The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

14 minutes ago, Straggler said:

Here's a thought for you.  Next season you can have one of Jack or Phil at the Villa on loan.  Which one do you pick?

Putting aside what they bring on the pitch…

The one definite benefit of having Phil on loan instead is he could theoretically play every match. With Jack there’s two games from the off he couldn’t feature in. 

I think Phil would also prove to be a bigger draw in attracting other players. 

23 minutes ago, Straggler said:

Here's a thought for you.  Next season you can have one of Jack or Phil at the Villa on loan.  Which one do you pick?

I loved Jack, and wouldn’t be against him coming back in the future. But it is Coutinho for me. He is better all round player in my book, and has the stats to back that up. He also has the bigger profile, which in turn increases our profile, which will help attract better players, and raise the bar on potential sponsorship deals. 

• Like 1

Yes for me I would have to pick coutinho, jack is a fantastic player and was great to watch but coutinho has that magic touch in the final third. I never thought jack scored enough for us and although he did get a few assists in the latter stages of his career here with us, that aspect of his game let him down. We are a team that needs to score as many goals from all parts of the pitch when we get the opportunity and i think we did need slightly higher numbers from our midfield player, especially as we never had an 8 type player like Gerrard or Lampard who was capable of getting 10 - 15 a season

I think as much as anything coutinho is showing what a proper AMC is and that Smith was right with Jack on the left 

Both in terms of link up play and his goals coutinho is a proper 10

They're different players 

Maybe interestingly the end of coutinho at barca he was stuck out on the left with no joy 

And I'll say it again, imagine if we had both... They'd tear it up together 

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Whatever the answer, it will be different for everyone, the very question shows how far we have come as a football club. 

When Jack left I didn’t think I’d ever see a player of his quality play for us again, but I only had to wait 6 months. 

I know PC is a couple of years older, but to get £100m for Jack and replace him with PC for £33m (reported figure if we make it permanent) is the business of the century. 

3 hours ago, Straggler said:

Coutinho all day long. I love Jack but Phil offers far more and is much more of a team player imo.

• Like 1

Coutinho has shown me what a truly world class player looks like in our colours, tbh. Someone else said he enhances the performances of the team, and it's spot on. 

Some of it is tactics, though. At no point do I feel like our strategy is "pass it to Coutinho and hope he works some magic", and the blame for that probably rests at Smith's door for having absolutely no idea how to play without the Jack Grealish cheat code.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, villa4europe said:

I think as much as anything coutinho is showing what a proper AMC is and that Smith was right with Jack on the left 

Both in terms of link up play and his goals coutinho is a proper 10

They're different players 

Maybe interestingly the end of coutinho at barca he was stuck out on the left with no joy 

And I'll say it again, imagine if we had both... They'd tear it up together 

I’m not sure they would tear it up I think they’re too similar plus both need to be the main focus to really fly. 

To be fair to Jack he had to play a lot of games with El Ghazi and Trez. He'd get a lot more space in this team to be able to do what he does best, which funnily enough is exactly what City don't want him to do, strange.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MrBlack said:

Look at that, England call up despite just coming back from injury and being largely useless this season. Picking players on form are we Gareth?

This is a manager that picks the worst defender on form in the Premier League

5 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Subbed off today...how'd he do?

It was sad to watch. I mean he's not awful. He's just not getting the ball that much and when he does he does fine and tries to drive forward. But it's just not a Grealish performance.

I think he needs to receive the ball in tight spaces, on the turn etc. City don't play those passes. They roll it left and right. 

Cancelo in particular rarely passes to him unless he's massively open and in space out wide. I actually watched Cancelo today and I think he's a bit over-rated, football intelligence wise. He makes a lot of poor decisions but he does 2 or 3 magical pieces of skill per game to cover it up.

I actually think Grealish would benefit from being played deeper, in midfield., where he can pull some strings rather than being the furthermost forward player in the team.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Didn't watch but can see that again Man City played him in a position that he never played for villa 

Madness 

It's just how it is in a top team though isn't it. You'll play wherever the manager sees fit, or not at all.

6 minutes ago, AvonVillain said:

It's just how it is in a top team though isn't it. You'll play wherever the manager sees fit, or not at all.

I dunno, trying to think of a similar scenario, it's not like any of them have ever bought a record signing CB and then played him at RB just to shoe horn him in, not sure who a good comparison would be where a team have spent so much and then tried to convert him to a different role rather than just played him in the one that made him worth so much money 

Its not like Jack's goal stats were good from the left either, his goals have always been the weakest part of his game 

Is he having a worse season at City then he did at Villa last season despite playing with higher quality players around him… and not missing a third of the season?

Edit - just checked Wiki, he played 27 times for us last season in total… scored 7 and 12 assists.

He has played 28 times for City this season, scored 4 and 3 assists.

For a £100m player that’s a horrific return. 

Edited by Tommo_b

Â