Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

I've been watching Hitler's Circle Of Evil.  They were all a bit bonkers really.  Somehow it feels a bit like it's relieving Hitler of a bit too much culpability for my liking, but perhaps that's inevitable due to the focus being on Goebbels, Himmler and the rest.  Still an interesting watch.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

I've been watching Hitler's Circle Of Evil.  They were all a bit bonkers really.  Somehow it feels a bit like it's relieving Hitler of a bit too much culpability for my liking, but perhaps that's inevitable due to the focus being on Goebbels, Himmler and the rest.  Still an interesting watch.

I watched this a couple of months ago, sort of fading in and out of properly focusing on it and having it on in the background.  I like the way they put it together; it felt like a good balance between dramatised reconstructions and historical information.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Troglodyte said:

On a few that have been mentioned recently, starting with The Staircase:

Reveal hidden contents

I really enjoyed it but, like Making a Murderer, couldn't help but feel we weren't getting a full picture of the case.  It wasn't quite as overtly biased as MaM and I know that the prosecution turned down the chance to be involved from the beginning, and that we couldn't possibly be exposed to all of the details in court without the series becoming a billion episodes long, but I still feel like any judgement I make of him isn't well enough informed for me to really have any sense of conviction either way.  That said, I wavered from thinking he did it, to not, and back again during the series.  Upon finishing I was leaning towards thinking he did it but the owl theory stuff is really interesting - it would be good if they could look into that more but it seems that those involved are happy to let things lie now, understandably enough.  The guy aged dramatically (I know it covered a few years but it did look to visibly take its toll on him) throughout the whole ordeal.  Interestingly, my wife felt almost the exact opposite to me: she felt he did it at the start, but there was a time in the middle where we both thought he didn't do it, and then by the end she felt he was innocent.

On Better Call Saul:

Reveal hidden contents

Awesome first episode but as others have said, you expect nothing less now.  Fantastic show.  Spoken to a few people who don't enjoy it so much, including some who found it downright boring, but it really is just a beautiful show to watch and the characterisation is excellent.

@PieFacE regarding why he might have been smiling at the end, I think it's a combination of all the things you mentioned.  This will clearly be the series where Jimmy morphs fully, or almost fully, into Saul and this has triggered it - he no longer has the moralistic condescension of Chuck hanging over him or the responsibility of keeping him healthy, and I think now he feels as ready as ever to stick two fingers up to the world - and Howard!  I do like that Saul is a very likeable character but is also very much capable of being a complete dickhead - sometimes in a way that you can sympathise with, and other times not.

And in terms of The Office, think I mentioned in here a few months back that I'd watched it for the first time and, despite not being able to stand Ricky Gervais in general, absolutely loved it.  I'm saving the Christmas specials for the festive season and it sounds like I'm in for a treat.

You're in for a treat. The christmas specials just tie everything up perfectly. I'd say the first part isn't that great (although it's still hilarious) but you need to treat it as exactly that, the first half of the episode. As a whole it's superb.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

F me how hard is handmaids tail to watch? 

Thank god this could never happen...

In all seriousness Attwood didnt put anything in the original book that hadn’t already happened in reality. 

Similarly Orwell’s ruling party in 1984 only used techniques which had been used in other totalitarian regimes.

I think the Handmaids Tale is a seminal work.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

In all seriousness Attwood didnt put anything in the original book that hadn’t already happened in reality. 

Similarly Orwell’s ruling party in 1984 only used techniques which had been used in other totalitarian regimes.

I think the Handmaids Tale is a seminal work.

At least they’re not racist.

"You can't ask that" - ABC TV

A show that asks groups of misunderstood, judged or marginalised Australians the awkward, inappropriate or uncomfortable questions you've always wanted to know the answers to, but always been too afraid to ask.

Check it out if you can access it.

"Q&A" - ABC TV

A show that puts a panel of punters, politicians and pundits together in the studio to thrash out the hot issues of the week. Audience members get to ask the panel questions.

On 09/08/2018 at 13:08, PieFacE said:

Staircase - Only click if you've watched it all.

Reveal hidden contents

I believe in Owl Theory :D 

I haven't heard about Owl Theory. I'll investigate!

On 13/08/2018 at 11:30, Troglodyte said:

On a few that have been mentioned recently, starting with The Staircase:

Reveal hidden contents

I really enjoyed it but, like Making a Murderer, couldn't help but feel we weren't getting a full picture of the case.  It wasn't quite as overtly biased as MaM and I know that the prosecution turned down the chance to be involved from the beginning, and that we couldn't possibly be exposed to all of the details in court without the series becoming a billion episodes long, but I still feel like any judgement I make of him isn't well enough informed for me to really have any sense of conviction either way.  That said, I wavered from thinking he did it, to not, and back again during the series.  Upon finishing I was leaning towards thinking he did it but the owl theory stuff is really interesting - it would be good if they could look into that more but it seems that those involved are happy to let things lie now, understandably enough.  The guy aged dramatically (I know it covered a few years but it did look to visibly take its toll on him) throughout the whole ordeal.  Interestingly, my wife felt almost the exact opposite to me: she felt he did it at the start, but there was a time in the middle where we both thought he didn't do it, and then by the end she felt he was innocent.

Spoiler

I've finished it now and I think I agree with your other half. At first I was sure he did do it. But by the end there was just such a lack of evidence with the blood spatter stuff shown to be nonsense

I agree that we probably don't get a full picture. There were parts where they were going over old evidence and court videos and I was thinking "We never saw that!"

I agree about the aging too. I think it was amplified by when you see him before he wins his motion for a retrial when he's still in prison. He clearly has a back issue which made him move like a 90 year old, and had affected his sleep which made him look awful. When we saw him at that point I was sure he would die before the end of the show.

Overall it's a good doc. My only issue is I think the stuff where you're seeing him with his family, and some of the interviews with him go on for way too long. I feel like the whole thing could have been 10 episodes and be fine with cutting some of that stuff out.

Great stuff again though. I'm always obsessed with the thought that there is only one person in the entire world who REALLY knows if he did it or not. And that's him. That concept always fascinates me.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I'm always obsessed with the thought that there is only one person in the entire world who REALLY knows if he did it or not. And that's him. That concept always fascinates me.

Absolutely. I wonder morbidly whether people like that will ever reveal something on their deathbed and we'll finally hear the truth years later, but it's usually the case that they take it to their grave. 

Spoiler

And although I couldn't really make my own mind up about whether he was guilty or not (and even taking into account that the editing of the trial and everything else was geared towards him looking innocent) I was very surprised that they found him guilty. Not in context of the show, as I assumed that would be the verdict because there were still several episodes to go and I imagined it added to the appeal of the whole series, but just that there still didn't seem to be evidence truly beyond reasonable doubt. Suppose it's down to what's considered 'reasonable'.

25 minutes ago, Troglodyte said:

Absolutely. I wonder morbidly whether people like that will ever reveal something on their deathbed and we'll finally hear the truth years later, but it's usually the case that they take it to their grave. 

Hide contents

And although I couldn't really make my own mind up about whether he was guilty or not (and even taking into account that the editing of the trial and everything else was geared towards him looking innocent) I was very surprised that they found him guilty. Not in context of the show, as I assumed that would be the verdict because there were still several episodes to go and I imagined it added to the appeal of the whole series, but just that there still didn't seem to be evidence truly beyond reasonable doubt. Suppose it's down to what's considered 'reasonable'.

Spoiler

Yeah I said watching it that there was no way they could convict him because I didn't see how they could not have reasonable doubt.

Honestly I think what got him convicted was the amount of blood. Doesn't matter if scientists tell you one thing, I don't think a layman can see all that blood and believe it came from falling down the stairs.

That's not enough to convict someone, but having watched loads of these documentaries, it's scary how little can get you convicted

• Like 1

So Penny Dreadful. Five episodes in. Does it conclude or was it cancelled without an ending?  Is it worth the time to watch? Then again not that I have anything better to do. But I am sure I could conjure up another series to watch.

6 hours ago, Withnail said:

So Penny Dreadful. Five episodes in. Does it conclude or was it cancelled without an ending?  Is it worth the time to watch? Then again not that I have anything better to do. But I am sure I could conjure up another series to watch.

It has an end, Albeit a bit of an abrupt one i guess. Apparently it was always designed for 3 seasons but nobody actually seemed to know this at the time and the finale wasn't advertised ahead of time as being "the end" so most people were expecting a season 4 when it originally aired. Watching now with a known 27 episodes total start-finish is probably better really. If you have watched 5 and enjoyed them you may aswell watch the rest.

• Like 2

I’m enjoying Disenchanted for what it is so far. Too many people are going in to it comparing it to Simpsons/Futurama and wanting it to be a cutting, edgy or whatever take on social commentary and coming away disappointed. It’s literally just a simple medieval themed fantasy cartoon that’s fun to watch. That’s it. It doesn’t need to be any different. If anything I’d compare it to Shrek with a tad more gore/sexual references but not ott. 

I like it.

Edited by Ingram85
  • Like 2

Â