The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

sir_gary_cahill

You can't choose what country you're from xD If you were born in Ireland then you're Irish, if you were born in England then you're English, it's not an argument, you can't 'raise them Irish' lol I know the Irish fans feel hard done by after losing him after all the time he's spent wit the Irish team, but the lad wants to play for HIS country, not his dad's.

You can choose your nationality though.

I was born in England, my first language was Polish, I attended a weekend Polish school where I got a GCSE, I went/served at Polish mass, went to Polish Scouts and eat Polish food in a family with Polish on both sides. I didn't even know the word for 'dressing gown' till I was 16, it was always a szlafrok to me.

So what am I? English because I was born here or Polish because it was my culture and heritage?

Whatever he chooses I think it's fair enough, if it's Ireland he probably feels a connection or perhaps wan't to be a big fish in a small pond, if it's England he feels more English with a desire to try and win a tournament.

I just hope he signs a contract with us asap;

Edited by itdoesntmatterwhatthissay
  • Like 4

You can't choose what country you're from xD If you were born in Ireland then you're Irish, if you were born in England then you're English, it's not an argument, you can't 'raise them Irish' lol I know the Irish fans feel hard done by after losing him after all the time he's spent wit the Irish team, but the lad wants to play for HIS country, not his dad's.

I was born in England, my first language was Polish, I attended a weekend Polish school where I got a GCSE, I went/served at Polish mass, went to Polish Scouts and eat Polish food in a family with Polish on both sides. I didn't even know the word for 'dressing gown' till I was 16, it was always a szlafrok to me.

So what am I? English because I was born here or Polish because it was my culture and heritage?

Whatever he chooses I think it's fair enough, if it's Ireland he probably feels a connection or perhaps wan't to be a big fish in a small pond, if it's England he feels more English with a desire to try and win a tournament.

Call yourself Spartan for all I care mate, you're English, love it or hate it

• Like 4

Being born somewhere doesn't make you from there? Are you a moron? If you're born in Ireland, but you're parents were born in Spain, and their patents in the Czech rep, then what nationality are you if what you say is true and it's based on genetics?...... Nationality is NOT based on genetics

I know that it's not genetics. I'm most certainly not a moron because of being able to know legal entitlement to citizenship of Ireland. It's more ignorance on your part really. Being born in a country does not make you legally a citizen from there. For example one or other of your parents have to be citizens of Ireland before you are entitled to an Irish passport at birth, regardless of if you were born in Ireland or not.

Obviously Jack is English by right of being born and raised in England with the legal rights of his Irish parents being EU citizens, but he is also entitled to an Irish passport too. 

Nationality is not a simple as you are born somewhere and that's your nationality forever. If I have kids here in London and move back to Ireland when they're toddlers and my wife is Irish. There isn't a hope in hell that my kids are English just because I happend to be working in England at the time of their conception.

Nationality, and national identity are very different. I think anybody aged 18 can decide that for themselves. So Jack going out and playing fir the Irish U21's at age 19 while he thinks about who he plays for is just wrong. 

Edited by CVByrne

Being born somewhere doesn't make you from there? Are you a moron? If you're born in Ireland, but you're parents were born in Spain, and their patents in the Czech rep, then what nationality are you if what you say is true and it's based on genetics?...... Nationality is NOT based on genetics

I know that it's not genetics. I'm most certainly not a moron because of being able to know legal entitlement to citizenship of Ireland. It's more ignorance on your part really. Being born in a country does not make you legally a citizen from there. Fro example one or other of your parents have to be citizens of Ireland before you can get an Irish passport regardless of if you are born there or not. 

Obviously Jack is English by right of being born and raised in England with the legal rights of his Irish parents being EU citizens, but he is also entitled to an Irish passport too. 

Nationality is not a simple as you are born somewhere and that's your nationality forever. If I have kids here in London and move back to Ireland when they're toddlers and my wife is Irish. There isn't a hope in hell that my kids are English just because I happend to be working in England at the time of their conception.

Nationality, and national identity are very different. I think anybody aged 18 can decide that for themselves. So Jack going out and playing fir the Irish U21's at age 19 while he thinks about who he plays for is just wrong. 

The bold bit is true and contradicts most of what you've said.

Where you're born = nationality

How you feel = national identity

In your example, your kids ARE English.  They might identify more with being Irish, consider themselves to be Irish and may well cheer on the Irish national teams in all sports.  Nationality wise, they're English (British).

• Like 3

It's not ignorance, yes there are ins and outs, I know you're parents have to be a citizen and I'm not suggesting that if my misses has a baby in Cyprus next summer while were on holiday that my child is Cypriat. But you're nitpicking now. What we're talking about is the general rule that if you're born and raised in a country then that's your nationality, agree with it or not.

Call yourself Spartan for all I care mate, you're English, love it or hate it

What a repulsive post. 

I think it's time to for me stop posting in the thread. I've explained my opinions, the topic is now moving off from Jack.  

• Like 1

Who cares?

If he plays to Ireland, he won't play in as many tournaments.

If he plays for England, he'll most likely move to a bigger club in a shorter period of time and be called shit once he's won more than a handful of caps.

Whatever he chooses is down to him.  He's got the option of two countries and he'll choose whichever one suits him most, not what he "feels more than".

• Like 1

Who cares?

If he plays to Ireland, he won't play in as many tournaments.

If he plays for England, he'll most likely move to a bigger club in a shorter period of time and be called shit once he's won more than a handful of caps.

Whatever he chooses is down to him.  He's got the option of two countries and he'll choose whichever one suits him most, not what he "feels more than".

Well yes, obviously this (aside from the moving clubs bit!).

Personally, I don't care who he decides to represent internationally.  Villa > *.

I wish he worked a bit harder for the team. I think he's a talent, and I like seeing him in the team, but he occasionally walks when running would be more helpful to the team.

Hadn't noticed this tbh, I need to see him play 90 and then maybe come back to the statement above, is he starting tonight for u21?

Â