Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

8 minutes ago, MCU said:

Back to the cricket... am I the only one who's not a fan of Root? Far too inconsistent.

I think he's our best batman by far. Averages nearly 50 in over 100 tests. Puts him head and shoulders above the rest. 

I'm not convinced on his captaincy though. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Xela said:

I think he's our best batman by far. Averages nearly 50 in over 100 tests. Puts him head and shoulders above the rest. 

I'm not convinced on his captaincy though. 

The one world class batsman we have, but we always have to have our best players as captain. It puts too much pressure on them when they could be focusing on what they do best. KP the same 

• 2 weeks later...

Ha

at the Surrey game just now they panned into the crowd at some drunk woman affectionately stroking her partner as she talked to someone behind him  … all very sweet into he open Lee his mouth and started sucking on her tit , all be it through her dress

cue cameraman quickly panning away and commentators changing the subject

oh and Surrey need 56 from 4 overs and won with an over to spare if anyone cares 

Edited by tonyh29

On 13/06/2021 at 13:23, PaulC said:

The one world class batsman we have, but we always have to have our best players as captain. It puts too much pressure on them when they could be focusing on what they do best. KP the same 

Excellent comment IMO. Same as David Gower and even Botham. England don't seem to have an obvious Captain; but then I (personally) compare all prospective candidates to Virat Kohli who I think is superb.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Absolutely stunning catch in the women’s cricket (India), I’ve long lamented the standard of women’s sport but fair play, that’s about as good as it gets.

22 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Absolutely stunning catch in the women’s cricket (India), I’ve long lamented the standard of women’s sport but fair play, that’s about as good as it gets.

A lot of the stuff I've watched has been really good this summer.  Tbh it's only football where I don't enjoy the women's version.

Anyway the men's B/C team has hammered Pakistan again.

20 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Yeah absolutely amazing,  but look at how she was about to throw it back.........

troll GIF

• 2 weeks later...

I watched the Birmingham vs London game yesterday and must admit to quite enjoying it. I was obviously happy to see Birmingham win. I still don't know why they didn't just do it as a T20, but doesn't detract too much. 

It was good to see how many young people were there. Lots of kids and families, and they all looked like they were having a good time. If this is a gateway for getting them into other forms of cricket, I guess that's a good thing. 

• Like 1

So I presume that the one day cup which is going on concurrently with The Hundred, has depleted squads without the star players?

I can't see how this will not just lead further to a division between the larger counties based in the cities, and the provincial ones.

37 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

So I presume that the one day cup which is going on concurrently with The Hundred, has depleted squads without the star players?

I can't see how this will not just lead further to a division between the larger counties based in the cities, and the provincial ones.

Yeah, it is. And with players also being away with England it's really depleted the London Cup (50 over job).

Personally I think cricket being on the free to air normal telly is a really good thing for keeping/growing interest in the game. T20 would have been ideal, for me, rather than a new comp.

But the Hundred - there's good players and cricket is a fantastic sport, so the games will mostly be high standard and exciting.

Whether spending a whole ton of money on this new format as the right thing to do I'm extremely doubtful, but if it works, then great.

This one is a very one sided afair. Its good that we are getting cricket in free to air but the two games I have seen so far have been a bit dull. The Trent rockets look good especially their bowling attack. Malan looks class. 

Edited by PaulC

Even Mrs Sidcow has been putting it on and watching. 

The games have been pretty exciting (didn't see the Nottingham one) and gone pretty much to the wire.

If the reaction from Mrs Sidcow is typical I would imagine it will fulfill it's intention to instill more interest in Cricket.  She's even talked about getting some tickets. 

I really dont like how the draft system works, you got all sorts of players who are icons for their respective counties playing for teams in different cities.

What annoys me the most is how the Royal London cup has turned into a joke this season with second xi players playing.

You got Sam Hain who has an average over 50 in this competition away with Manchester Originals (cant understand how its not Birmingham Phoenix!) and he's not even making their team when he could be killing it for Warwickshire in the Royal London Cup.

Then to see Jake Lintott lining up against his proper home ground team tonight is frustrating to see.

I get they want to attract new vieweres,  but they are pissing off their exisiting viewers. 

This franchise stuff doesnt really belong here where we have history and teams over 150 years old.  

Â