Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

28 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

and a professional cricketer at the time of the tweets

This bit is actually not known, it's possible he was between contracts at Kent and Yorkshire. The actual timing of the tweets is yet to be determined

21 minutes ago, bickster said:

This bit is actually not known, it's possible he was between contracts at Kent and Yorkshire. The actual timing of the tweets is yet to be determined

He got sacked by Yorkshire for 'unprofessional actions' not long after.  It's possible that he has already been punished for the tweets, ot at least his general conduct, and is now being punished for a second time 10 years later.  Although I'm a Sussex fan I don't really know anything about how he is as a person and whether he has changed but I've not heard anything about his character.  I think Jason Gillespie was coach at Yorkshire when he was sacked and spent the last couple of summers as Sussex coach and picked him every game.

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

He may be a completely different person... which makes you wonder why those tweets weren't deleted or some sort of apology tweeted some years later.

Aside from "being caught" now, has he done anything to rectify/apologies for his racist tweets?  Genuine question, I have no idea.

I believe he has apologised for his tweets but don’t know when.

As for deleting his messages, he may have done but all it takes is someone else to capture the messages and repost them. Nothing is ever ‘permanently deleted’ from the internet in some format.

it’s the risk all social media users take when posting inflammatory messages. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

I believe he has apologised for his tweets but don’t know when.

As for deleting his messages, he may have done but all it takes is someone else to capture the messages and repost them. Nothing is ever ‘permanently deleted’ from the internet in some format.

it’s the risk all social media users take when posting inflammatory messages. 

Yeah, maybe.

Racist prick shown to be racist prick is OK in my book, really - irrespective of time delay.

• Like 1

Jack's driving incident was a literal criminal offence and had the potential to cause far more harm than an inflammatory tweet (literally could have killed someone), but we're fine with him playing for England.

I find it odd that the people who are most vocal that people should be permanently banned for this sort of thing are also generally supportive of rehabilitive justice. I think people shouldn't be branded for life due to their mistakes and that applies equally whether the subject is dealing drugs or racist tweets.

• Like 2

Exactly, the same people chastising someone for some crap they thought was funny when an adolescent are the same people watching Ant and Dec on a Saturday night, despite one of them having crashed his car whilst high.

We are infatuated with revisiting history and punishing people based on perceived evolved standards, if we spent half as much time looking at the future we’d be in a far better place all round.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Panto_Villan said:

Jack's driving incident was a literal criminal offence and had the potential to cause far more harm than an inflammatory tweet (literally could have killed someone), but we're fine with him playing for England.

If the driving thing had come out this week, even if it was years ago, I expect he'd be dropped.

It's all about being seen to not tolerate it while it's a story, and he'll be back fairly soon, I reckon.

26 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Yeah, maybe.

Racist prick shown to be racist prick is OK in my book, really - irrespective of time delay.

The tweets were stupid and offensive, but I think it's harsh to consider him a racist a decade later for some stupid tweets as a teenage edgelord on the internet.

I'm ashamed to admit when I was that age, I posted much worse than that thinking I was funny on 4chan. I'm bloody glad I had the sense to not be a dickhead using my real name!

A smack on the wrist to show they won't tolerate it and a public apology ought to be the end of it, imo. It was a crass comment trying to be funny, he wasn't burning crosses on people's lawns.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

If the drink driving had come out this week, even if it was years ago, I expect he'd be dropped.

It's all about being seen to not tolerate it while it's a story, and he'll be back fairly soon, I reckon.

I would too, but if it came out that he had a drink driving incident when he was 17?

I've no problem with a sportsman being dropped for racist tweets but there has to be a limit to how far you can travel back in time. At some point an apology alone should suffice.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

The tweets were stupid and offensive, but I think it's harsh to consider him a racist a decade later for some stupid tweets as a teenage edgelord on the internet.

I'm ashamed to admit when I was that age, I posted much worse than that thinking I was funny on 4chan. I'm bloody glad I had the sense to not be a dickhead using my real name!

A smack on the wrist to show they won't tolerate it and a public apology ought to be the end of it, imo. It was a crass comment trying to be funny, he wasn't burning crosses on people's lawns.

Sorry, I wasn't saying he is racist, just the more general point r.e: time delay.  A racist prick being shown to be a racist prick is OK with me irrespective of time lapse.

People naturally grow up and can change their views on things (certainly one of my best mates used to be racist and is no longer).

The suspension was inevitable really but just the one game is enough. There's no need for it to be extended into the India series. Assuming we take his apology at face value, an investigation shows nothing to indicate he hasn't changed and move on. Social media is poison and they're all better off off twitter, instagram etc or whatever is hip these days anyway. 

Craig Overton will replace Robinson apparently, he was suspended in 2015 for making a similar comment to a player

ECB not helping themselves here unless they have a one dodgy character quota they need to play a game

• Haha 1

He deserves a ban for being stupid enough to post it on his twitter in the first place. The times some of the posts were made were early hours of the morning so he may have been drunk but thats no excuse. He was a cricket player at the time. It was 10 years ago though and he has apologised and if he has had no incidents since then a one match ban should suffice. 

Michael Carberry doesn't think so

However, Michael Carberry, who played six Tests for England between 2010 and 2014, told 5 Live that Robinson "wouldn't be playing Test cricket" if it was up to him, adding: "I don't believe this is a problem where you can rehabilitate someone."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/57398052

Guess we'll order the firing squad then!

• Like 1

I'm sorry, but the way that Michael Carberry was talking today you would may mistake him for being a little Racist. He said he don't believe his (Ollie's) apology and said he should lose his career for the comments made as there is no rehabilitation or education for such comments. Trying to justify his comments he said, many BAME people have lost there careers for much less, so why shouldn't he.🤐

He is currently suspended until the investigation has been completed, how long it will take no body could comment.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I'm sorry, but the way that Michael Carberry was talking today you would may mistake him for being a little Racist. He said he don't believe his (Ollie's) apology and said he should lose his career for the comments made as there is no rehabilitation or education for such comments. Trying to justify his comments he said, many BAME people have lost there careers for much less, so why shouldn't he.🤐

He is currently suspended until the investigation has been completed, how long it will take no body could comment.

If you don't believe people can be rehabilitated or educated what's the whole point of BLM? May as well not bother as you're basically saying it's a waste of time. 

You (Carberry) can't take the line that peoples minds can't be changed. 

I change my mind about quite serious matters all the time.  I'm totally sure that if social media existed in the 80s I would probably have rants on there about what morons environmentalists were. 

Jesus some of the music I thought was the most important thing in my life age 15 I think is **** awful now. 

Even when you're 18 you really don't know shit about nothing and you're highly, very highly likely to (in my day say, in todays society probably post) something deliberately controversial for shits and giggles and to make yourself look a bit edgy, and you really don't know the difference between edgy and down right unacceptable. 

I do think you need to give people some slack for what they did when very young. But that doesn't make it in any way acceptable and they need to deeply understand that. 

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

If you don't believe people can be rehabilitated or educated what's the whole point of BLM? May as well not bother as you're basically saying it's a waste of time. 

You (Carberry) can't take the line that peoples minds can't be changed. 

I change my mind about quite serious matters all the time.  I'm totally sure that if social media existed in the 80s I would probably have rants on there about what morons environmentalists were. 

Jesus some of the music I thought was the most important thing in my life age 15 I think is **** awful now. 

Even when you're 18 you really don't know shit about nothing and you're highly, very highly likely to (in my day say, in todays society probably post) something deliberately controversial for shits and giggles and to make yourself look a bit edgy, and you really don't know the difference between edgy and down right unacceptable. 

I do think you need to give people some slack for what they did when very young. But that doesn't make it in any way acceptable and they need to deeply understand that. 

Completely agree. Darren Bent said something interesting this morning on talk shite (for a change). He said 10 years ago when he was playing, the black guys used to be called brothers by the other players, like (here come the brothers), which to be fair was acceptable and not even thought about. Now if a team member said it now, he would probably be warned about it. Even Darren Bent said he wouldn't wanna be called a brother anymore, as he would deem it an offensive slur. 

I also think though it's covered up in football a bit, especially with the bigger players or there not so interested in 10-20 years ago social media content.

If I was a pro footballer or cricketer I wouldn't touch social media. There was  a famous cricketer that has now retired that said the same thing to me. Jimmy Anderson now in touble. 

18 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Completely agree. Darren Bent said something interesting this morning on talk shite (for a change). He said 10 years ago when he was playing, the black guys used to be called brothers by the other players, like (here come the brothers), which to be fair was acceptable and not even thought about. Now if a team member said it now, he would probably be warned about it. Even Darren Bent said he wouldn't wanna be called a brother anymore, as he would deem it an offensive slur. 

Just as well Bent wasn't a paid up member of The Labour Party in the late 60's / early 70's. Quite a few members referred to other members as 'Brother'. And he certainly had better avoid 'The Revolution Will not Be Televised' - perhaps the most racist piece of 'music' I have ever heard.   

2 hours ago, PaulC said:

Jimmy Anderson now in touble. 

All for a jokey post he made about a good mate 

Its all very Orwellian now. 

• Like 2

Â