The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

For all the esteem Roy Keane now holds rising star Jack Grealish in at club and international level, the player himself recalls a terrifying introduction to the Corkman back in July.

First day of pre-season at Aston Villa’s Bodymoor Heath training ground and Keane is holding court, surveying the talent he’s taken on, in his role as Paul Lambert’s assistant.

It’s also a fresh start for Academy graduate Grealish, his first full season as a first-teamer following his successful loan stint with League One outfit Notts County last season that Lambert deemed necessary to develop the teenager’s boyish physique into a man capable of meeting the demands of the Premier League.

Keane’s reputation as a fiery taskmaster averse to the luxury player category. But when Keane’s critique of Grealish came, it was delivered in the Corkman’s modern-day fashion.

“To be honest, at the beginning, I didn’t even think Roy would like me, because of the type of player I am,” explained Grealish, who celebrated his 19th birthday yesterday.

“On the first day of training, I didn’t start the session that well and he tapped me on the shoulder after half an hour.

He said: “Are you alright?” and I replied “yeah”. And then he asked me: “When do you start training then?”

“That put me under pressure straight away then. He was only bantering but I wondered was he being a little bit serious here.

“However, Roy’s been brilliant for me and we now get on great. Every time I’m around the squad, he’s flooded me with confidence and he’s one of the main reasons for my success. So I thank Roy for all his help.

“Roy and the manager have showed that they really believe in me. My confidence is sky high at the moment and I just hope to get my first start in the Premier League soon.”

That opportunity may well present itself on Saturday at Anfield, given the impression Grealish has made in two substitute outings during Villa’s unbeaten start to the Premier League campaign.

On his last visit to Liverpool, back in April 2012, Grealish was just 16 and was drafted into first-team squad by then-boss Alex McLeish.

His return to Merseyside sees him very much central to the unit constructed by Lambert and Keane bidding to leave behind an era of relegation struggles for Villa.

He said: “It will be nice to go back to Anfield as a first-team player. Unfortunately, I didn’t make the bench last time but it was unbelievable with the surroundings and the atmosphere from the Kop.

“Hopefully I can get some game-time at Anfield because I’m full of confidence at the moment.

“Having gotten a taste of the Premier League, I’m striving for more by trying to get more games. I’m going through one of those phases where I just can’t get enough.”

More of the same wizardry from Grealish creates the paradoxical effect for Lambert of enhancing Villa’s status while making the youngster an even more attractive recruit for a growing gallery of rival Premier League admirers.

Chelsea aren’t alone amongst the top-flight financial heavyweights in prying upon Grealish’s delicate contract situation but, according to the man himself, the Blues are likely to get nowhere in their pursuit.

“I want to stay at Villa,” the Solihull native said. “My contract runs out at the end of the season but my eyes are on remaining here. It’s just down to contract negotiations at the moment but I’m hopeful it will come in time.”

Pressed on whether he could ever envisage himself playing for another club, he responded: “No, of course not. I’m a lifelong Villa fan. Even when I didn’t have a game during my loan spell at Notts County last season, I’d go down and watch as a supporter.

“I’ve been a season-ticket holder since I was four and joined the club at couple of years later. So to be playing for Villa in the Premier League and having the fans in the Holte End chant my name, like they did against Hull is a dream come true. I wasn’t even sure that I’d make the substitutes’ bench for the first game of the season against Stoke but to come on with us leading 1-0 was probably the most nervous I’d ever been.

“I did get a few kicks against Hull yet I can handle that. I’m not a kid anymore; I’ve got to see myself as a first-team player first because you never know what’s going to happen.

“Some people are in the team one week and out on loan the next. All I know is that I’ve really enjoyed the experience so far and want to push on.”

• Like 2

Don't care much about the national team to be honest, but if I moved abroad & had kids I would still consider them Irish, and if one of them (please god) turns into a very promising footballer, I would want him to play for Ireland.

Exactly, if my wife is Irish and we've moved abroad for work like millions of Irish people had to do. He'd be brought up knowing he was Irish. We are a country of emigrants, but retain our identity abroad. Just look at America!

This is what has happened with Grealish and his parents. From what I've heard on Second Captains podcast Grealish has lots of family and all of them who've represented at any international level have played for Ireland. Essentially he'll be the first person from his family to ever play for England.

The only motivation I can see is money and the prospect of playing for a much better team in world Cups etc. It's his choice of course he should do what he wants. But he will have to accept the ill will that comes with playing 18 times for Ireland and then turning his back on that to represent England. Simple fact of life and football.

Footballers get derided from changing clubs to rivals in the same city after all !!.

You can't choose what country you're from xD If you were born in Ireland then you're Irish, if you were born in England then you're English, it's not an argument, you can't 'raise them Irish' lol I know the Irish fans feel hard done by after losing him after all the time he's spent wit the Irish team, but the lad wants to play for HIS country, not his dad's.

• Like 2

The only motivation I can see is money and the prospect of playing for a much better team in world Cups etc. 

Or the fact he's lived there his entire life.

I know quite a few people here in Brum with two Irish parents and as much as their parents don't like it, most of them consider themselves English.

Some of them don't, but then that comes back to it being Jack's own decision.

The lad is English, so should play for England. 

Why has he played for Ireland 18 times? 

I don't know really. It's a stupid rule I think. I agree he shouldn't have played for Ireland, but even though he has, he should still play for England as he's English. 

So if I have kids here in London. They're now English? You know just because someone is born somewhere doesn't make them from that country. Being morn in Ireland doesn't get you an Irish passport. Being English or being Irish or whatever is about identity, even more so in the era of European Union where we can go and work wherever.

If he'd never represented Ireland at underage level or even if he had at U16 and U18 then England at U21 I'd have no problem at all. It's the switching, of nationalities of any kind that is wrong. It's pretty much just that issue that grates here. 

What's worse is he hasn't just declared for England either. He's doing a horrible wait and see so he can play both sides and decide whats best for him. Essentially he wants to see if Ireland are going to be good enough to get him to an international tournament, if so he'll declare for us. If we look rubbish by next summer and he's broken through on the Premiership then he'll declare for England.

I'd say it's that simple tbh. He has ties to both Ireland and England so for him he feels he can represent either. He probably feels more Irish but has to weigh that against the futility of playing for a rubbish international team like Ireland. 

Because the FAI would select somebody who owns a Father Ted boxset if they can kick a ball.

Just because the FAI want to select somebody, doesn't mean that person has to accept the selection. 

When you are old enough to play for the U21's you are old enough to decide what country you want to represent. Simple as that. 

You can't choose what country you're from xD If you were born in Ireland then you're Irish, if you were born in England then you're English, it's not an argument, you can't 'raise them Irish' lol I know the Irish fans feel hard done by after losing him after all the time he's spent wit the Irish team, but the lad wants to play for HIS country, not his dad's.

Completely untrue, and also in our laws. Being born in Ireland does not make you Irish, it does not entitle you to an Irish passport either. 

Because the FAI would select somebody who owns a Father Ted boxset if they can kick a ball.

Just because the FAI want to select somebody, doesn't mean that person has to accept the selection. 

When you are old enough to play for the U21's you are old enough to decide what country you want to represent. Simple as that.

Yet you seem perturbed that he is putting time and thought into this decision ?

I don't know really. It's a stupid rule I think. I agree he shouldn't have played for Ireland, but even though he has, he should still play for England as he's English.

So if I have kids here in London. They're now English? You know just because someone is born somewhere doesn't make them from that country. Being morn in Ireland doesn't get you an Irish passport. Being English or being Irish or whatever is about identity, even more so in the era of European Union where we can go and work wherever.

If he'd never represented Ireland at underage level or even if he had at U16 and U18 then England at U21 I'd have no problem at all. It's the switching, of nationalities of any kind that is wrong. It's pretty much just that issue that grates here.

What's worse is he hasn't just declared for England either. He's doing a horrible wait and see so he can play both sides and decide whats best for him. Essentially he wants to see if Ireland are going to be good enough to get him to an international tournament, if so he'll declare for us. If we look rubbish by next summer and he's broken through on the Premiership then he'll declare for England.

I'd say it's that simple tbh. He has ties to both Ireland and England so for him he feels he can represent either. He probably feels more Irish but has to weigh that against the futility of playing for a rubbish international team like Ireland.

Being born somewhere doesn't make you from there? Are you a moron? If you're born in Ireland, but you're parents were born in Spain, and their patents in the Czech rep, then what nationality are you if what you say is true and it's based on genetics?...... Nationality is NOT based on genetics

• Like 2

He probably feels more Irish but has to weigh that against the futility of playing for a rubbish international team like Ireland. 

Come on, now you're just guessing and you know it.

How many people have ever switched nations between under age levels? Not many. Not to mention he made his debut for the U21s when he was still a minor.

For all the esteem Roy Keane now holds rising star Jack Grealish in at club and international level, the player himself recalls a terrifying introduction to the Corkman back in July.

First day of pre-season at Aston Villa’s Bodymoor Heath training ground and Keane is holding court, surveying the talent he’s taken on, in his role as Paul Lambert’s assistant.

It’s also a fresh start for Academy graduate Grealish, his first full season as a first-teamer following his successful loan stint with League One outfit Notts County last season that Lambert deemed necessary to develop the teenager’s boyish physique into a man capable of meeting the demands of the Premier League.

Keane’s reputation as a fiery taskmaster averse to the luxury player category. But when Keane’s critique of Grealish came, it was delivered in the Corkman’s modern-day fashion.

“To be honest, at the beginning, I didn’t even think Roy would like me, because of the type of player I am,” explained Grealish, who celebrated his 19th birthday yesterday.

“On the first day of training, I didn’t start the session that well and he tapped me on the shoulder after half an hour.

He said: “Are you alright?” and I replied “yeah”. And then he asked me: “When do you start training then?”

“That put me under pressure straight away then. He was only bantering but I wondered was he being a little bit serious here.

“However, Roy’s been brilliant for me and we now get on great. Every time I’m around the squad, he’s flooded me with confidence and he’s one of the main reasons for my success. So I thank Roy for all his help.

“Roy and the manager have showed that they really believe in me. My confidence is sky high at the moment and I just hope to get my first start in the Premier League soon.”

That opportunity may well present itself on Saturday at Anfield, given the impression Grealish has made in two substitute outings during Villa’s unbeaten start to the Premier League campaign.

On his last visit to Liverpool, back in April 2012, Grealish was just 16 and was drafted into first-team squad by then-boss Alex McLeish.

His return to Merseyside sees him very much central to the unit constructed by Lambert and Keane bidding to leave behind an era of relegation struggles for Villa.

He said: “It will be nice to go back to Anfield as a first-team player. Unfortunately, I didn’t make the bench last time but it was unbelievable with the surroundings and the atmosphere from the Kop.

“Hopefully I can get some game-time at Anfield because I’m full of confidence at the moment.

“Having gotten a taste of the Premier League, I’m striving for more by trying to get more games. I’m going through one of those phases where I just can’t get enough.”

More of the same wizardry from Grealish creates the paradoxical effect for Lambert of enhancing Villa’s status while making the youngster an even more attractive recruit for a growing gallery of rival Premier League admirers.

Chelsea aren’t alone amongst the top-flight financial heavyweights in prying upon Grealish’s delicate contract situation but, according to the man himself, the Blues are likely to get nowhere in their pursuit.

“I want to stay at Villa,” the Solihull native said. “My contract runs out at the end of the season but my eyes are on remaining here. It’s just down to contract negotiations at the moment but I’m hopeful it will come in time.”

Pressed on whether he could ever envisage himself playing for another club, he responded: “No, of course not. I’m a lifelong Villa fan. Even when I didn’t have a game during my loan spell at Notts County last season, I’d go down and watch as a supporter.

“I’ve been a season-ticket holder since I was four and joined the club at couple of years later. So to be playing for Villa in the Premier League and having the fans in the Holte End chant my name, like they did against Hull is a dream come true. I wasn’t even sure that I’d make the substitutes’ bench for the first game of the season against Stoke but to come on with us leading 1-0 was probably the most nervous I’d ever been.

“I did get a few kicks against Hull yet I can handle that. I’m not a kid anymore; I’ve got to see myself as a first-team player first because you never know what’s going to happen.

“Some people are in the team one week and out on loan the next. All I know is that I’ve really enjoyed the experience so far and want to push on.”

Hard not to like Jack even more after reading that. Glad he wants to stay.

He probably feels more Irish but has to weigh that against the futility of playing for a rubbish international team like Ireland.

Come on, now you're just guessing and you know it.

How many people have ever switched nations between under age levels? Not many. Not to mention he made his debut for the U21s when he was still a minor.

Don't worry, this fella also thinks that nationality is about 'identity' rather than where you were born, I play a lot of skyrim, I'm beginning to think I'm Argonian as I feel it's my 'identity' (nerd joke)

Being born somewhere doesn't make you from there? Are you a moron? If you're born in Ireland, but you're parents were born in Spain, and their patents in the Czech rep, then what nationality are you if what you say is true and it's based on genetics?...... Nationality is NOT based on genetics

If it was then every single one of us is from one of the African nations.  What a crap world cup that would be.

I don't understand this myth that if he plays for Ireland, then we'll stand more chance of keeping him.

If he keeps playing well for Villa, the vultures will be around regardless of who he is playing international football for.

If anything, we would get an inflated fee as an England international when he does eventually move on IMO.

If it was then every single one of us is from one of the African nations. What a crap world cup that would be.

I don't think CVByrne is getting it. I think he thinks on his birth certificate, under nationality the doctor just wrote 'will be decided at the age of 19 after person has 'found themself'

If it was then every single one of us is from one of the African nations.  What a crap world cup that would be.

At least Pele would have gotten his prediction right then.

Don't worry, this fella also thinks that nationality is about 'identity' rather than where you were born

Not only born, the place you've lived your entire life. Maybe Jack feels Irish, if he does I'll be pleased to see him play for Ireland. IMO though it's more likely he feels English, what with having been born and raised here and sounding as Brummie as he does.

This has to be the most pointless debate on VT I have ever read.

Who **** cares. As long as he remains a Villa player he can do what the **** he wants for any shithouse internation outfit he feels inclined to turn out for.

IMO it's not a debate about who he should play for, just about whether or not he should be vilified by Irish fans for some perceived slight on them (motivated by money / glory) if he chooses to represent the country he's from.

• Like 2

If you have kids in London, raise them in London, and they've lived in London all their life til the age of 19 then yeah I'd say they are English. 

• Like 1

Â