Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

• 1 month later...

Helluva knock on debut for the NZ lad, think that makes it the highest ever score on test debut! 

Good to see Ollie Robinson taking wickets too, I think it’s a real shame that all the news around him has been about something he thought/said/posted a decade or so ago, it’s as if people don’t get that people mature a bit, particularly from who they are or what they think and say at age 18 or younger, obviously the times we live in though.

Not sure it needs to be punished by the ECB, at the time sure, but doing it now feels pretty redundant, definitely feels like they’re just reacting to what a section of society would no doubt be demanding.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Helluva knock on debut for the NZ lad, think that makes it the highest ever score on test debut! 

Good to see Ollie Robinson taking wickets too, I think it’s a real shame that all the news around him has been about something he thought/said/posted a decade or so ago, it’s as if people don’t get that people mature a bit, particularly from who they are or what they think and say at age 18 or younger, obviously the times we live in though.

Not sure it needs to be punished by the ECB, at the time sure, but doing it now feels pretty redundant, definitely feels like they’re just reacting to what a section of society would no doubt be demanding.

Shocks me that people go through 9 years of his social media content to find it.

• Like 2

Only the 7th highest test score on debut (not quite the highest as I said earlier).

And yeah, who’s bothered to dig it up and why, I don’t even know what he’s supposed to have posted, does anyone know if it’s really bad or not? 

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Only the 7th highest test score on debut (not quite the highest as I said earlier).

And yeah, who’s bothered to dig it up and why, I don’t even know what he’s supposed to have posted, does anyone know if it’s really bad or not? 

They are pretty bad but as people said he was young at the time, you would hope he has learned since then if not then we have an issue. You cant defend what he did but its also pathetic for people to scroll through his timeline 8 or 9 years for tweets

talk of a fine and suspension is a bit much, was similar when Mason Holgate tweets turned up from when he was about 14 

Edited by Zatman

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

"My new muslim friend is the bomb".

"The guy next to me on the train definitely has Ebola".

"I wonder if Asian people put smileys like this".

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

Poor old Burns might get stranded here.

Strange old innings by England; bat a bit, collapse a bit.

I was literally about to post what an amazing comeback it's been from England, entirely down to Burns and he gets out! 

That'll learn me. 

Doesn't change the sentiment though, they were in danger of being humiliated earlier, to end the innings only 103 behind is a amazing and gives them a chance of saving the game.  The follow on looked a distinct possibility earlier. 

It is quite apparent that I am no cricket expert but with this mini heat wave that started before Wednesday, wouldn't the weather  conditions have affected the pitch for a decent spinner ? Surely the ECB had  access to (fairly) accurate forecasts and include Leach or Bess on such a surface. Great win by Warks BTW.

11 minutes ago, veloman said:

It is quite apparent that I am no cricket expert but with this mini heat wave that started before Wednesday, wouldn't the weather  conditions have affected the pitch for a decent spinner ? Surely the ECB had  access to (fairly) accurate forecasts and include Leach or Bess on such a surface. Great win by Warks BTW.

I think it was said by someone far more knowledgeable than I (on TMS) that they sacrificed spin because the batting lineup was very weak

England's batting line up is generally garbage. I don't blame the players, we just don't seem able to produce test batsmen anymore. Whether that is down to young players concentrating on ODI/T20 now, who knows. 

We also don’t have a good front line spin bowler for test cricket. Ali has his moments but they’re few and far between, then you’re looking at Leach, Bess, Rashid but none have really shown enough when given the chance, it’s a real problem.

The players who went to the IPL are rested/not selected for England. Stokes, Buttler, Woakes, Archer (injured), Sam Curran…the batting and bowling would have been much stronger with them. But obviously bubbles, viruses and the like, plus it being a meaningless pair of matches in terms of the test championship means other players get a look in.

Much as I love cricket, there is so much of it for England this year that this type of thing, devaluing games was inevitable.

• Like 2

Â