Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

The penultimate episode of Fargo is sublime. Classic telly.

Lester Nygaard = Hero

Oh, put your hood up. I'd hate for your pretty face to freeze.

I don't find Lester a sympathetic character these days, he's got carried away with his success and is well out of his depth. I hope Malvo gets him.

He's doomed, gotten too big for his boots, should have backed down when he had the chance but couldn't face the thought of going back to the old Lester for even a minute, even if no one saw it. Malvo is a real wild animal, no rules, best case for Lester is prison, thought I'm convinced he'll die and Molly will catch Malvo when he kills him.

Well, you'll be pleased to know that the missus has decided we should watch Breaking Bad. 

So we watched the first episode last night. 

Sure, it was good. Pad it out to twice the length and you'd have a pretty enjoyable movie. No classic, but watchable. 

But... a full series of it it? No, wait... five full series of it??? 

My heart sinks, TBH. 

Edited by mjmooney

each to their own

I once watched the whole series of Bhudda of Suburbia, thought it was the best thing ever, the matching of the music to the politics to the personal voyage of dicovery..... persuaded everyone in the office to watch the last episode (in the days before they could 'catch up').

In the last episode, watched by my office on my recommendation, the main protagonist ends up in a gay sex thing with an older balder bloke.

The next day in work was quite tricky.

Well, you'll be pleased to know that the missus has decided we should watch Breaking Bad. 

Sure, it was good. Pad it out to twice the length and you'd have a pretty enjoyable movie. No classic, but watchable. 

My heart sinks, TBH. 

Wait, you're judging that after 1 episode? 

My heart sinks, TBH. 

Why not? How many do I have to watch? 

An hour or two of a chemistry teacher-turned-drug dealer is fine, but there my interest starts to wane. Better than Game of Thrones, mind. I baled on that within the first 20 minutes. 

However, I will certainly watch the next one, and I'll let you know. 

EDIT: Please tell me there's isn't a load of hip-hop on the soundtrack. That could be a deal breaker. 

Edited by mjmooney

My heart sinks, TBH. 

Why not? How many do I have to watch? 

An hour or two of a chemistry teacher-turned-drug dealer is fine, but there my interest starts to wane. Better than Game of Thrones, mind. I baled on that within the first 20 minutes. 

However, I will certainly watch the next one, and I'll let you know. 

Making the judgment you made is like listening to the first minute of an album and saying "ah it's alright, can't believe they made an 11 track album out of it though"

A film wouldn't do the first series justice, let alone 5 series...

To make that call after one episode is a little baffling to be honest, 

My heart sinks, TBH. 

• Like 2

My heart sinks, TBH. 

Mike, for me the best part of Breaking Bad is the quite incredible character arcs that take place over the five series. Where the main protagonists start and where they end up is a fascinating journey, it's also a journey which avoids many, many cliches and relies instead on tiny shifts and subtlety within each characters storyline which twists and moulds them into the people they become. It's also worth watching for the superb ensemble acting that brings it all to life.

One episode (or series in this case) isn't enough to judge it imo.

I just cannot imagine where it's going to go that will really interest me, that's all. 

Like I say, I'll give it another couple of episodes. But if I'm not hooked by then, well... life's too short (when you get to my age). 

My heart sinks, TBH. 

My mate didn't get into BB till season 2 - and went on to love it as one of the best series he's ever seen.

on the other hand, i was hooked within the first 120 seconds of episode 1 ... and then got bored of S2 & S3.

either way, S5 is some of the best TV you'll ever see.

Breaking Bad imo is one of those series that just gets better and better as it goes. The first season did start slowly and I think was affected by the Writer strike at the time, but as more and more characters are introduced and the plot twists and turns it just leaves you wanting more. Everyone I know who has seen it has said it is brilliant and says the same thing, that is thst they have felt compelled to watch the next episode almost immediatly. It is a series that I plan to buy on DVD and re-watch later in the year.

However, that is not to say that everyone will like it. My Wife didn't like it, I don't think she liked some of the violence in it, and didn't really get it.

TV series are like full-length novels (while the first thing a screenwriter looking to adapt a novel basically has to do is boil it down to a short novel (about 40-80 pages)).

OK, I'll trust the VT panel. I really wish it was just one or two series, though.

So I assume you know series 1 is 7 episodes? The following three consist of 13 episodes and the final one is 16.

The best TV series are long yet keep you interested without having to resort to filler.

Breaking Bad is that in every way.

It has a perfect arc. 

imo it gets better and better and better. It didn't become a classic, in my eyes, until the final season which was utterly spectacular.

That's how TV should be.

Â