The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

The reality is you if you can keep your best players you will only progress if the investment is significant and the management on and off the pitch is shrewd! Also that player provides a stability and reliability which lessens the risk of squad building.

If you take the risk of selling your best player the conditions have to be right.  If your squad is aging and you lack funds to rebuild, selling said player is a necessity and will benefit more often than not. If you have a young squad with money to spend, you keep him and build around him as the foundation.

Sorry Joey but in this situation you are very wrong. We have a core of 4 or 5 players approaching their prime that can fit into almost any squad in the country, one of them IMO is the best English playmaker of his generation (Jack). We HAVE to keep him, and this summer build an attack around him that can terrify even the best defences. Otherwise we face another decade of mediocrity!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, zab6359 said:

I know it shouldn't but it does wind me up seeing Jack post pics on instagram of him and SJM getting hammered.  When our foriegn players are enjoying there break but training too. 

I think a proper break after the intensity of the last couple of months is exactly what they need. 

They’ll be back to fitness soon enough.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, zab6359 said:

I know it shouldn't but it does wind me up seeing Jack post pics on instagram of him and SJM getting hammered.  When our foriegn players are enjoying there break but training too. 

he usually does post some gym pics on his holiday, just because he hasn't shown it doesn't mean its not happening

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

I’ll be a lot more confident of Grealish staying if United sign Sancho. 

Dortmund and Yanaated now:

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

I would say this to Jack: "Dennis Mortimer was, and is, a Villa legend. Captained the club to be English and European champions. He never got an England cap. Did you see him throw his toys out of the pram and ask for a move to a 'big club'? Don't be Fabian Delph. Be Dennis Mortimer ".

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I would say this to Jack: "Dennis Mortimer was, and is, a Villa legend. Captained the club to be English and European champions. He never got an England cap. Did you see him throw his toys out of the pram and ask for a move to a 'big club'? Don't be Fabian Delph. Be Dennis Mortimer ".

Grealish is not winning the league and champions league with us.

44 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

So you're suggesting Jack should end his playing career at SHA?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Nicho said:

Grealish is not winning the league and champions league with us.

Yeah I'm not sure Delph will look back at winning everything in England with regret, and playing in the Champions League.

I can't deny I'd like to see Jack play at the very highest level. He deserves it. But I don't want us to suffer for it either, and I'd worry if he left now that we're not yet in a stable place to invest properly and to build on what we have. We have too many weaknesses in the squad. I mean in the past, we lost too many good players and we ended up relegated.

Edited by Rolta
  • Like 1

On 04/08/2020 at 23:31, VillaChris said:

Blimey Joey a blast from the past! How are you doing?

It's interesting as I wonder what you think about the Kane situation? Like Jack he's on a long term deal but I really think in 12 months time he's going to have a major decision on his career.  Bit like Van Persie at Arsenal all those years back. Difficult to see Spurs doing much next season bar qualifying for the europa league again and he'll be 28. Lots of top strikers at the european clubs will have strikers in their mid 30s (Aguero, Suarez, Ronaldo, Lewa) so I can see a fair bit of movement. Add in Spurs losing the NFL games and all the crowds and having a shiny new stadium to continue to pay for and feels like you'll be in a similar situation unless he's ultra loyal and just decides to do a Shearer (and he'd already won a league title when he joined Newcastle).

Hey mate, if we don't make the CL this season, then I think Kane will be off. I actually don't think many Spurs fans would hold it against him. He'll be 28 next summer and he has to be in the CL. He's played 26 games in the CL and scored 20 goals. If he played every season, he'd get right up there with the best strikers in the competitions history, but to do that you obviously have to be in it. I don't think people fully recognise how much we struggle to beak teams down. If Kane was playing for City, I think he'd be getting 40+ per season, which you just don't see in the Premier League. Naturally I'd hate to see him playing for another club, but I'd love to see him benefit from playing with some of the best creative players in the world. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, joey55 said:

Naturally I'd hate to see him playing for another club, but I'd love to see him benefit from playing with some of the best creative players in the world. 

Well....Villa are looking for a new forward and Jack is pretty good.

A match made in heaven ;)

• Like 2

On 05/08/2020 at 04:44, AVFCforever1991 said:

Just hear me out, constantly selling your best players means we will be fighting relegation forever, we need to keep Jack and build the team around him. It's that simple, we've always sold off our best players , Milner, Young etc..I'm actually sick of it.

But that's why I used to Kane example, so you can see it from a more clear headed perspective. I'm not a Villa fan, so it's pretty easy for m to see that realistically you aren't keeping Grealish for much longer. He's way too good to spend his peak years as part of a rebuilding period. With Kane, Villa fans can so easily see that he won't stay at Spurs if we don't have CL football for 2 or more seasons and he wouldn't be with us now had we not consistently been in the CL. 

I think it's a question of accepting he's going to leave and then it becomes a case of recognising when the best time for that is. I think that's now, as it's a buyers market. There are so many decent players around that are potentially available for transfer that you will be in a uniquely favourable position to buy. I mentioned Eze, Brooks and Zaha. But there is also Benrahma, Sarr, Doucoure, Godfrey and Cantwell. I think this window is a great opportunity to spend money. 

When we sold players it's always been harder to spend the money as we've generally had pretty decent squads. Your squad is pretty rubbish. For example, I'm not a massive fan of Callum Wilson, but he's got be an improvement on Wesley. In a normal window, I think you'd be pretty down the pecking order to sign him, but not many clubs are going to have cash to spend. I'd say you'd normally have no chance with Zaha. But I think he's just had it with Palace now and feels like a prisoner. But I can't see a CL club going for him and suddenly anyone who can put a decent wedge down, is in with a shout. There are just so many examples like that around at the moment. So I don't see a better time to cash in on Grealish. I think if you asked other non Villa fans if they think the idea of building your team around Grealish is wishful thinking, I think they'd say it was. Most Spurs fans wanted to build long term around Modric, but anyone without emotional attachment could see he was always going to go to an elite club. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, joey55 said:

But that's why I used to Kane example, so you can see it from a more clear headed perspective. I'm not a Villa fan, so it's pretty easy for m to see that realistically you aren't keeping Grealish for much longer. He's way too good to spend his peak years as part of a rebuilding period. With Kane, Villa fans can so easily see that he won't stay at Spurs if we don't have CL football for 2 or more seasons and he wouldn't be with us now had we not consistently been in the CL. 

I think it's a question of accepting he's going to leave and then it becomes a case of recognising when the best time for that is. I think that's now, as it's a buyers market. There are so many decent players around that are potentially available for transfer that you will be in a uniquely favourable position to buy. I mentioned Eze, Brooks and Zaha. But there is also Benrahma, Sarr, Doucoure, Godfrey and Cantwell. I think this window is a great opportunity to spend money. 

When we sold players it's always been harder to spend the money as we've generally had pretty decent squads. Your squad is pretty rubbish. For example, I'm not a massive fan of Callum Wilson, but he's got be an improvement on Wesley. In a normal window, I think you'd be pretty down the pecking order to sign him, but not many clubs are going to have cash to spend. I'd say you'd normally have no chance with Zaha. But I think he's just had it with Palace now and feels like a prisoner. But I can't see a CL club going for him and suddenly anyone who can put a decent wedge down, is in with a shout. There are just so many examples like that around at the moment. So I don't see a better time to cash in on Grealish. I think if you asked other non Villa fans if they think the idea of building your team around Grealish is wishful thinking, I think they'd say it was. Most Spurs fans wanted to build long term around Modric, but anyone without emotional attachment could see he was always going to go to an elite club. 

Your reasoning from Villa's perspective is the only way we'll have money to spend is if we sell Grealish.  By all accounts this does not seem to be the case.

Conversely, buying some of the players you mentioned and adding quality around Jack might be more of an incentive for him to give it another year.  Then we've strengthened and kept our prized asset. 

9 hours ago, zab6359 said:

to be fair, I actually feel better that SJM is there with him.

I know he loves his drink and partying too, but I can picture him being the type to flick Jack round the ear and drag him home if it gets a bit too mental.

14 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

to be fair, I actually feel better that SJM is there with him.

I know he loves his drink and partying too, but I can picture him being the type to flick Jack round the ear and drag him home if it gets a bit too mental.

Nah, you know the quiet ones.

It'll be Jack who drags him home I reckon. 

• Like 1

Â