The VT Baby club

kimmie

4 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

That's the main thing, glad he weren't born on a matchday

Or at the same time as a major signing!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Worse than that mate... Wife's brother is ginger, I'm hoping it's just the way the light is hitting his head... 

She banged her brother? Gross!

jk mate, congratulations

• Like 1

What do people class as first words?

As in, Jack is already saying "mama". But he's not REALLY saying it. He has just discovered how to make the "ma" noise and has strung it together. So sometimes he'll say "mamamamamamamamamama" or any number of "ma" in a row, but sometimes it's "mama"

He doesn't know that he's saying a word. But he is kind of speaking.

Does that count? :D His mom thinks it counts. I'm saying it doesn't.

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

As in, Jack is already saying "mama". But he's not REALLY saying it. He has just discovered how to make the "ma" noise and has strung it together. So sometimes he'll say "mamamamamamamamamama" or any number of "ma" in a row, but sometimes it's "mama"

I suspect if it was dadadadadada that's a nailed on first word. 

• Haha 1

On 21/06/2022 at 15:57, Stevo985 said:

Objectively, I reckon it needs some basic understanding or intent, if he says it while looking around for her, absolutely

But I'd just let her have it :D 

• Like 1

On 24/06/2022 at 12:21, Davkaus said:

Objectively, I reckon it needs some basic understanding or intent, if he says it while looking around for her, absolutely

But I'd just let her have it :D 

Haha oh I actually want his first word to be Mama. I'd feel bad if it was Dada. She deserves it.

It's more that I don't want us going round bragging that Jack is talking when he's 5 months old when he's really just making noises.

16 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Haha oh I actually want his first word to be Mama. I'd feel bad if it was Dada. She deserves it.

It's more that I don't want us going round bragging that Jack is talking when he's 5 months old when he's really just making noises.

They go in massive leaps. Nothing for months, then suddenly a dozen words. Then another long wait, and another sudden increment. Goes on like that for the first 3 or 4 years. 

When our eldest was about two, she was doing simple sentences like "I want some more", "Where is Teddy?", and so on. Then one day at the dinner table she looked at her mum and said: "The trouble with you is, you're TOO OLD".  Knife, fork and jaw all dropped. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, mjmooney said:

They go in massive leaps. Nothing for months, then suddenly a dozen words. Then another long wait, and another sudden increment. Goes on like that for the first 3 or 4 years. 

When our eldest was about two, she was doing simple sentences like "I want some more", "Where is Teddy?", and so on. Then one day at the dinner table she looked at her mum and said: "The trouble with you is, you're TOO OLD".  Knife, fork and jaw all dropped. 

Not on to sentences like that yet but my 2 year old daughters 5th or 6th word was tortoise, I was gobsmacked 

She has an animal puzzle and me costantly saying her bring me the tortoise that's my favourite taught her the word

She can name a lot of animals and make animal noises but she still can't say cat or dog, the ones that we taught her the noises for are the ones that she can't say 

Can't remember what her first word was, the first word she could say in English and in German though was more / mehr, she knows about 10 words in both languages, leans more towards english in general as we have a lot of German books that my wife reads the story to her properly while I don't I just point at things and say the word, her mom reads her 6 sentences in german about the mouse going to bed I point at the book and say "mouse" and "bed" so she's picking me up quicker 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Can't remember what her first word was, the first word she could say in English and in German though was more / mehr, she knows about 10 words in both languages

She is very lucky. Start them early, and kids that age can easily learn multiple languages. 

6 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

I am dead set on having my lad learn Spanish in line with his learning of English 

My lad went to a Spanish for toddlers class every week before lockdown and was getting really good. I struggled to keep at it during lockdown and he's massively regressed. Was the same with swimming. They'll learn super quick but you have to keep at it or it'll go just as quick. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, villa4europe said:

She can name a lot of animals and make animal noises but she still can't say cat or dog

My daughter really struggled with dog. She is 5 next week. It's only since starting school in September that we've got her to stop saying Gog and Gonkey. Although think it turned into a bit of a game because it was quite funny and endearing to start with. We would get her saying D D D D D then when prompted to say dog she'd still go Gog.

Edited by AlwaysAVFC
  • Like 1

On 28/04/2022 at 11:57, Genie said:

We had one of these. Place them in the cot, press play and leave. 

8cd7f2ae5eb5a158e175d21ecb887f8c.jpg

For my son it worked great, he’d go to sleep before the end. Not so much success with the daughter but still settled her down.

What is this called mate? Thinking about getting one

• 2 weeks later...
Â