The Wrestling Topic

Vandrell

I havent watched wrestling in about ten years, but I loved it back in the day. My dad bought Sky for the Tyson - Bruno fight in 1989 when I was a ten year old kid and I got into the WWF in a big way pretty much from then. I think the first real memory I have was Wrestlemania 6, Hulk Hogan vs The Ultimate Warrior in a title vs title match. Amazing scenes. I probably watched it until around the time when The Rock, Steve Austin, HHH, The Undertaker and Mick Foley were the guys at the top of the bill, so 1998/1999 or something. I took my sisters kids to the WWE tour when they came to Birmingham last year, and I think I enjoyed it more than they did. I'll be the first to admit I have wasted more hours than is healthy watching old matches on YouTube (mostly from the late 80s through to the early 90s, lots of Jake the Snake and Ted DiBiase recently) and its still brilliant. A real guilty pleasure, but good fun.

The violence isnt real? No shit. They didnt real bullets when they filmed Die Hard either, doesnt mean its not a great movie.

I'm suprised that someone already into wrestling would stop in 98 or 99. They were the absolute best 2 years ever. The height of the attitude era and the Monday night wars between WWF and WCW. The change in direction to a more mature product. Wrestling was literally huge during this time. I don't think it will ever reach those heights again both in popularity and from a money making view.

i used to be into it big time I must have had nearly everyone of the toys you could get and my dad built me a proper wrestling ring (not one of the shitty plastic ones that smashed as soon as you dropped a wrestler on it) stopped watching it in about 1995/96 when I proper got into football

it was always about mr perfect

i used to be into it big time I must have had nearly everyone of the toys you could get and my dad built me a proper wrestling ring (not one of the shitty plastic ones that smashed as soon as you dropped a wrestler on it) stopped watching it in about 1995/96 when I proper got into football

it was always about mr perfect

The perfect plex

And henning wondered why he had a bad back

I thought that Wrestlemania was good but it wasn't as good as I was hoping or expecting it to be. HHH Vs Undertaker was the best match. I loved it when HHH spinebustered Undertaker through the Spanish announcers table. Undertakers 'streak' will NEVER end. Simply because one of the clauses in his contract is that he cannot lose at Wrestlemania. He had this clause put in his contract after he went 3-0.

I was disappointed with the outcome of RAW last night. The Rock will fight Cena at Wrestlemania 28. What a let down, having to wait till April 1st 2012 to watch them finally fight in a proper match is a piss take. Big risk too!

I'm suprised that someone already into wrestling would stop in 98 or 99. They were the absolute best 2 years ever. The height of the attitude era and the Monday night wars between WWF and WCW. The change in direction to a more mature product. Wrestling was literally huge during this time. I don't think it will ever reach those heights again both in popularity and from a money making view.

But it used to seem quite cool and dark back in the day.

I used to watch it when i was younger (i was about 11-15 at the time) but i remember the whole DX, Ministry of Darkness, Blood Baths, Rock and Stone Cold... and all of that used to be ace! But it seems that they no longer have the characters anymore, in fact... whenever i have switched it on it just seems like it's still living off the back of all that.

The fact that they brought back The Rock and Stone Cold for Wrestlemania this year show how badly they lack.

And EDGE is the world champion? Is he seriously the best character and wrestler they have? He was always a bit... meh...

I was disappointed with the outcome of RAW last night. The Rock will fight Cena at Wrestlemania 28. What a let down, having to wait till April 1st 2012 to watch them finally fight in a proper match is a piss take. Big risk too!

Indeed.

There is no way the fans will stay happy with the rock taking a back seat role for a year. Cena will absolutely own the feud in that case, he was already starting to get the upper hand (The "I bring it via satellite" tshirt was hilarious). The rock is already starting to lose a bit of the "omg it's the rock" factor with no fighting, and spots like raw last night won't be enough to keep the fans happy for a year.

The rock simply has to fight before then. I don't think I could stick through 12 months of fruity pebbles jibes and a couple of rock bottoms thrown in every now and then.

But then you have to look at who can the rock fight? Other than Cena only really Miz is "big" enough, and that'd involve giving the rock a title shot straight away, I can't see that happening. It'd also mean Cena didn't get one for a year if the rock won, and Cena deserves another shot at it, I'd be willing to bet wrestlemania will have the rock vs cena as a title match.

At one point last night though I did think we'd see a Rock/Cena tag team, he doesn't like him but he respects him so maybe that's not beyond the realms of possibility. Rock/Cena/Big Show/Kane destroying the corre would be absolutely hilariously one sided.

Dunno about that, my interest was waning and the people I had grew up watching were all leaving. When I think of WWF I still think of names like Randy Savage, Hogan, Roddy Piper, Brutus Beefcake, Demolition, Ted DiBiase, 'Hacksaw' Jim Duggan and Rick Rude.

The Monday Night Wars thing I never got. Unless I am remembering it wrong, it just never clicked this side of the pond. I dont remember WCW being a thing over here and the programs certainly didnt go head to head on a Monday night like they did in the USA. If I remember rightly, WCW was on after midnight on ITV or Channel 4 and I could never be arsed to stay up to watch it. Monday Night Wars is one of those things that people reading about it now think they remember, but unless they were living in North America at the time, they are mistaken.

WCW used to be on what is now TCM and think before that was on Channel 5 late on Thursday nights. I only heard of the War from magazines and the DVD they brought out later about it

I think the good era is whatever era was "yours".

I loved the late 90s because I was the age to be a wrestling fan. That 13-16 sort of age range.

And we may not have seen the Monday Night Wars directly (WCW was hard to find and it was shit), but the late 90s was when the "war" was at it's highest, which meant that the federations were going all out to outdo each other, which, at the time, led to it being much much better.

So I don't really remember the war, but it certainly contributed to the era that I liked so much.

BUt I'm like you Rev, the amount of time I've wasted going back to watch old matches is scary!

Another that hasn't watched this in over 12 years.

I was watching the wrestle anus build up show and surely that isn't the same undertaker from way back when?

Who was it he tombstoned 3 times in the very early 90's? I cried as I thought he had killed the guy, I think it was Randy Savage but not so sure.

Yeah the shows were never on Monday night here, We had the Firday night wars here. WWF was on sky sports and WCW on TNT (it was owned by Ted Turner) so we still had to choose between them.

The products of both companies were elevated during this time and after the Hogan heel turn in 96, WCW won for 83 straight weeks before Austin and the Attitude era finally won it back for WWF and this becoming wrestlings mosts successful time.

Both companies busted their ass to beat the other and there was also the excitement and rumour mills of wrestlers potentially jumping ship. I will never forget Jericho's WWF debut.

I am very glad I was 14 in 1999. I've always been a wrestling fan since despite it being nowhere near as good since about 2001.

Jericho's debut was surely the best debut ever?

Weeks of build up with no idea of what that countdown clock was (I don't know if other people knew who it was going to be, but I didn't).

Then when he actually debuted he had to deal with the Rock!

WCW used to be on what is now TCM and think before that was on Channel 5 late on Thursday nights. I only heard of the War from magazines and the DVD they brought out later about it

WCW was shown on ITV at about 2am in the week, Thurs IIRC and repeated it a couple of times too, just around the same time that ITV went 24hr with the 'Tune in, dropout' advert.

I know as I worked permanent nights then and it was the only half decent thing on.

Weeks of build up with no idea of what that countdown clock was (I don't know if other people knew who it was going to be, but I didn't).

Undertaker at Survivor Series 1990. I remember watching it with my mates, we were all 10 or 11 years old at the time. I dont think any of us blinked!

Yes. Just head down to Sky's head office (British Sky Broadcasting - Unit 9, Grant Way, Isleworth, Middlesex, TW7 5QD) and tell then they owe you £20. I'm sure somebody will give you the cash.

Jericho's debut was pretty epic. I preferred WCW back then, but it was great to see someone I was a fan of get to fued with the likes of The Rock and such. I thought the nWo coming back was amazing too, the reception they got at No Way Out 2002 was outstanding.. just a shame they weren't used very well at all.

I was very into wrestling when I was a bit younger, but nowadays - especially with the PG rating - it's terrible.

Scott Hall FTW.

Â