The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

sir_gary_cahill

12 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Context, wasn't it if we were relegated?

No, it was after that. He did a revealing post match interview. Either said he was considering a Man United offer or he had an offer from them which he was considering but after talking to the owners decided to pen a new (big money) deal. I’ll see if I can find it. 

Update

This is the interview I was thinking of (1:30 onwards). In the summer transfer window JG confirmed the club had offers and he was 50/50 about whether to leave or stay until the chat with the owners and he signed a new deal 24 hours later.

Edited by Genie
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, GENTLEMAN said:

That’s not beyond the realms of possibilities though. Over the next 2-3 seasons. I think that’s where the owners intend to be swimming. I think we’re at catalyst moment, this season and next, much like spurs were prior to their push on the top 4. Of course much more competitive now, but it’s not wild to suggest that Grealish plays in the CL in a Villa shirt. 

Oh, unless you mean this season. Lol, yes maybe that is impossible.

It's not beyond the realms of possibility, but then Wolves thought that after a couple of good seasons and they hit the glass ceiling.  We had the same hopes under O'Neill and as soon as it looked likely the really rich clubs bought Barry and Milner.   Jack is 25, he'll be 26 on the opening day of the new season. He's in his peak right now and he's got maybe four or five years at this level if things go well.  From our point of view this is amazing.   From opposition clubs point of view it's a huge opportunity as Grealish has to be one of the best players on the planet who isn't a club who can offer Champions League football in the short term. Why wouldn't you try to buy him?  From Jack's point of view? Well, who knows but if he wants to test himself against the best opposition and play in the biggest games then maybe he does have to seriously consider the offers that he's definitely going to be getting from really big clubs. He's been very loyal to the club, we've had our "one more year" out of him three or four times if we are being brutally honest.   I'm not saying I want him to go because it would be a devastating blow for the team but I am realistic and I totally get why he might want to play in the big European competitions.  We just have to have contingency plans to replace him. Leicester managed to replace all of the big players they've lost in recent years (Kante, Mahrez, Drinkwaterlol, Maguire, Chilwell) and our board have said they will sell to reinvest so if Grealish does go then it's going to be for a huge fee and maybe we actually become a better side out of it.  Look at Liverpool who sold Coutinho and used the money to win the Champions League and Premier League. 

2 hours ago, The_Rev said:

It's not beyond the realms of possibility, but then Wolves thought that after a couple of good seasons and they hit the glass ceiling.  We had the same hopes under O'Neill and as soon as it looked likely the really rich clubs bought Barry and Milner.   Jack is 25, he'll be 26 on the opening day of the new season. He's in his peak right now and he's got maybe four or five years at this level if things go well.  From our point of view this is amazing.   From opposition clubs point of view it's a huge opportunity as Grealish has to be one of the best players on the planet who isn't a club who can offer Champions League football in the short term. Why wouldn't you try to buy him?  From Jack's point of view? Well, who knows but if he wants to test himself against the best opposition and play in the biggest games then maybe he does have to seriously consider the offers that he's definitely going to be getting from really big clubs. He's been very loyal to the club, we've had our "one more year" out of him three or four times if we are being brutally honest.   I'm not saying I want him to go because it would be a devastating blow for the team but I am realistic and I totally get why he might want to play in the big European competitions.  We just have to have contingency plans to replace him. Leicester managed to replace all of the big players they've lost in recent years (Kante, Mahrez, Drinkwaterlol, Maguire, Chilwell) and our board have said they will sell to reinvest so if Grealish does go then it's going to be for a huge fee and maybe we actually become a better side out of it.  Look at Liverpool who sold Coutinho and used the money to win the Champions League and Premier League. 

We’re not Wolves. These owners are not Lerner. He is not Milner, Barry or Benteke.

Like you, I am unsure of what will happen regards Jack. I think he’s highly ambitious. I think he knows he’s world class and capable of performing on the biggest stage. I’d imagine he would like the experience of a huge transfer and to be an x million pound player. Be the talked about the world over and be on the cover of FIFA. Yet, this is no run of the mill transfer. Villa is in his blood. His whole life has been Aston Villa. These owners are serious and ambitious. He will be handsomely rewarded. This combination, may be enough to persuade him to remain. A title in Aston is worth 10 in Manchester. This fear of missing out may drive him to remain. Until he’s gone I’d rather be delusionally optimistic and dream of him captaining Villa under the lights at VP whilst serenaded by Handel’s anthem.

Something I am more certain of is that the current regime know his value. They will not be embarrassed. He will cost and potential suitors will have to pay. We will reinvest and Villa will progress. I feel this is happening with or without Jack. 

Edited by GENTLEMAN
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Re: 'keeping Grealish'

How much can we spend next transfer window (Summer)?

We might need to go big on a few transfers to keep him to have a strong opportunity for CL qualification.

Possibly up to £100m on transfer fees.

Salaries are our big problem though, we are a couple of hundred million short in revenue to be able to pay massive salaries like the rest of the top 6.

3 hours ago, The_Rev said:

This is something I completely disagree with. Simply because the PL is the best league in the world. He's facing those teams far more frequently in this league than he would in the CL. He's also now in the England squad, where he plays along side them. 

The only thing CL can offer are different clubs, different stadiums, cooler song and a nice trophy. Quality wise he's already at the best level you can experience. 

2 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

This is something I completely disagree with. Simply because the PL is the best league in the world. He's facing those teams far more frequently in this league than he would in the CL. He's also now in the England squad, where he plays along side them. 

The only thing CL can offer are different clubs, different stadiums, cooler song and a nice trophy. Quality wise he's already at the best level you can experience. 

Correct. Half of the teams in the CL are just filler. Salzburg, Lokomotiv Moscow, Shakhtar, Marseille, Olympiakos, Midtjylland, Krasnodar, Rennes, Club Brugge, Zenit, Dyanmo Kiev, Ferencvaros, Istanbul Basaksehir. CL is very, very, very over rated.

3 hours ago, Genie said:

No, it was after that. He did a revealing post match interview. Either said he was considering a Man United offer or he had an offer from them which he was considering but after talking to the owners decided to pen a new (big money) deal. I’ll see if I can find it. 

Update

This is the interview I was thinking of (1:30 onwards). In the summer transfer window JG confirmed the club had offers and he was 50/50 about whether to leave or stay until the chat with the owners and he signed a new deal 24 hours later.

Where does it say it was Man United?

He could actually go down in the history books as one of the best players the league has seen. He can play and captain the club he supports from the div 2 (yeah whatever I'm old), to the top div, win something trophies, maybe the league and become an England star... and more.

Some of it he's already ticked off. Some he's probably wanting to tick off. Must be an exceptional feeling to step out at Villa Park as captain knowing you have that opportunity at your feet. 

He also know we got ambitious owners now, and will add more quality to the squad going forward.

In one season we've gone from struggling to survive...to smashing the champions and being arguably the best footballing side in the league. 

In two seasons we've gone from barely making play off to that. 

In three seasons we've gone from midtable championship to that. 

Lord knows what another season or two will do with these owners and management. Grealish will spearhead it all. É scritto. Lui é la inglese Totti (that's my best Italian at work lol). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Genie said:

Update

Sorry for late reply, only just had time to watch, I remember seeing this at the time, good find.

I thought then as I do now that there was nothing in it, interviewer offered up the 50/50 and Jack said I suppose so and the interest he refers to was the media baloney that was going round, I think any interest got as far as, is Jack available and the club said no, the figures ranging from 40 to 100m were all media bull crap.

Honestly think he will be here till the end of his career, as long as NWSE continue the good work and we keep making progress, he is ours for keeps.

13 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Sorry for late reply, only just had time to watch, I remember seeing this at the time, good find.

I thought then as I do now that there was nothing in it, interviewer offered up the 50/50 and Jack said I suppose so and the interest he refers to was the media baloney that was going round, I think any interest got as far as, is Jack available and the club said no, the figures ranging from 40 to 100m were all media bull crap.

Honestly think he will be here till the end of his career, as long as NWSE continue the good work and we keep making progress, he is ours for keeps.

It’s only speculation because not many people will know with absolute certainty, however, I’d assume if the player is saying he was 50/50 whether to stay or go then an offer has been (reluctantly) accepted by the club and the player has a contract on the table which he’s given serious consideration.

It looks like our owners stepped in and offered him a deal which convinced him to stay, alongside outlined their ambitions for the club.

8 minutes ago, Genie said:

It’s only speculation because not many people will know with absolute certainty, however, I’d assume if the player is saying he was 50/50 whether to stay or go then an offer has been (reluctantly) accepted by the club and the player has a contract on the table which he’s given serious consideration.

It looks like our owners stepped in and offered him a deal which convinced him to stay, alongside outlined their ambitions for the club.

Also the fact we narrowly missed relegation. Surely he would have gone had we went down again. I think that 50/50 thinking must have been related to that too? 

5 minutes ago, birdman said:

Also the fact we narrowly missed relegation. Surely he would have gone had we went down again. I think that 50/50 thinking must have been related to that too? 

He would have been a certainty to leave had we gone down.

The dilemma he has is leaving the club he loves to play for a team in the Champions League where he’s easily good enough to play. It’s not an easy decision to make. If the owners assured him there would be major investment in the squad, plus they’d match what those other parties were willing to pay him then I assume that’s how that conversation went.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Genie said:

6 minutes ago, birdman said:

I've just watched it again and I can't see where you can can glean anything other then it being pure speculation, probably hearing and seeing what I want to believe, however, I'd say it was more along the lines of what birdman says about the media speculation being linked to how poor we were and the inevitable of if we'd gone down, as Genie says we will never know but I'd be surprised if it got to serious acceptable offer to the club level and as Jack says it was an easy strait forward decision for him.

Thank god hawkeye was on our side.

1 hour ago, Okonokos said:

Correct. Half of the teams in the CL are just filler. Salzburg, Lokomotiv Moscow, Shakhtar, Marseille, Olympiakos, Midtjylland, Krasnodar, Rennes, Club Brugge, Zenit, Dyanmo Kiev, Ferencvaros, Istanbul Basaksehir. CL is very, very, very over rated.

........Man City, Spurs......the list of also rans is long....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

I've just watched it again and I can't see where you can can glean anything other then it being pure speculation, probably hearing and seeing what I want to believe, however, I'd say it was more along the lines of what birdman says about the media speculation being linked to how poor we were and the inevitable of if we'd gone down, as Genie says we will never know but I'd be surprised if it got to serious acceptable offer to the club level and as Jack says it was an easy strait forward decision for him.

Thank god hawkeye was on our side.

Clubs don’t give players big new contracts unless there is strong interest from elsewhere.

Jack signed one the year before too didn’t he?

If there was no firm interest I don’t think Jack would say he was 50/50 about leaving, especially as a Villa fan. 

• Like 1

Â