Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

2 hours ago, Chindie said:

I think, though I'm not completely sure, the story of Danny Rand returning to reclaim his family company predates Batman Begins by decades. I think it might even predate the modern-ish take on Batman's origin where he traveled to the Far East to train by about 10 years as well.

Also very similar to oliver queen aka the green arrow. 

16 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Also very similar to oliver queen aka the green arrow. 

Queen's origin is very slightly different, the deserted island and teaching himself archery as opposed to being trained to kill a dragon to take its power in a mystical magic city to take the mantle of an 'immortal' guardian, the family company thing is the main similarity. Given that Green Arrow was literally designed to be Batman crossed with Robin Hood it's not a surprise there's crossover (the TV show has pretty much been a Batman show with different costumes at times, they even nicked half the villains from Batman).

Ultimately there's not that many origin stories in comics, and a bunch of popular characters have amalgams of various ones when boil things down. Iron Fist is Dr Strange crossed with Batman (mystical training in far off land plus dead parents and family business), Daredevil is Spiderman (accident gives powers, dead guardian)... Etc etc.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

The People V. O.J. Simpson next for me.

First episode was very good, despite me knowing that story inside out.

It's a shame it's shot like a B Movie though.

The acting sets it apart, by the end some of it is incredible (not CG jr though, he's awful imo)

I'm working my way through the espn documentary, not sure which was better to watch first

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

The acting seems very cheesy at the moment. Very overdramatic.

Like I said, it comes across as a B movie. 

Good though.

I would switch to OJ: Made in America if possible.

One of the best things I have seen it years. 7 hours worth of informative, engaging and interesting story.

• Like 1

The Pratchett docudrama-thing tonight was pretty damn good. Nothing particularly new to anyone that has followed his work and knows his story (there are actually sections taken verbatim from other documentaries he'd done) but still a fitting and interesting tribute. Paul Kaye is doing a little too much of a caricature than a true impression IMO, but it works and is judged right, and gives the show a slightly different feel to a biopic or retrospective. Neil Gaiman's section at the end was truly touching, I knew they were friends and respected each other, but that brief section shows a closer relationship than certainly I was aware of. Gaiman is also bang on with which was his best book.

A good watch. And raises the expectation of the forthcoming adaptations of Pratchett's work.

• Like 2

On 08/02/2017 at 21:59, Stevo985 said:

The People V. O.J. Simpson next for me.

First episode was very good, despite me knowing that story inside out.

It's a shame it's shot like a B Movie though.

On 09/02/2017 at 08:16, Stevo985 said:

The acting seems very cheesy at the moment. Very overdramatic.

Like I said, it comes across as a B movie. 

Good though.

Finished it.

The production/acting seemed a lot better after the first episode. Maybe they toned it down after the pilot or something? Dunno.

Anyway, it was very good indeed. Most of the acting was very good, if a little overdramatic at times, but mostly it was great. It helped that the truth was so dramatic anyway, but thought it did an excellent job of adding to the drama whilst still being faithful to real life events.

I was also amazed at how like the real people the actors were. Really superb stuff in that department.

My one negative would actually be OJ himself, or rather Cuba Gooding Jr. I think his likeness was the worst and his acting was lacking. Maybe that was how O.J. was, but he seemed to shout every single line. It was rather grating.

On 09/02/2017 at 12:32, AVFCDAN said:

I would switch to OJ: Made in America if possible.

One of the best things I have seen it years. 7 hours worth of informative, engaging and interesting story.

Moved on to this now.

Enjoying it very much. Seen the first two parts so far.

finished quarry, i liked it but there was something missing from it that i cant put my finger on, some bits of it felt rushed and underdeveloped, they ended some of the really interesting story arcs with pretty much no fuss whatsoever, nice ending though

watched the first episode of legion, thought it was shit

also watched the first episode of santa clarita diet, not sure on it yet, its strange to say the least, very much a throwaway 45 minutes

25 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

watched the first episode of legion, thought it was shit

I enjoyed it.

I thought it was very well put together and intriguing, and I really liked how off kilter it all was too.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, villa4europe said:

finished quarry, i liked it but there was something missing from it that i cant put my finger on, some bits of it felt rushed and underdeveloped, they ended some of the really interesting story arcs with pretty much no fuss whatsoever, nice ending though

I really enjoyed it. I enjoy shows where you're not sure if you're supposed to like the main characters or not. I do think it would have been a lot better if they'd somehow managed to get Joni and that dude who she worked with's sister in the same scene, and they could have done a bit of lesbo action. You know, cus it would have been good for the story arc and that.

Edited by dAVe80

I really, really like Tom Hardy and i think hes a superb talent but I think I'm gonna have to pack Taboo in. It's so bloody meandering and convoluted.

Edited by Designer1

16 hours ago, Designer1 said:

I really, really like Tom Hardy and i think hes a superb talent but I think I'm gonna have to pack Taboo in. It's so bloody meandering and convoluted.

I'm utterly lost with it. I spent almost the entire episode trying to work out where i recognised Ibbotson from (Auf Wiedersehen, Pet - obviously).

The fact that I'd spent the hour so utterly distracted by something so trivial told me all I needed to know about how into the show I was.

On 09/02/2017 at 06:41, villa4europe said:

The acting sets it apart, by the end some of it is incredible (not CG jr though, he's awful imo)

I'm working my way through the espn documentary, not sure which was better to watch first

Your right bruv ,the acting was incredible .

Recently found the Limmy show on gold and then started watching on Netflix. It's a bit hit and miss but when it hits it's bloody hilarious. 

One of the first sketches I saw was the Yoker one, had my in stitches, absolutely brilliant.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AVFCDAN said:

Recently found the Limmy show on gold and then started watching on Netflix. It's a bit hit and miss but when it hits it's bloody hilarious. 

One of the first sketches I saw was the Yoker one, had my in stitches, absolutely brilliant.

Falconhoof ftw.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

Your right bruv ,the acting was incredible .

That and the casting, make up and costumes (if that's the right word).

The likenesses to the real life people is superb. Again apart from Gooding. He's probably the least like his real life counterpart, which is a shame.

• Like 1

Â