Global Warming

legov

How certain are you that Global Warming is man-made?  

132 members have voted

1. 1. How certain are you that Global Warming is man-made?

• Certain
    • Likely
    • Not Likely
    • No way

This poll is closed to new votes

1 minute ago, Panto_Villan said:

It’s all very depressing, but I feel like if either the EU or the US passed legislation forcing drinks to be sold in biodegradable packaging in say 5 years time, the big companies would be forced to figure out how to do it because those are such big markets. And once they’ve done it in one place, it’s easy to roll it out elsewhere too.

Its a bit like the rules on car fuel consumption in California and Europe that force companies to raise standards everywhere.

Problem being getting the rest of the world to follow after that. Africa, Asia, India... Plastic is cheap. 

One of the most graphic shows I've seen was driving through Uganda where plastic is everywhere along the roads, absolutely everywhere. And then crossing over into Rwanda where plastic bags and packaging is banned (they search you at the border) where the side of the roads are pristine and clean. 

Coca Cola and whoever might have incentive to make better packaging in Europe and North America, but will they bother for the rest of the world?

11 hours ago, one_ian_taylor said:

It's mad. Same here. And daffodils coming up. And for other plants, we and mild will probably mean hordes of slugs.  But then with the weather  being so  unpredictable, a heatwave or cold snap at the wrong time can completely bugger things up. Last year's apples were rubbish because of cold May weather for example, but this year's  weren't. And while that's  more of an annoyance when it happens in my garden,  when it happens on a large scale it's pretty scary. Food production is not longer nearly as predictable as it has been for decades. Unpredictability was pretty commonplace until  the 1950s ir so, but will be a nasty shock when it returns on a global  scale

Which is likely to drive us to more use of monocultures as we work out which crops work best with the changeable conditions. We'll just have to hope that no new crop diseases come along while people still have an aversion to GMO.

12 hours ago, one_ian_taylor said:

It's mad. Same here. And daffodils coming up. And for other plants, we and mild will probably mean hordes of slugs.  But then with the weather  being so  unpredictable, a heatwave or cold snap at the wrong time can completely bugger things up. Last year's apples were rubbish because of cold May weather for example, but this year's  weren't. And while that's  more of an annoyance when it happens in my garden,  when it happens on a large scale it's pretty scary. Food production is not longer nearly as predictable as it has been for decades. Unpredictability was pretty commonplace until  the 1950s ir so, but will be a nasty shock when it returns on a global  scale

Try "List of Famines" on Wiki - can't give a link because I can't quote a grid.

In the 1950s as many as 55m Chinese died of starvation.

A million or so in Nigeria 1968-72.

etc,

1 hour ago, MakemineVanilla said:

Try "List of Famines" on Wiki - can't give a link because I can't quote a grid.

In the 1950s as many as 55m Chinese died of starvation.

A million or so in Nigeria 1968-72.

etc,

Those two that you have mentioned are primarily as a result of a) ridiculous politics (the Great Leap Forward) and b) a bloody civil war (Biafra), not because of agricultural failings. Since the green revolution of the 40s/50s, famine as a result of agricultural failings has been extremely rare

3 hours ago, limpid said:

Which is likely to drive us to more use of monocultures as we work out which crops work best with the changeable conditions. We'll just have to hope that no new crop diseases come along while people still have an aversion to GMO.

Monocultures are probably risky as more diversity in crops should mean more resilience/biodiversity.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The Cherry Trees down our road have come into blossom. 

They only lost their leaves a few weeks ago. 

They're going to be **** if they start growing leaves now. I presume they'll die over winter then not have enough energy to start again in the Spring. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure where to put this but i guess here will do. Surely this is a windup? Click

Oxfordshire Council to Trial a Climate Lockdown Starting 2024

First published JoNova; Imagine if your power mad politicians liked Covid Lockdowns so much, they wanted to continue them indefinitely. This is going to be trialled in Oxfordshire in Britain.

Oxfordshire County Council Pass Climate Lockdown ‘trial’ to Begin in 2024

Oxfordshire County Council yesterday approved plans to lock residents into one of six zones to ‘save the planet’ from global warming. The latest stage in the ’15 minute city’ agenda is to place electronic gates on key roads in and out of the city, confining residents to their own neighbourhoods.

Under the new scheme if residents want to leave their zone they will need permission from the Council who gets to decide who is worthy of freedom and who isn’t. Under the new scheme residents will be allowed to leave their zone a maximum of 100 days per year, but in order to even gain this every resident will have to register their car details with the council who will then track their movements via smart cameras round the city.

51 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Not sure where to put this but i guess here will do. Surely this is a windup? Click

The language used in this article is absolutely ridiculous. It reads like an Alex Jones blog.

I have no idea if the story is true, but purely from the language used my instinct is it's based in truth and has been massively twisted to suit a far right narrative

Edit: after a very quick google it seems it's exactly that. It's basically similar to a congestion charge, just done with permits instead of charges. It's not a lockdown in any way shape or form. It's limiting private car use and encouraging walking/cycling/public transport in certain areas. If you insist on using your car you can still travel to the other zones freely, just not through the traffic filters (you have to go out to the ring road and back in again.

Dem you really need to stop getting your news from bullshit sources like this

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

The language used in this article is absolutely ridiculous. It reads like an Alex Jones blog.

I have no idea if the story is true, but purely from the language used my instinct is it's based in truth and has been massively twisted to suit a far right narrative

Thats why im asking has anyone heard if this is bullshit or not. I wasnt really reading this guys language as he seems abit sarcastic!

But the original story is from here

Click

Probably should have used this one.  Surely its bollocks cant do this kind of crap. Anyone from Oxfordshire?

31 minutes ago, Rolta said:

No offence, but after posting Dan Wootton and now this blog by a paid-up climate disinformer you may need to recalibrate your bullshit detector a little! 🙂

(I never responded about the Switch box—it's the grey one!!)

PM me if you want to rid of box mate that be appreciated 

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Thats why im asking has anyone heard if this is bullshit or not. I wasnt really reading this guys language as he seems abit sarcastic!

Click

Probably should have used this one.  Surely its bollocks cant do this kind of crap. Anyone from Oxfordshire?

As I said, it's true, but it's not a lockdown. At no point are residents "not allowed to leave their zones"

The articles you're posting are twisting it massively. They're total bollocks

It's congestion relief. As simple as that

PS I have no idea what this has to do with Covid

Edited by Stevo985
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

As I said, it's true, but it's not a lockdown. At no point are residents "not allowed to leave their zones"

The articles you're posting are twisting it massively. They're total bollocks

It's congestion relief. As simple as that

PS I have no idea what this has to do with Covid

Lockdown that has to do with covid no?

Also it says they will need permisison form the council to leave their zone so that is a lockdown IF that is true

Edited by Demitri_C

5 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Also it says they will need permisison form the council to leave their zone so that is a lockdown IF that is true

It's not true. At all. Like literally totally false.

You need permission from the council to drive through specific filters. If you want to drive to another zone you can do that at any point, you just have to go out to the ring road and back in instead of driving directly there. That's before you even get to the permits.

At no point are you not allowed to leave your zone. At any point you can go through the aforementioned filters by walking, cycling or using public transport.

7 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Lockdown that has to do with covid no?

This has nothing to do with Covid

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Click

This one is even worse :D 

A single person’s life will be at the mercy of Communists in central office, dictating the same type of draconian rules we had to avert the last crisis, a mild flu virus so deadly 80% of people didn't even know they had it.

Jesus christ.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

This one is even worse :D 

Jesus christ.

I knew you would love that part dav. 😂 Thanks for moving didnt know there  was a global thread.

I think the idea sucks personally 

Edited by Demitri_C

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

I knew you would love that part dav. 😂 Thanks for moving didnt know there  was a global thread.

I think the idea sucks personally 

You think the idea sucks because you've completely misunderstood what it is. Currently you think it's a mandated lockdown where nobody can leave their neighbourhood.

You're right, that's a terrible **** idea.

But it's completely made up

• Confused 1

Just now, Stevo985 said:

You think the idea sucks because you've completely misunderstood what it is. Currently you think it's a mandated lockdown where nobody can leave their neighbourhood.

You're right, that's a terrible **** idea.

But it's completely made up

It sucks because ut does nothing to help global warming 

As far as I can tell, the article is talking about the same thing that this article is:

https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/23154682.consultation-east-oxford-ltns-set-close-week/

This week marks your final chance to let the county council know yours views on the East Oxford Low Traffic Neighbourhoods (LTNs), as the public consultation is set to close.

The controversial scheme was installed in Divinity Road, St Clement’s, and St Mary’s in May under an experimental traffic regulation order (ETRO), with bollards and planters blocking access to vehicles.

The Low Traffic Neighbourhoods (LTNs) in East Oxford are part of a Government funded Active Travel initiative which aims to improve air quality, reduce carbon emissions and boost healthier travel choices.

I know you're not a fan of LTNs, so you won't be cheered up by this news, but there is literally no mention in any reputable news source about "permission to leave the area" or any of the other paranoid nonsense from that article.

It's the ramblings of a lunatic, honestly, convinced that evil communists are running some kind of deep state

• Like 1

Â