Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

He's in a documentary on Netflix about the Arnold strongman competition, worth a watch, he doesn't do very well in that documentary but at the end they do some stuff about what's happened since and he's doing ok, he's up there with 2/3 older guys and apparently they don't stay in the game for long, Eddie hall has stopped competing 

12 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Did you know he is the worlds strongest man in real life? 

Not quite.

He’s come close a couple of times but he’s never won it. 

Edited by Stevo985

Last night my partner - who'd been reading the book - put on Walking the Nile - an explorer documentary thing by this Levison Wood chap doing the trek. Was interesting... except for the HOLY **** bit at the end, I was shocked.

It involved one of the journalists actually dying. It completely blindsided me, you're so used to these types of documentaries all passing off with only fairly mild issues, knowing that help is probably just around the corner. But this guy, who had joined the expedition with a friend to do an article on the chap doing the main trek for a few days, got heatstroke, whilst they were on a walk, and died within 2 hours of falling ill :o It was only supposed to be a 9 mile walk, I think, but slow going and 46 degree heat, they couldn't get any help out in time. Left me positively stunned, and then I wondered how the hell they carried on. All the stuff about him being experienced, and knew what he was getting into, came out, but bloody hell. 

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Went onto 4od to watch the 5th episode of Kiri. 

Turns out the 4th episode was the last one. Which is weird. 

Very unsatisfying ending. 

Interesting.

I thought although it didn't tie everything up with a neat bow, it clearly showed exactly where each character was heading.

I was very impressed with it overall.

28 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Interesting.

I thought although it didn't tie everything up with a neat bow, it clearly showed exactly where each character was heading.

I was very impressed with it overall.

I think because I didn’t realise it was the end at the time it hasn’t just taken me by surprise. 

I liked the show, just weird that that was the end. 

2 hours ago, Rodders said:

Last night my partner - who'd been reading the book - put on Walking the Nile - an explorer documentary thing by this Levison Wood chap doing the trek. Was interesting... except for the HOLY **** bit at the end, I was shocked.

It involved one of the journalists actually dying. It completely blindsided me, you're so used to these types of documentaries all passing off with only fairly mild issues, knowing that help is probably just around the corner. But this guy, who had joined the expedition with a friend to do an article on the chap doing the main trek for a few days, got heatstroke, whilst they were on a walk, and died within 2 hours of falling ill :o It was only supposed to be a 9 mile walk, I think, but slow going and 46 degree heat, they couldn't get any help out in time. Left me positively stunned, and then I wondered how the hell they carried on. All the stuff about him being experienced, and knew what he was getting into, came out, but bloody hell. 

I saw that when it came out a few years back and was similarly stunned. At the time, I remember thinking that the main chap was a complete word removed for the way he announced it in a video dairy in order to seemingly wring maximum drama out of the situation. Almost played it like a twist in the tale. (Though I’ll admit that I may be misremembering it.) I was shocked that the trip/show continued and wasn’t immediately cancelled. I certainly couldn’t bring myself to watch anymore. 

I'm surprised it has carried on. The trail for the next episode all full of smiles seems really out of place  but who knows. They took time out to reflect on it I think and the main guy wasn't sure or so he says. Being a former soldier I suppose he must have a bit of 'immunity to dealing with sudden death I guess. 

48 minutes ago, Zatman said:

last episode of Vikings (season 5 episode 10) is possibly the worst episode of a TV programme ever. Why do directors try to be arty when a tried and tested policy has worked for years

I thought it was OK. I could see what they were trying to do, by switching between the battle and pre-battle scenes, but they did perhaps overdo the number of "We are going to meet on the battlefield, and I am going to kill you" pairings. 

I'm a bit more concerned with the shifting balance between historical accuracy and implausible fantasy. 

12 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Went onto 4od to watch the 5th episode of Kiri. 

Turns out the 4th episode was the last one. Which is weird. 

Very unsatisfying ending. 

I kind of agree with what Designer1 said. Also, they left it open for a second series... 

• Like 1

Started watching Halt and Catch Fire this week. 

Surprisingly good stuff. Uses the historical backdrop and story of the 80s computing boom as a frame to tell the story of small tech company trying to muscle into the world of PCs, and kinda goes from there. Good cast, great soundtrack, compelling stuff.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Surprisingly good stuff. Uses the historical backdrop and story of the 80s computing boom as a frame to tell the story of small tech company trying to muscle into the world of PCs, and kinda goes from there. Good cast, great soundtrack, compelling stuff.

I very much recommend it, too.

3 hours ago, Chindie said:

I found it started out very good but dropped off pretty rapidly towards the end of season 1.

I just burned through 6 episodes of Mosaic over the last few nights. Really good and surprisingly Sharon Stone turns in a very good performance. Highly recommend it.

2 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

I found it started out very good but dropped off pretty rapidly towards the end of season 1.

I've everything so far, through to a few episodes into series 2.

There is a shift in series 1, as it moves perspective away from making the machine at all to working with it, together with the subplots in play, but I think it stayed really compelling throughout.

About my only complaint so far is series 2 feeling ever so slightly like a reset for the show.

1 minute ago, Chindie said:

I've everything so far, through to a few episodes into series 2.

There is a shift in series 1, as it moves perspective away from making the machine at all to working with it, together with the subplots in play, but I think it stayed really compelling throughout.

About my only complaint so far is series 2 feeling ever so slightly like a reset for the show.

It just fells to me like so many US shows.

It always seems to go something like this: Great premise, gets a pilot, gets green lit for a season. Great 1st 5/6 episodes, then it gets renewed and the writers suddenly think, "Oh Shit, we better sloooooow this down." The whole pacing of the show goes awry, and they start to focus on the characters development hoping the audience will develop a connection to them.

Not meaning to specifically diss HACF it's just a pet peeve of mine. Take an author. They would write novels at the pace, length and their own artistic intelligence that the story demands. I wish TV shows did this more - Breaking Bad being a great example.

On 2/10/2018 at 00:44, villa4europe said:

He's in a documentary on Netflix about the Arnold strongman competition, worth a watch, he doesn't do very well in that documentary but at the end they do some stuff about what's happened since and he's doing ok, he's up there with 2/3 older guys and apparently they don't stay in the game for long, Eddie hall has stopped competing 

I'd say there's only so long you can take a kilo of 'roids a day for. 

Â