The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

1 hour ago, StanBalaban said:

But it's us as fans that fear whether he'll be sold. The owners and directors won't fear it, as they're the ones that decide whether he's sold. They'll know already.

Man City can't just buy him - the club have a agree to sell him, and that part is in our control. Therefore, the club would know the narrative to take into things such as the kit launch. 

In theory I agree. In practice if Grealish wants to go and Man C want him there isn't an awful lot we can do.

Personally though I think he will stay.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hippo said:

In theory I agree. In practice if Grealish wants to go and Man C want him there isn't an awful lot we can do.

I actually think we hold all the cards. We don't need the money, so that's of minimal incentive to sell him, unlike at our situations past and at many other clubs.

Jack may indeed want to go, but I doubt (but could be wrong) that he'd down tools like Dwight Yorke did just to get his own way. He knows that the alternative to leaving is a 50% pay-rise, more lucrative marketing deals and the continued opportunity to captain his club in a push for European football. Downing tools will see him burn his bridges with the Villa faithful, of which he and his family a part of.

So, barring a full-on hissy fit from the player, forcing us to cut him free, he's under contract for the next 4 years.

All of which would be known by NSWE, Purslow and co. They'll know the possibility / probability of him going or staying, and can adapt their communications strategy accordingly. They've put him at the heart of it.

I also mentioned there's very few rumours of us looking at players to replace Jack circulating, which you think would be the case if the club has agreed to sell him. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, The Moustache of Teale said:

Moyes and Rodgers have made a pretty good stab at it last season and without the level of resources of that lot, so why not?

They also haven't got Jack.  I think that keeping Jack - a world class player who is just coming into his peak years - could make a massive difference for us and be the stimulus for us to get into that top 6, especially if we can replicate last year's recruitment this summer ... and Buendia, imho, is a great start to that process. 

To me, we are in a similar position to where spurs have been with first Bale - but sold for big money and wasted it with poor recruitment - and then Kane, who has largely carried them to CL and they have built on this.

12 minutes ago, hippo said:

He has 4 years on his contract. Can't we pretty much say no for 4 years? 

1 minute ago, StanBalaban said:

I actually think we hold all the cards. We don't need the money, so that's of minimal incentive to sell him, unlike at our situations past and at many other clubs.

Jack may indeed want to go, but I doubt (but could be wrong) that he'd down tools like Dwight Yorke did just to get his own way. He knows that the alternative to leaving is a 50% pay-rise, more lucrative marketing deals and the continued opportunity to captain his club in a push for European football. Downing tools will see him burn his bridges with the Villa faithful, of which he and his family a part of.

So, barring a full-on hissy fit from the player, forcing us to cut him free, he's under contract for the next 4 years.

All of which would be known by NSWE, Purslow and co. They'll know the possibility / probability of him going or staying, and can adapt their communications strategy accordingly. They've put him at the heart of it.

I also mentioned there's very few rumours of us looking at players to replace Jack circulating, which you think would be the case if the club has agreed to sell him. 

Yup - I think he will stay.

The halfway house though is that he stalls on a new contract at villa - and his value decreases as the contract ticks down.

Right now I don't think anyone really knows what's happening - we are all guessing !!!

2 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

He has 4 years on his contract. Can't we pretty much say no for 4 years? 

Yep-  like I said in theory - we can do that.

In practice we then have a disgruntled player - who leaves for nothing at the end of those 4 years....

3 minutes ago, hippo said:

Yup - I think he will stay.

The halfway house though is that he stalls on a new contract at villa - and his value decreases as the contract ticks down.

Right now I don't think anyone really knows what's happening - we are all guessing !!!

I think the fact that there will still be 3 years left on the contract would mean it would be a hefty sum still, if he didn't sign a new deal.

Also, with better players around him, he could have an even better season either making that new contract more likely mid-season, or have his value is at least cemented. 

I agree with you though, few will really have a clue what's happening outside of Jack, but I think the club would be one of those in the know by now.

Frankly I’d rather let Jacks contract completely run down and walk free than cash in on a transfer.  I think the 20m offset per year in transfer revenue is worth the opportunity cost.  Making Europe and the springboard that comes with that is worth more than what any transfer fee could bring in.

And get this idea out of your head that he would be disgruntled to stay.  He loves this club, stayed with us through the dark years, the rot, and the championship… now we are knocking on the door of his dreams and he’s going to force his way out??  Just can’t see it happening.  He loves this club, he’s said it himself time and time again.

Edited by Paulie
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

usually Tifo is a lot better but I am not so keen on this new host, he is just awkward on camera

It's strange. He was quite good during the stuff that they did after the Euros games. Still prone to the outbursts of not funny jokes but analysed the game pretty well IMO. He just really seems to not do these scripted things well. In general I'm not really a fan of the new format with the touch screen. Their other videos are much better.

Also, it was titled as sensible transfers. The sensible transfer format originally was a club and three suitable players or something like that. I was expecting this to be where could Grealish realistically go and present a few different options, maybe even stay at Villa (what a shock that would be). Instead it was just a "How City could line up with Grealish" similar to what The Mirror or some other tabloid have produced in the past.

1 hour ago, hippo said:

Yep-  like I said in theory - we can do that.

In practice we then have a disgruntled player - who leaves for nothing at the end of those 4 years....

However, the flip side is what we as a club gain financially by keeping him here through increased exposure, sponsorships, possible prize money from maybe (just maybe) winning something?! Qualifying for Europe?!

If we flog him for 100m now… that’s it then… that’s all we are getting…

and then other clubs know we have that to play with and will try to take us to the cleaners…

Most other clubs and their fans seem completely oblivious that our owners are loaded already

Citeh thinking they can just take 2 of the best players this country has produced in the last decade, both captaining bigger clubs than themselves, both under long contracts 😂 

Pep is a joke and is used to these tactics at Barcelona and Bayern Munich. Thank God we have NSWE.

Its legitimate to say we own Englands MVP right now, he has Villa DNA and is worth more to us than any club can afford.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Admin for the Sky Sports News page is filtering out Villa fans in the replies (hidden reply function). Disgrace. 

The disrespect for Villa from Sky Sports is absolutely staggering, bordering on blatant. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, DJ_Villain said:

However, the flip side is what we as a club gain financially by keeping him here through increased exposure, sponsorships, possible prize money from maybe (just maybe) winning something?! Qualifying for Europe?!

If we flog him for 100m now… that’s it then… that’s all we are getting…

and then other clubs know we have that to play with and will try to take us to the cleaners…

Most other clubs and their fans seem completely oblivious that our owners are loaded already

Again I agree in principle.

But I don't see the club retaining Jacks services if he makes it clear he wishes to leave.

Dunno why, I really thought we'd get at least one summer off from this endless saga after he signed a new deal and we had a pretty good season, but nope. 

It's really very boring how desperate the media are to sell him for us, and not just him either, likes of Rice it's the same thing. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Dunno why, I really thought we'd get at least one summer off from this endless saga after he signed a new deal and we had a pretty good season, but nope. 

It's really very boring how desperate the media are to sell him for us, and not just him either, likes of Rice it's the same thing. 

Its like bloody pantomime season. Oh for the days of teletext transfer updates

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Follyfoot said:

Its like bloody pantomime season. Oh for the days of teletext transfer updates

I need to find a way to shut it out completely. He will stay or he will go, it's 50/50; I know this, but it's hard not to keep getting sucked back in. 

Â