Jez

He knows he is in a strong bargaining position if he believes City are interested in him. Do Arsenal really want to lose another player? Will they be prepared to put up with the wrath of the fans if that happens? TV money goes up by 71% next season, I would imagine that Theo is looking of a pay rise which reflects that.

Is that true?

I knew it was big but didn't know the exact figure.

And whats with this strange approach from spurs. Selling good players AND spending money to replace them with quality.

Weird man.

Hughes also signed Dembele for Fulham and Samba for Blackburn.... so he does have a good eye for talent. Just seems to also enjoy spunking loads of money on average players too.

QPR now trying to sign a Real Madrid player, WTF... their wage bill must be insane.

It's actually hard to decide if he deserves much credit for that or not. He signed Dembele as a winger and played him there. He wasn't anything special as a wide player in Holland, hence Fulham were able to sign him for a low fee. He wasn't anything special playing there for Fulham during Hughes reign either. Jol seems to have totally transformed Dembele, from an unproductive wide player or second striker, into one of the leagues most dominant central midfield players. So whilst Hughes signed him, I'm not sure he should get that much credit in terms of talent spotting, simply because he wasn't that talented in the role Hughes signed him for and played him in.

Dembele is a brilliant signing for spurs. And they are not done either, Still think they might get Willian and Lloris.

I haven't been this pleased about a signing since Modric. He's been the player I've most wanted us to sign all summer. I wanted us to try in Jan, as I thought we'd have no chance if we waited until now, as I was sure Chelsea would go for him. I suggested you guys try and offer a swap with Bent in Jan, as Dembele hadn't seemed to have caught the attention of most back then as he'd only just moved into CM and Fulham needed a striker.

Heard that spurs could be close to Moutinho, Good Signing if true.

I do wonder about AVB though, essentially he's ripping out alot of what was good about Spurs ie Midfield and he tried the same at Chelsea too, i get that he'll want to put his imprint on the place but he just seems to go about it the wrong way.

Moutinho is obviously a very good player and obviously I'd be very pleased if we signed him. However, for what he is, I think he's expensive. He's seems to be very efficient on the ball, but from what I've seen he doesn't seem to be the creative player I often read him described as. From the little I've seen I'd probably rather spend the money elsewhere, but certainly wont complain if we get him. It looks like we could lose VDV, so we really need a passing creative midfielder. From what I've seen of Moutinho he's not a patch on Rafa. I think he's going and I'll gutted to lose VDV.

Moutinho to me always looked like a really good water-carrier, technically good, always finds a shirt but doesn't seem to actually create a huge amount of chances.

£20m seems very steep.

That's pretty much what I think. But I generally read people describing him as a creative player, which I haven't seen a great deal of evidence for. I've even seen him compared to Modric, but other than them both being small and technically good, I don't see them being that similar. Modric is much quicker, dribbles and is very creative. Moutinho just seems good at keeping the ball, even in tough circumstances, which is a great asset for any side, but I'm not sure it's worth £20 million!

But I've not seen an awful lot of him, so maybe he's got more to his game than I think. I'm sure he'll be an asset to the team, which is the main thing. It's just he might be an over priced asset.

TV money goes up by 71% next season
Is that true?

Yes. The domestic TV rights have gone up from £1.7bn for the period of 2010-13 to £3bn for the period of 2013-16. It is a quite ridiculous rise, and it means anybody going down this year really is missing out on a huge pay day.

Overseas rights still havent been finalised (they are negotiated on a country by country basis) but are already up from £1.4bn to over £2bn and has only just gone to the second round of bids. The total pot of TV money has gone from £3.3bn to at least £5bn, and possibly as much as £6bn.

What does this mean? Well, this season the club who finishes bottom will get at least £39m in TV money. Every place in the league above that gets an extra £750k in prize money until you reach the club who finishes top who will get £60m in TV money. It's not to be sniffed at but from 2012/13 the money in the game will go up dramatically.

It's difficult to put an exact amount on by how much until the figures for overseas deals are finalised, but the article linked here does the maths for a lot of hypothetical situations. Even in an "worst case" scenario where the overseas TV deal stays the same (which it hasnt) then the bottom club will be pulling in at least £53m (up from £39m) in TV money. The club who finish top will get almost £90m (up from £60m) with each place in the league being worth £1.3m in prize money (up from 0.75m) which is a huge rise that agents and players are well aware of.

Most people seem to be expecting a figure somewhere in the region of the bottom club getting £60m+ a season and the top club getting nearer £100m. Parachute payments will go up for relegated clubs once again, and naturally there will be more talk of scrapping relegation altogether, and the "big" clubs like Leeds United, Nottingham Forest and Sheffield Wednesday who arent in the Premier League will be even more pissed off about just how much money they are missing out on.

Promoted clubs continue to do well at the moment in the Premier League so the scenario that everybody is **** if they arent in the top flight still hasnt proven to be true yet, and we are still seeing a decent number of "new" clubs promoted, rather than seeing the same four or five clubs yo-yoing but every time the TV money goes up the gap gets bigger and being locked out of the Premier League becomes ever more likely. Last year wasnt actually a bad year to be relegated, but it will be seen as a **** disaster for Wolves, Bolton & Blackburn if they dont bounce straight back.

As for the players at the top end of the table? £200k a week wont be an uncommon figure in two or three years time, especially when you consider all the money mentioned in this post does not include extra revenue earned from being in the Champions League.

granero to QPR is meant to be close, stoke have agreed a £4m fee for adam, berbatov has rejected juve and fiorentina

Ian Taylor just tweeted "A cheeky little bid for Charlie Adam? #avfc", hope its true.