Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/cricket/64959411

Cricket must look absolutely ridiculous to those looking in. Taking teams off before 90 overs are bowled in good weather, not starting early on the good days when you always lose time later, and of course they must have a full lunch.

as a casual cricket viewer (just test matches) i've always found this to be absolutely batshit crazy. you know theres going to be weather, so surely you adjust timings etc to ensure as much play as possible?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Milfner said:

I do think the over rate of 15 will just never happen tbh, it should be knocked down by 1 at least but then add 15-20 to each session and have a longer tea. 

I think 90 overs in a day is reasonable. Of spinners bowl they do it easily and Of they don't just play until they finish them 

17 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/cricket/64959411

as a casual cricket viewer (just test matches) i've always found this to be absolutely batshit crazy. you know theres going to be weather, so surely you adjust timings etc to ensure as much play as possible?

But it’s not necessarily fair is it, and cricket is built on a fundamental level of fair play (for the most part). This includes ensuring as best possible that each team bats in the same kind of conditions, or at least within acceptable parameters. Asking a team to bat over at the end of the day, when the lights drawing in and they’re tired after a full day already - isn’t fair. Weather can change too, even when it looks nailed on to be bad it’s sometimes not.

It’s obviously frustrating, in these circumstances particularly, but that’s cricket. 

2 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

But it’s not necessarily fair is it, and cricket is built on a fundamental level of fair play (for the most part). This includes ensuring as best possible that each team bats in the same kind of conditions, or at least within acceptable parameters. Asking a team to bat over at the end of the day, when the lights drawing in and they’re tired after a full day already - isn’t fair. Weather can change too, even when it looks nailed on to be bad it’s sometimes not.

It’s obviously frustrating, in these circumstances particularly, but that’s cricket. 

England batted in worse conditions than yesterday in Birmingham, against seamers too, and lost wickets there. It’s the lack of consistency that pisses me off. 

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Like 4

45 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

England batted in worse conditions than yesterday in Birmingham, against seamers too, and lost wickets there. It’s the lack of consistency that pisses me off. 

This is key for me. No way was is bad enough to restrict bowlers yesterday. The commentators were all bemused. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, PaulC said:

Yes that's another thing. Why the cut off point at 6-30 if the 90 overs haven't been bowled in the day. 

Agreed, it was also remarkable to see them still take the normal tea yesterday, after spending most of the day waiting for the rain to clear (although admittedly it then began to rain). 90% rain forecast until 7pm today, what a way to retain the Ashes for the Aussies. 

• Like 1

well at least there's no test at old trafford next time around so that's a positive, 

but we **** it in the first two tests, should have been going into this one 2-1 up minimum, could even have been 3-0 by now. I'm sure rain will dominate the narrative, but hope it doesn't mask some of the useless approaches in those first two tests

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, good series lads. 

I feel like we were working our way back into this test and anything could have happened with a full 5 days but what can you do about the Manchester weather eh?

See you all again in 2025 down under 👍

2 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

So glad they’ve left Manchester off next time.  Should be permanently struck off.

That shit arse of a city has ruined the most exciting Ashes series ever.

Or play the Northern test(s) first so that it won't jeapardise a whole series. 

Just left the ground to head home. So disappointing. It was dry when I arrived but they decided to start at 1 after lunch - nobody needed a break at that time! Real damp squib when we should’ve cruised this match - absolutely battered them. Make sure to win next week.

1 minute ago, villarule123 said:

Or play the Northern test(s) first so that it won't jeapardise a whole series. 

Or just **** them off.  Be a shame to lose Headingly but it’s currently raining in Leeds too.  

1 hour ago, Wainy316 said:

So glad they’ve left Manchester off next time.  Should be permanently struck off.

That shit arse of a city has ruined the most exciting Ashes series ever.

Yes been saying that to a lancs fan all day. He's not too pleased. 

Â