by CosmicVillan

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

That article basically states that they have targets in the summer.

Wouldn't surprise me if they just threw Jack back in their to beef it up.

Also mentions a Valencia midfielder as an alternative.

I have a feeling the Valencia midfielder is more likely.

Spur's new stadium is c. £300m over budget. I would be surprised if they have £40m available to activate Jack's release clause. Much better value to be had in the Spanish markets.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Zatman said:

I think Levy willl be upping that 3million bid to 4million plus Onomah

God, that's a name I've tried hard to forget.

He's played 12 times for Wednesday this season. £3m less than Grealish? What a ****  joke.

7 hours ago, mikeyjavfc said:

Spur's new stadium is c. £300m over budget. I would be surprised if they have £40m available to activate Jack's release clause. Much better value to be had in the Spanish markets.

That stadium has pretty much been paid off before it’s been done hasn’t it? 

NFL shit etc.

They’re minted. The bastards 

On 14/03/2019 at 11:57, Hobbit Feet said:

Your assertion is incorrect.  Jack's shin injury was a stress fracture from repetitive stress.  More akin to running on concrete without the correct footware.  Absolutely nothing to do with fouls or on pitch incidents.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, spiezels said:

That stadium has pretty much been paid off before it’s been done hasn’t it? 

NFL shit etc.

They’re minted. The bastards 

I don't believe for a second they're minted. They'd have signed Grealish, or at least someone, in the past 12 months if that were the case.

Â